Problem with Computer - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Problem with Computer

Alright so i posted awhile back about my grandfathers computer having some problem with the monitor not getting a signal. I figured i would put in a video card for his slim and nothing still so i had him take it back and i thought the storm had fried his motherboard. So i bought him the OE motherboard and installed it and still nothing it wont even pick up the on board video. I dont hear anything boot up either. What is going on??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 12:48 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

You get no beeps when you first power on?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 01:37 AM
Time Served

If it doesn't turn on at all could be the power supply.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

no it turns on but i get no beeps i took out his hard drive and put it on my computer and it kicks on and it picks it up so im assuming i bought a DoA motherboard i tried to take out the ram and everything but the proc and hsf and i took out the watch battery and replaced it and then turned it on and still no beeps... am i correct to a bad motherboard?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLFighta View Post
no it turns on but i get no beeps i took out his hard drive and put it on my computer and it kicks on and it picks it up so im assuming i bought a DoA motherboard i tried to take out the ram and everything but the proc and hsf and i took out the watch battery and replaced it and then turned it on and still no beeps... am i correct to a bad motherboard?
1. when it powers up but no beeps or screen thats called "NO POST"
2. Going to need the exact make and model of mobo, and ram ( did you check the timing?)
3. the "watch battery" is to backup your CMOS in case there is no power, taking it out wont clear your cmos unless you pull the power to the mobo, (some mobo have a jumper reset to clear cmos)
4. Is this onboard video or pci\pci express 16\pci express 16 2.0\ AGP?
5. once again, is this a store bought pc or did you build it...

I just reread your post, so with limited info, i can only assume you did the following errors. Some mobo's have been RMA'd but I think its user error on your part, and not the board.

1. The power switch (2 pin -\+) is not in the correct place or backwards. along with the reset pin\hd light pin\ pwr light pin
2. Your sata cable is loose (the usual symptom is the pc turns on but doesnt turn off or POST)
3. You did no plug in the atx power to the mobo correctly or and the 4 pin power plug
4. while replacing the cpu , you nicked it or did not wash your hands thus covering it in oil.
5. you shocked the board while installing cause of static .

Last edited by FordMustangLove; 01-30-2010 at 08:41 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

it is an HP s3500t and i used gloves when handling the processor. It is as simple as it gets when installing this motherboard and proc. I have double checked everything and when i turn on the computer i still have no signal to my monitor.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Time Served

I checked your board, its sata connections, MAKE SURE that you put the hdd in the right SATA port, some boards need hdd on speficic sata port numbers. I really do think its your sata connections. Try booting it up WITHOUT the HDD, AND Optical Drive sata connected to the board, if you get POST (boom you found your problem) *when you power up without the sata connection make sure you left everything else alone.

Also, are you sure you didnt nick the ram when you pulled it out?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Well i took pictures of where all connections go before undoing everything and then looked back when putting everything back together. For the nicking the ram part, i gently pressed the white clips to release the ram and put it on a non static bag and did the other ram the same and when putting them in i just reversed the process. But ill try and unplug the HDD and optical drive to see if i hear the POST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement