iPod people - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

iPod people

Long story short, my older 5th gen iPod doesn't work with my alpine head unit in the car. The head unit requires version 1.3 or newer, and mine is still 1.0, hence the compatability issue.

I need to update to version 1.3. The problem is, the computer/hard drive all these songs and movies were on, is toast. Can I update the firmware without losing everything, or am I going to lose all the music on it? The laptop/iTunes I have for my 3gs doesn't have all this older music on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 05:50 PM
yes, jluv

Not sure about the 1.3 thing, but my 3rd gen Ipod Video has always worked fine with my 505.

Welcome to Alpine weirdness, Brent. Great units, but they can have the funkiest of little issues sometimes. I bet you'll get it all working though.

I don't have the answer to your question, because I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. How could you update the Ipod to 1.3 if you don't have Itunes? If you do have Itunes, I don't think you'll lose anything. I'm still learning, though. A year ago, I couldn't download a song onto my Ipod without help.

Good luck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
Not sure about the 1.3 thing, but my 3rd gen Ipod Video has always worked fine with my 505.

Welcome to Alpine weirdness, Brent. Great units, but they can have the funkiest of little issues sometimes. I bet you'll get it all working though.

I don't have the answer to your question, because I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. How could you update the Ipod to 1.3 if you don't have Itunes? If you do have Itunes, I don't think you'll lose anything. I'm still learning, though. A year ago, I couldn't download a song onto my Ipod without help.

Good luck!
haha. I ran by AutoSound on my way back from FtW to see if it would work with one of the floor units. He sold the demo 900 he had, so I tried it with the 407. Same thing. Not recognized, no workie. Went in to the sound room, and hooked it up to one of the cheap Alpine units, and it worked like a charm. Strange. The cheap unit had an older ipod connector.

I called Alpine Tech on the way home, and the guy on the phone said it should be compatible after looking at his list. He asked what version I was on (ipod version), and I looked and told him. He said something about the firewire only supporting 1.3 or newer, so that if I updated it, it should be fine.

I do have itunes. But it's on my laptop, and was just installed when I bought my iphone. So none of the music that is on this older ipod, is on this computer's hard drive, nor is it in itunes (on this computer). The computer all that old stuff was on, crashed. Hard drive is gone, so I can't get any of it back.

I'm trying to find a way to transfer the music that is already on this old ipod, to my new laptop. That way I can update the software (on the old ipod), and not worry about losing all the stuff on the old ipod. I think I may have found an answer though. Looks like a freeware program called ShareTunes will do what I need it to do.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 08:13 PM
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
haha. I ran by AutoSound on my way back from FtW to see if it would work with one of the floor units. He sold the demo 900 he had, so I tried it with the 407. Same thing. Not recognized, no workie. Went in to the sound room, and hooked it up to one of the cheap Alpine units, and it worked like a charm. Strange. The cheap unit had an older ipod connector.

I called Alpine Tech on the way home, and the guy on the phone said it should be compatible after looking at his list. He asked what version I was on (ipod version), and I looked and told him. He said something about the firewire only supporting 1.3 or newer, so that if I updated it, it should be fine.

I do have itunes. But it's on my laptop, and was just installed when I bought my iphone. So none of the music that is on this older ipod, is on this computer's hard drive, nor is it in itunes (on this computer). The computer all that old stuff was on, crashed. Hard drive is gone, so I can't get any of it back.

I'm trying to find a way to transfer the music that is already on this old ipod, to my new laptop. That way I can update the software (on the old ipod), and not worry about losing all the stuff on the old ipod. I think I may have found an answer though. Looks like a freeware program called ShareTunes will do what I need it to do.
if it's like the iphone, which i'm sure it is, then you lose everything when you "upgrade" the firmware...you'll have to load everything back on. the easiest solution for you would be to buy a program that will transfer the songs from you ipod to a computer, where you can compile them into an itunes playlist, put the new firmware on, and sync up all of the music. i can't remember the name of the software that does this, but i know that it exists...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post

I pod rip is one way.

You can also trick Itunes into reading the same as your old one. You also do have the option of merging the two together I think like 3 times because the itunes is also stored on a server.

Ipod Rip is the easiest way to get that music off though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang
Mike.. If you go faster than a 6.4 it would be a miracle - unless you have a strong tail wind. That thing is gonna spit chicken bones everywhere..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
ive come closer to 5's then you ever have, and will be deeper in the 5's then you will ever be...just tell me when you will be ready, ill be waiting...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:57 AM
is chilaxing

I use WinAmp for my "older ipods". It's a drag & drop style. If you still want to use Itunes,just plug in ipod using winamp and drag you music to the winamp library. Go into the options of winamp and it will tell you where the music is stored. Once you update you ipod software, you can then import all that music into Itunes folder and then resync.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Trailer Park Royalty

If you email the itunes support they can give you directions on how to move the music from your ipod to your laptop

03 cobra 450/443--2.93 upper, JLT CAI, o/r x, dumped flows, SRA w/3.73s
94 Z71-dd
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Colorado Dreamin'

I bought a program online to download songs off of any ipod in the past and it worked fine. I forget the name of the one i bought but it was like $10 from some website in the UK.

Wait, it was Pod Util or something like that.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Before the last 3-4 posts I did a search, and used CopyTrans per Slowhand's recommendation. Cost me $20, but it was quick and painless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement