Charter's new internet plans - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
BP
Keep your unicorns

Charter's new internet plans

I'm on HSI max which is marketed as 25mbps down and 2 up

But now they offer the "ultra" which is 60 down and 5 up.

It looks like they finally decided to compete with FIOS. I got an e-mail today telling me it was time to upgrade my modem from a DOCSIS 2.0 to a 3.0. With this speed on a 2.0 modem though I don't really see a reason to upgrade.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
While the speed is FAST, I'll still take Fios for the reliability.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
While the speed is FAST, I'll still take Fios for the reliability.
FIOS is more reliable in most places because it's in newer areas with underground utilities. I live in a fairly old community (1960s houses) so everything is on poles. My Charter has been rock solid reliable though for the last 3-4 years. Sure it's gone down maybe 20 times that I know of but even the electricity here goes down that often.

Don't get me wrong, if FIOS or Uverse were an option I'd have switched. I'm just glad to see that Charter is finally stepping up their game. In fact they've surpassed them both for now in maximum speeds on consumer level packages.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Lifer

What are they charging you for the max? and did you have get a package? I am thinking about canning my dsl.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWtechie View Post
What are they charging you for the max? and did you have get a package? I am thinking about canning my dsl.
I pay $54.99 without a bundle but I think it's normally $79.99. With a bundle it's obviously cheaper. It's charter so you have to call and threaten to cancel every year to get on a promo plan. That and their accounting still sucks! They might as well bill quarterly since that's how long it takes to get the billing accurate.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Lifer

Haha, man my internet sucks.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
Haha, man my internet sucks.

this is why I am leaving them, I work them and was told when I ordered my dsl dry loop you can have 6m. I told them no I can't we can only get a MAX rate of 8 at the xbox and I am about 3500 ft away, this knocks it down to 4m but they still oversold it to me. I went ahead and let them think they knew what they wer doing just to get the asshat off the phone. I hate charter but anything is better than slow ass dsl.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Gunga galunga

Well I'm going away from charter, and the only thing offered at my new house is AT&T DSL Honestly charter has been really good where I'm at, nearly zero down time and decently quick. The speed at my new house is 6mbps and is more expensive.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 AM
How you doin'

i'm on a 35/35 with fios and i can't tell the difference from my old 15/5 plan...i guess the innerweb hasn't caught up yet.

fyi, fios has a 60/20 plan (or something like that) as well...i guess that charter is stepping it up to compete.

the term "innerweb" is a joke, for those that want to correct it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

So is this ultra service available in dfw now? A quick search only showed it available in MO.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm Yer Huckleberry

I put in my address and it listed the 60mb service.

2008 GMC Sierra 1500
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2009 HD Street Glide
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord19 View Post
I put in my address and it listed the 60mb service.
ah, when i put in my address it also listed it, it isn't listed on the regular services page yet though, guess it hasn't been updated. And for the Ultra.....

I believe you get a $10 discount if you have tv as well. Damn, a lil pricey for me.

edit: looks like that was a fail, forgot photobucket shrinks it so much, the price a la carte is $109.99/mth
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

After speaking with several charter people, the ultra is not available yet, I did get a new modem earlier today and my upload speed went up some, guess my 4 yr old surfboard was holdin me back. Also my pingtime went down from 19 to 8 ms. Cool stuff.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Time Served

charter doesnt get it, you need upload speed! Their upload has always been terrible, FIOS is much better. 25/15 with FIOS for the same price as charter!

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammy View Post
charter doesnt get it, you need upload speed! Their upload has always been terrible, FIOS is much better. 25/15 with FIOS for the same price as charter!
I sold Fios for quite awhile, and they both have their ups and downs. I actually sold a guy in watauga who already had Fios and after I got an install date set up he told me he was going to keep Charter too! Lol, apparently he plays some online game where you're allowed 4 accounts logged in at once per IP, so after that he could do 8 lol.

I do wish Charter had more upload though... They just recently advertised that they were 'giving more speed for free'. My upload was supposed to go from 2 mbps to 3 mbps, it hasn't gone over 2.54mbps when tested. Or 317 KB/s when uploading, guessing that's the same.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Time Served

Biggest pain in the ass with charter was having to call in every 6 months to get put on a new "promotional" plan after the bill shoots back up. Had charter since the @Home days and when they asked why we were leaving thats what i told them, that and the shitty upload speeds.

I was then told that they now have contract prices like verizon, but too little too late. Would have left them years ago if we had another choice and as soon as we did, we left. Tired of their bullshit games.

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Founding Member

I pay $50 a month for this crap!!!

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I have been turned off twice at the apartment because some asshat didn't pay his bill and they refuse tomark my connection. When they come to disconnect someone, they see my cable plugged in and unlabeled and yank ours too. When I called they said it would be two days before they would turn it back on. Oh I was pissed.

Moving soon and going with Uverse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement