Vid Card Input Needed - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Vid Card Input Needed

I'm building a media pc, to hook up to my entertainment system.

The tv is a 65" Mitsu DLP. Main concern is finding a card that won't look like shit on the tv. Primary purpose will be watching movies and such, but I may game on it as well. Also, on reading reviews on the case I'm going to use, some people complained that certain vid cards were too large for the case, so that's a concern as well.

Currently looking at the Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT 1GB), which a friend recommended. Neither of us want to get this together and have any regrets about how I should have spent more, etc.

I'll be dl'ing blu ray torrents, so I want as high quality as I can get, also so I can game on it if I so choose.

The case is one of those made to look like a receiver. Zalman HD501 ATX Media Center.

Input is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:03 PM

Seems like that card should be just fine.... I know frys has 2tb usb hard drives for $159 now. you could build a pretty serious digital movie library with that space.

http://www.techspot.com/news/36545-a...70-review.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rd,2118-7.html
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Lifer

How much are you wanting to spend? If you want top notch I would suggest the ATI 5870 X2. This card is the best on the market IMO

Wanna see my care face?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

First link is dead, and I don't see the 5770 listed on the second?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:06 PM
dead

FWIW since you already have a ps3, you dont need a media pc.

you can download bluray torrents (720p MKV files) and stream them directly to your ps3 from your computer. same thing with mp3s.

all you need to do is install a program called PS3 Media Server (http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/)

you will want to have your ps3 wired instead of wireless and that's all.

the only other thing you might want to consider is an external hard drive depending on if you like to keep movies.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeski View Post
How much are you wanting to spend? If you want top notch I would suggest the ATI 5870 X2. This card is the best on the market IMO
I was trying to build it for under $1000, but I'm already over by $300, and the one you listed is double the price of the one I was looking at. haha

I'm not opposed to it, but holy shit...
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:09 PM
dead

of course, if you really want to build a tv pc for gaming, that's a different story.

personally i wouldnt want to play my pc games on my tv.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post

you can download bluray torrents (720p MKV files) and stream them directly to your ps3 from your computer. same thing with mp3s.

all you need to do is install a program called PS3 Media Server (http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/)

the only other thing you might want to consider is an external hard drive depending on if you like to keep movies.
Problem is, there is no other PC. Mine took a shit on me, so I'm without a computer at the moment. The thought process was to build a nice media pc, with the ability to game if I want, and just buy the wife a cheap ass laptop or netbook to surf the web.

The current build I'm looking at includes 2.25 TB worth of hard drive space.

The USB hard drives on sale right now tempt me, but I really would prefer them to not be external, as this is going in the entertainment center. The cleaner the look, the better.

Oh, and I have the cheap ass PS3. 40 or 60 gig, can't remember.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

momo - 720p blu ray torrent? What? I've been out of this for too long I guess, but should the blu ray be 1080p?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:16 PM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Problem is, there is no other PC. Mine took a shit on me, so I'm without a computer at the moment. The thought process was to build a nice media pc, with the ability to game if I want, and just buy the wife a cheap ass laptop or netbook to surf the web.

The current build I'm looking at includes 2.25 TB worth of hard drive space.

The USB hard drives on sale right now tempt me, but I really would prefer them to not be external, as this is going in the entertainment center. The cleaner the look, the better.

Oh, and I have the cheap ass PS3. 40 or 60 gig, can't remember.
cool, well you do have an alternative. if you have an office room or place for a pc already, build a nice gaming computer in that room and stream the media to the living room.
that way is really clean. no need for keyboards/mice in the living room.
yea internal hds are better IMO, just suggested the externals to add to your existing pc until you said it was busted.

the 60gb is the best ps3 built (built in ps2 chip). the 40gb is just as good as the early 80gb.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:18 PM
dead

Quote:
momo - 720p blu ray torrent? What? I've been out of this for too long I guess, but should the blu ray be 1080p?
oh, sorry, yea you can download 1080p torrents.
usually most of the MKVs out there are 720p simply cause it's like half the file size and they look pretty damn good.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Lifer

I have the 3870 X2 and I know for a fact it would be more than enough. I run 1900 X 1200 res on my PC, only because that is all my moniter can handle. Since you would be running 1080 i dont see why you would really need anything better...and I am sure you could find my card for fairly cheap now.

Wanna see my care face?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:22 PM
dead

which ever way you wind up going, try to decide if you will be streaming videos or gaming more or at all.

streaming hd movies is a cake walk and a $75 vid card will do just fine for that.
if you want to play new games in high res, high quality, you'll be looking in the $200+ market
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
cool, well you do have an alternative. if you have an office room or place for a pc already, build a nice gaming computer in that room and stream the media to the living room.
That may be the cheapest way out of this. I do have a place to put it. I just wish I could figure out WTF is wrong with my old computer. I can't figure it out for the life of me. I'd be fine with fixing whatever the problem is, and adding USB hard drives to my heart's content. Problem is, this pc was built 7-8 years ago, and parts are likely impossible to find, if I could even figure out the problem.

The program you mentioned, I assume that's to be dl'd to the pc, not the ps3, correct? My ps3 is already hardwired, so no issues there.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:31 PM
dead

Quote:
That may be the cheapest way out of this. I do have a place to put it. I just wish I could figure out WTF is wrong with my old computer. I can't figure it out for the life of me. I'd be fine with fixing whatever the problem is, and adding USB hard drives to my heart's content. Problem is, this pc was built 7-8 years ago, and parts are likely impossible to find, if I could even figure out the problem.
What's your computer doing or not doing?
Dont get me wrong, I'm all for building a computer for gaming but it seems that's an afterthought for what you want to really use it for. I'd hate to see you spend 1k to do something that might be free or damn near.

Quote:
The program you mentioned, I assume that's to be dl'd to the pc, not the ps3, correct? My ps3 is already hardwired, so no issues there.
Yes, you install the program to the computer you want to stream from.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
What's your computer doing or not doing?

Yes, you install the program to the computer you want to stream from.

Dont get me wrong, I'm all for building a computer for gaming but it seems that's an afterthought for what you want to really use it for. I'd hate to see you spend 1k to do something that might be free or damn near.
Turns on for about 15 seconds, then shuts off. I've already replaced the power supply. Twice. I can't even get it to stay off long enough to get in to BIOS or anything.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:37 PM
dead

Quote:
Turns on for about 15 seconds, then shuts off. I've already replaced the power supply. Twice. I can't even get it to stay off long enough to get in to BIOS or anything.
maybe mobo. maybe processor.

you can try testing each stick of ram by removing one at a time and seeing what happens.

chances are you do need to build a new one.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 06:23 PM
is chilaxing

If you want clearest 1080p picture,I would suggest a rip off the actual BR disk. If you're fine with a just pretty clear picture,then what Momo said will do you just fine. Since I have 3TB's,I actually rip only the movie from disk and stream it to ps3 using PS3 Media server. Only ones that can not stream to ps3 are the VC-1 formats. Don't worry about that if you go the DL route. I'm actually reading up on HTPC. Hope to start that sometime next month.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
The 5770 is a lesser performer in gaming than the previous gen 4870 BUT it has a protected audio line for DTS... over HDMI that the 4xxx doesn't have. I'd come outta pocket for the 5870 and you'll be good for some time.

Post total specs and we'll see if there's some place you can save geedus via a different config.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 10:38 PM

not sure what the link problem was - worked for me.... but here's the first article. The 5770 is newer than the Jan. ranking list from the second article...

TechSpot
ATI Radeon HD 5770 Review
in-house feature
By Julio Franco, TechSpot.com
Published: October 13, 2009, 11:05 AM EST
Last month AMD unleashed what went on to become the world’s fastest single-GPU graphics card by a convincing margin, the Radeon HD 5870. This was followed shortly by a slightly watered-down version known as the Radeon HD 5850. The latter has proved to be very competitive, playing second only to its bigger brother and at just $260, it stands without a doubt as the best value high performance offering available at the moment.

Continuing with the successful rollout of its Radeon HD 5000 series, AMD is now moving to attack the sub-$200 market, and hopes to keep the momentum going with the Radeon HD 5770 and 5750. Codenamed Juniper XT and Juniper LE, respectively, the first is said to cost just $160, while the lower-end 5750 will cost between $110 and $130 depending on memory configuration.

We've been particularly interested in the ATI Radeon HD 5770, as last generation's Radeon HD 4770 was one of our all time favorite budget graphics cards. Although it came late in the game, its excellent performance and operating efficiency earned it an “Outstanding” mark, making it the top choice in the $100 range. We certainly expect to see these new series live up to those standards.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 06:17 AM
Lifer

If you want to stream 1080P to a ps3, both the computer and the ps3 need to be hardwired into the network. On H.264 1080P(54mb/s) 1000gb lan is really needed....

Now if it's in a compressed format, you might be able to get away with a 100mb lan or wireless N as long as there are not many other components on the network.

"His tricked out trans am guzzles every dime he brings home"

2004 RC SWB F150 5.4 - Saleen S/C'd 5.4 3V
1979 Pace Car - Not the usual mods
1984 Gt-350 - Trickflow'd 302
1992 Coupe - Vortech'd 393
1997 Viper GTS - H/C and Giggles

Buy my F-150 Vortech Setup! - Link
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 12:54 PM
lol, this place sucks now

Quote:

Been doing this exact thing for months now. It's awesome.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 12:58 PM
lol, this place sucks now

Quote:
I know it sounds retarded, but I was dealing with a PC doing the exact same thing. It turns out the DVD drive was killing power supplies somehow. Not saying it is that, but worth a look.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Time Served

Quote:
try pulling the power cord and removing the internal battery for 2 minutes then re install.

87 dps-- briggs and straton blockzilla * you can't piss on - what you can't CATCH ........ SOMETHING/SOMEWHERE is still stock.

9 sec 4 banger coming soon!!
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Lifer

You could always just go get an external hard drive and just save whatever you want to watch on it. Then simply plug in to the PS3 and watch, I have friend that does this.

Wanna see my care face?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement