iphone with factory tethering - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Professional Driver

iphone with factory tethering

My boss purchased a 16GB 3Gs (ver 3.1.2) about a month ago and his factory "settings" menu has the tethering option available. Anybody ever hear of this?

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. But if you google "iphone tethering enabled" you get all of the "how to" and not any real answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Rolling with the homies

He bought it brand new like that or used? Haven't heard of iPhones coming like that from AT&T. Does the tethering work?

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Professional Driver

Bought it new from ATT, yes the tethering works. After consulting my GF (who knows more about these than I do), we determined that based on the serial# it is actually a referb phone that he paid full price for. But since it had tethering enabled, I don't think he's going to argue with ATT over the $50 difference btw a ne vs. referb phone.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 09:26 AM
How you doin'

tell him to go to settings/general, then look at the bottom where it says, "profile" and see what it says. i'm curious if someone already put the tethering profile on it, especially if it's a refurb. maybe someone bought it, put it on it, then returned it because they didn't like it or something.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 11:28 AM
blank

You can tether without jailbreak by using behm. I know it works for OS 3.0 not sure on 3.1. On your iphone in Safari, type in and follow directions.

http://help.benm.at/help.php

Jailbreak i use MyWi. im posting this right now on a tethered Iphone. It's been nice because i havent had wifi in this hotel for 2 weeks.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Professional Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGGT40 View Post
tell him to go to settings/general, then look at the bottom where it says, "profile" and see what it says. i'm curious if someone already put the tethering profile on it, especially if it's a refurb. maybe someone bought it, put it on it, then returned it because they didn't like it or something.
I'll take a look at the profile. I just thought that if it went through Apple/ATT for a refurb, then it should have been set back to stock - they must have just missed it. He's holding off on any firmware upgrades for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0LiterRiceEater View Post
You can tether without jailbreak by using behm. I know it works for OS 3.0 not sure on 3.1. On your iphone in Safari, type in and follow directions.

http://help.benm.at/help.php

Jailbreak i use MyWi. im posting this right now on a tethered Iphone. It's been nice because i havent had wifi in this hotel for 2 weeks.
His is 3.1.2 and "Benm tethering" doesn't work above 3.0 - that's why I ended up jailbreaking a few weeks ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement