Sprint users cell phone advice - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Sprint users cell phone advice

So, i'm getting close to upgrading from my old palm treo 755p. I am considering the Samsung Moment. I just wanted to see what others opinions were on all the Sprint cell phones. Or if anyone knows of up coming phones in the near future. TIA

Don made me remove my sig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 03:15 PM
KJ94GT

I have the Samsung Moment. Got it when it first came out in November 2009 and I like it so far. Android 2.1 is supposed to be coming out soon from Samsung.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Licking the windows!

Close friend has the Moment and I just got the Palm Pre a little over a week ago. I like the idea of Android, but i think I am more impressed so far w/ the Pre.

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 12:55 AM

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Touch Pro 2.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I have the HTC Hero and I am very happy with it. My only complaint about it is the battery doesn't last very long. But I never expected it to, I spend a good bit of time on the internet each day and that really eats up the battery.

I have the updated Hero also. http://now.sprint.com/android/index....e_P_Sprint_HTC
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Also, As soon as you get what ever phone you do get. Call sprint customer service and push the button to cancel your service. When a retentions rep picks up, tell them you want the "20x24" plan. Basically it takes $20 off your bill for 24 months. Normally you would have to sign a contract for this, but since you just entered a new 2 yr contract when upgrading the phone, they waive the contract.

That is what I did, went to best buy and upgraded, Got the HTC Hero as soon as i walked out of the store I was on the phone with retentions and told them I wanted the 20x24 plan. They asked me "are we in danger of losing you as a customer" I said yes... and tada I am now paying $40 a month for the everything data 450 plan (I have a corporate discount also) Sprint gives discounts to employees of certain companies, So tell them you want the corporate discount also and when they ask what company you work for, Tell them you work for Pepsi.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:10 PM
<Insert Title Here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian22 View Post
Also, As soon as you get what ever phone you do get. Call sprint customer service and push the button to cancel your service. When a retentions rep picks up, tell them you want the "20x24" plan. Basically it takes $20 off your bill for 24 months. Normally you would have to sign a contract for this, but since you just entered a new 2 yr contract when upgrading the phone, they waive the contract.

That is what I did, went to best buy and upgraded, Got the HTC Hero as soon as i walked out of the store I was on the phone with retentions and told them I wanted the 20x24 plan. They asked me "are we in danger of losing you as a customer" I said yes... and tada I am now paying $40 a month for the everything data 450 plan (I have a corporate discount also) Sprint gives discounts to employees of certain companies, So tell them you want the corporate discount also and when they ask what company you work for, Tell them you work for Pepsi.

Does this really work? I signed my wife up on the Everything 450 plan for $69.99 and the rep at the sprint store assured me with our discounts and everything my bill shouldn't be over $134 total when added onto my existing SERO account. Well my first bill was $210 and now my second bill came in at $154...

This was back on December 12, 2009...am I too late?

Oh and as to the OP...the HTC Supersonic looks very promising.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP IT WORKED!!

I have never heard of this but I just got $20 off my wife's EP bill and I essentially only extended my contract by 1 month. THANK YOU...now I should be down to $134ish

Last edited by IHaveAMustang; 01-27-2010 at 12:18 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:17 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

At the moment in my humble opinion Sprint offers no good android based phones, the hardware is lacking. The OS is great though.

The Palm Pre is the only real option for sprint, The samsung moment is not very impressive in my opinion.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:25 PM
<Insert Title Here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
At the moment in my humble opinion Sprint offers no good android based phones, the hardware is lacking. The OS is great though.

The Palm Pre is the only real option for sprint, The samsung moment is not very impressive in my opinion.

You should check out what limited details there are on the Supersonic...

http://www.i4u.com/article30125.html

http://www.i4u.com/article30336.html

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x View Post
Touch Pro 2.
Is it actually available for sprint now?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
Does this really work? I signed my wife up on the Everything 450 plan for $69.99 and the rep at the sprint store assured me with our discounts and everything my bill shouldn't be over $134 total when added onto my existing SERO account. Well my first bill was $210 and now my second bill came in at $154...

This was back on December 12, 2009...am I too late?

Oh and as to the OP...the HTC Supersonic looks very promising.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP IT WORKED!!

I have never heard of this but I just got $20 off my wife's EP bill and I essentially only extended my contract by 1 month. THANK YOU...now I should be down to $134ish

Tell me about this, how easy was it? Did you seem like a dick for doing it? I have been w/ Sprint for a little over 10 years now. I was out of my contract until a week ago when I got my Pre at BestBuy and they re-upped me for two more years. I am not above calling in and telling them I will leave for a discount of $20 a month though. Please show me the way wise one....

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 07:26 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangstang View Post
Is it actually available for sprint now?
Looks like it.
http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASAp...SKU=PPCT7380SP

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:45 AM
KJ94GT

Quote:

The palm pre is in a whole different category than the Samsung Moment or any other android phone, and in my opinion, not even comparable. I preferred the Moment over the Hero based on hardware and performance. So, I'm not sure why the hardware is lacking on the Moment.
The Moment has a bigger screen.
Moment has memory that's upgradable to 32Gb. Pre is stuck at 8Gb (7Gb available)
Moment has 5.5hrs of talk time; Pre is 5hrs.
Moment has 3.2 megapixel camera; Pre has 3 megapixel.
Moment has an 800MHz processor; Pre supposedly has a 600MHz processor.

This information was found doing a simple search. I don't have any direct experience with the Pre.

Last edited by KJ94GT; 01-28-2010 at 01:01 AM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 02:18 AM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ94GT View Post
The palm pre is in a whole different category than the Samsung Moment or any other android phone, and in my opinion, not even comparable. I preferred the Moment over the Hero based on hardware and performance. So, I'm not sure why the hardware is lacking on the Moment.
The Moment has a bigger screen.
Moment has memory that's upgradable to 32Gb. Pre is stuck at 8Gb (7Gb available)
Moment has 5.5hrs of talk time; Pre is 5hrs.
Moment has 3.2 megapixel camera; Pre has 3 megapixel.
Moment has an 800MHz processor; Pre supposedly has a 600MHz processor.

This information was found doing a simple search. I don't have any direct experience with the Pre.
Let's keep this in perspective.

The pre has the same resolution screen - it's a few millimeters smaller. (because the pre is a more compact phone).
The moment comes with 2GB of memory - 1/4th of what comes with the pre (you didn't mention that). Also the pre is USB 2.0 - it shows as a hard drive on any computer with a USB connector.
The moment has 10% longer battery life - which is entirely based on how much you use it, essentially it's the same. (batteries are available to double and triple that battery life.)
The moment has 6% higher resolution camera - essentially identical
The moment has a 800Mhz processor. The palm pre has a OMAP3430 processor clocked via software at 600MHz. It is a spec multi-core 1Ghz processor. The Samsung Moment has the S3C6410 processor - an ARM11 generation processor - although the clock is higher, the OMAP3430 is architecturally faster... clock speed isn't everything. The pre has the same processor the Droid and iPhone 3Gs use. The clock speed of the Moment was used to sell phones.

And lastly, and most importantly - the Pre is just better received in reviews. I've had the opportunity to use a Samsung Moment when my Pre was being replaced for 4 days. both are good phones, but in my opinion the Pre is a better phone when compared to the moment. When a better Android phones comes out, I might switch. However, with Palm doing monthly updates to WebOS - the phone is getting faster, more optimized, and getting more features. Either way don't take my word for it - try both phones out. But as for the phones not even being in the same category? - That's ridiculous. Don't read spec sheets - use the phones.

Last edited by CJ; 01-28-2010 at 03:14 AM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:14 AM
$uper $low

My biggest complaint about the pre. . . .. the design. I can't stand to look at a pre.

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:46 AM
KJ94GT

Quote:
Let's keep this in perspective.

The pre has the same resolution screen - it's a few millimeters smaller. (because the pre is a more compact phone).
The moment comes with 2GB of memory - 1/4th of what comes with the pre (you didn't mention that). Also the pre is USB 2.0 - it shows as a hard drive on any computer with a USB connector.
The moment has 10% longer battery life - which is entirely based on how much you use it, essentially it's the same. (batteries are available to double and triple that battery life.)
The moment has 6% higher resolution camera - essentially identical
The moment has a 800Mhz processor. The palm pre has a OMAP3430 processor clocked via software at 600MHz. It is a spec multi-core 1Ghz processor. The Samsung Moment has the S3C6410 processor - an ARM11 generation processor - although the clock is higher, the OMAP3430 is architecturally faster... clock speed isn't everything. The pre has the same processor the Droid and iPhone 3Gs use. The clock speed of the Moment was used to sell phones.

And lastly, and most importantly - the Pre is just better received in reviews. I've had the opportunity to use a Samsung Moment when my Pre was being replaced for 4 days. both are good phones, but in my opinion the Pre is a better phone when compared to the moment. When a better Android phones comes out, I might switch. However, with Palm doing monthly updates to WebOS - the phone is getting faster, more optimized, and getting more features. Either way don't take my word for it - try both phones out. But as for the phones not even being in the same category? - That's ridiculous. Don't read spec sheets - use the phones.
You have valid points with of course a bit of bias
My biggest complaint about the Pre is that it felt cheap in my hands. The keyboard, slider, screen and whole casing felt cheap to me. When I tried both models (Moment and Pre) the Moment outperformed the Pre. Maybe my seat-of-the-pants meter is messed up, but the Moment seemed a LOT more responsive than the Pre. And about the memory, who wants to be limited to 8Gb of onboard memory? Not me. I like having the freedom to increase onboard memory with a TF card swap. It may not be a big arguing point, but it's still something to consider when choosing a handset.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:24 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ94GT View Post
You have valid points with of course a bit of bias
My biggest complaint about the Pre is that it felt cheap in my hands. The keyboard, slider, screen and whole casing felt cheap to me. When I tried both models (Moment and Pre) the Moment outperformed the Pre. Maybe my seat-of-the-pants meter is messed up, but the Moment seemed a LOT more responsive than the Pre. And about the memory, who wants to be limited to 8Gb of onboard memory? Not me. I like having the freedom to increase onboard memory with a TF card swap. It may not be a big arguing point, but it's still something to consider when choosing a handset.
Oh, it feels cheap. It feels like it's going to break - but it never does, I've beat the shit out of mine. And I absolutely have no need for a 32GB phone, I have a 64GB flash stick on my key chain - which I can plug into my phone and utilize if I need to. My phone still has 7.7GB free on it, and it has 4-5 albums on it. I honestly can say I really don't have any interest in how much space my phone has, I don't have any idea what I would store on my phone that is that kind of size.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Colorado Dreamin'

I am ready for an upgrade and am torn between these two (Pre and Moment). I haven't had the chance to hold / play with a moment yet but Leah has the Pre. I like most everything about the pre except I HATE the slider and keyboard. I have difficulty sliding it out and do not like the feel when typing. I like the idea of the moment's slide out which is very similar to an LG I used to have.

Anyone with more user experience on the moment? I'd like to hear a little more feedback on that from someone who has had it for a couple of months.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
I am ready for an upgrade and am torn between these two (Pre and Moment). I haven't had the chance to hold / play with a moment yet but Leah has the Pre. I like most everything about the pre except I HATE the slider and keyboard. I have difficulty sliding it out and do not like the feel when typing. I like the idea of the moment's slide out which is very similar to an LG I used to have.

Anyone with more user experience on the moment? I'd like to hear a little more feedback on that from someone who has had it for a couple of months.
I actually got the moment and I like it alot more than my wife's pre. The moment doesn't come ready with an app to remove old apps. Which is annoying till you do find one that will remove them. I think the battery sucks on the moment. I like the pre's web browser more as well. Only because you can make it bigger by using your fingers. The keyboard really takes alot to get use to with the big spacebar. After a week of using it, np. Alot of people who have held my moment. Consider it big, Been called a brick. Which I think with the case on it, it is. I also like the google part of the phone being able to use my gmail contacts and back it up thru google as well. I have no regrets so far. The most annoying thing so far is the way you have to turn the notification ringtone off everytime. Unlock the phone and touch the notif bar. Should be able to hit the volume button or something.

Don made me remove my sig
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06GTFanatic View Post
I actually got the moment and I like it alot more than my wife's pre. The moment doesn't come ready with an app to remove old apps. Which is annoying till you do find one that will remove them. I think the battery sucks on the moment. I like the pre's web browser more as well. Only because you can make it bigger by using your fingers. The keyboard really takes alot to get use to with the big spacebar. After a week of using it, np. Alot of people who have held my moment. Consider it big, Been called a brick. Which I think with the case on it, it is. I also like the google part of the phone being able to use my gmail contacts and back it up thru google as well. I have no regrets so far. The most annoying thing so far is the way you have to turn the notification ringtone off everytime. Unlock the phone and touch the notif bar. Should be able to hit the volume button or something.
How is the volume for calls? That was one of the knocks on the reviews and a pet peeve of mine. Also one of the things I hate about my current phone (HTC Touch).

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Founding Member

I have the Moment. Really like it alot compared to my touch pro except I am not use to the keyboard yet. I liked the 5 rows on the HTC.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 07:17 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06GTFanatic View Post
I actually got the moment and I like it alot more than my wife's pre. The moment doesn't come ready with an app to remove old apps. Which is annoying till you do find one that will remove them.
Really? It's not in Settings->Applications?

I didn't have a Moment; I just have a Google ION, which is more or less an HTC Magic. I like the Android OS. I like typing on an iPhone more (my Android phone didn't have a hard keyboard), but the predictive text on the Android is also nice. I think I'd like to try an Android with the hard keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement