"Networked printer" issue. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Angry "Networked printer" issue.

I have my printer setup on my desktop w/ that PC used as the "server". On my laptop, I'm able to print from my UA but not from my wifes.

Both PC are running XP. The printer is installed as a Local Printer using the port name of \\DesktopPCName\HP_Printer on both of our accts but when I try to print from her acct I get an error saying Logon failure: unknown use name or bad password. This just started this weekend.

I'm having difficulty finding an answer that fits this scenario.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:55 PM
duh...duh....duh

How many PCs do you have on the LAN?

I ended up having a master browser issue, it was mighty gay. I turned one of my W2K servers into a WINS server, updated DHCP or static IP assignments and there have been no problems since.

Even on LANs, after a certain point we should probably be doing fully blown AD.

My '03 Sold.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

3 PC's. I call it my "server" because it's serves that purpose as well as a typical desktop. It also has the printer physically connected to it running XP MCE.

My lappy is runnin XP Pro and the third machine that serves a dual purpose(Vista Ulti). It's my [email protected] rig and runs Orb to be a media server outside of my house. I never use it for anything other than those two things.

The lappy and [email protected] rig are wireless, the XP MCE machine is hardwired to the Westell(Fios) router all w/ dynamic IP's. I'm able to browse any machine from any machine, although to see the files on the [email protected] machine, from either XP machines, you have to enter the username and password as if you were logging in @ boot. The lappy doesn't require that to be done each time but the desktop does. :huh:

Is that WAY to much info?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Very Interesting

sounds like she changed her password on her computer, and you have an account on the "server" with the same username, but not the same password.

Just give "Everyone" full control of the printer on the "server", and you won't have to use credentials to print

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt View Post
sounds like she changed her password on her computer, and you have an account on the "server" with the same username, but not the same password.

Just give "Everyone" full control of the printer on the "server", and you won't have to use credentials to print
Both PC have multiple UA's but the desktop/server/print server is the only one w/ passwords. She hasn't changed it in a while either.

The whole part about credentials is strictly for the [email protected] rig.

On recommendation, I created another UA on the PC w/ the acct not printing to see if it would print and it did. What would be causing her acct not to print? Is it worth it to troubleshoot the issue? If not, is there a "best way" or most efficient and effective way to migrate ALL her data from her current- non printing acct to the new one so that it looks and feels the same?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 07:46 AM
duh...duh....duh

OT a bit, but what does [email protected] do that requires accounts will passwords these days? I'm a [email protected] fan, just too lazy to maintain PCs doing it.

My '03 Sold.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Vista has p word by default and they just updated the [email protected] SMP client for A3 WU's and if they are finished in x amount of time you get a bonus for them but the catch is you have to use a "passphrase" that ID's w/ Stanford and it requires a p word on your UA.

Make sense?

BTW, my [email protected] rig sits in the garage w/ out a monitor, just a tower bu itself. I use logmein to remotely access/maintain it. It's an E6600 @3.12 24/7 and a 9600GT and 9800GT. I can't remember the OC on them ATM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement