JB iPhone or not? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

JB iPhone or not?

Bern thinking about jailbreaking my iPhone 3gs. Should I and why? I see so many horror threads about people having issues. What's the advantage of it being jail broke?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 12:33 AM
Ide fuck her in the ass..

it took me forever to jb my phone, and it was cool for the different themes and crap, but i think its given me more issues then i wanted, i wish i wouldnt have sometimes...

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez View Post
it took me forever to jb my phone, and it was cool for the different themes and crap, but i think its given me more issues then i wanted, i wish i wouldnt have sometimes...
Seems to be most people's response. I think I'm keepin this beatch locked down and in stock form

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 07:43 AM
Lifer

when i had my iphone, it was jailbroken from day 1.. wouldn't have one if i couldn't jailbreak it. just gotta know the ins and outs to keep it from bogging down

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 09:22 AM
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez View Post
it's simple to un-jailbreak...just back up your phone, restore to the factory firmware, then install the back-up that you created...you'll have a fresh factory phone with all of your non-jailbroken apps, contacts, pics, misc files, etc all back on it. it's about a 10-15 minute procedure and you're done.

personally, i really like my jailbroken phone, and i wouldn't have it any other way. i like all of the apps, themes, etc that i can run and i'm perfectly happy with it. i've never had any kind of issues with it and neither has my wife...she was skeptical at first, but since her last iphone 3g and her new iphone 3gs have been jailbroken, she doesn't want to go back. she's more of a theme person, and she'll download and change themes constantly. personally, i really like the bitesms app and i'd hate to go back to the standard iphone sms messages app. also, i like the sbsettings app that lets me toggle 3g, wifi, etc on the fly...actually, there are several apps and abilities that are popping into my head as i type this, but you get the picture. i'm a jailbreak fan.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 09:34 AM
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgaijin View Post
when i had my iphone, it was jailbroken from day 1.. wouldn't have one if i couldn't jailbreak it. just gotta know the ins and outs to keep it from bogging down
i've heard several people on the net talk about how their phones get bogged down, but i've yet to have anyone that i know complain about that after i jailbroke their phones. i have a friend with a 16gb 3g that ran really slow before i jailbroke his phone, and it still runs slow compared to any that i've seen, but it was always that way. he has about 30+ apps on it, so i don't know if that's why...i told him that i would clean it all off and start him fresh, but he declined.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Lifer

I can't keep an iphone working long enough to jailbreak it... on number 5 in 18 months.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGGT40 View Post
i've heard several people on the net talk about how their phones get bogged down, but i've yet to have anyone that i know complain about that after i jailbroke their phones. i have a friend with a 16gb 3g that ran really slow before i jailbroke his phone, and it still runs slow compared to any that i've seen, but it was always that way. he has about 30+ apps on it, so i don't know if that's why...i told him that i would clean it all off and start him fresh, but he declined.
most people i know won't even jailbreak cause they are pussy's... hell i was making my own themes and icons at what point, and had people asking for them all over the place. jailbreaking is awesome, you just gotta know what your doing i guess.

i always recommend howardforums.com and their apple forum.. they have an entire section for jailbreaking.. read a little info on there and you'll totally understand what you need to do.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Professional Driver

I finally jail broke my 16GB 3g last week - can't believe I waited so long!!!

The only issue I noticed today was that the battery life has been shot to hell. I fully charged last night, I made 4 calls this morning(no data). At lunch it was at 46% - 2 hours later it was at 42% when I downloaded a song; by the time was done downloading(3g ~5 minutes) it was down to 28%!!!

There doesn't seem to be any consistency to how quick it is draining.

My GF thinks it is my carrier file; I'm running a "benm" file. I haven't had a chance to search online yet, but if somebody has an idea please let me know.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:41 PM
dead

might as well, it took me like 2 mins using blackra!n and everything works fine.

have program called backgrounder so i can run pandora or simplify media in the background.

have a program called bossprefs which allows you to customize more of the phone. i did it to hide icons that i think are worthless like contacts, voice memos, i even hid the stupid jailbroken apps like cydia. i hate clutter.

and i enabled tethering.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Time Served

I wouldn't go back to a normal iphone either... Never had an issue with mine bogging down... I'm running a 3g and don't have that backgrounding app stuff on mine.. I do hear the 3gs has more memory and can handle running multiple apps in the background to allow swap on the fly... A friend of mine has the 3gs and has said he has had up to 10 apps running at once with no issue... But jailbreaking is as easy as going to blackra1n.com and download their program for either mac or pc, hook up ur phone to the computer and click on make it rain. Within a minute and half your phone is jail broken... select the black rain app it puts on there and install rock and cydia one at a time... Explore rock and cydia for themes and stuff or google to find out what can be done with your phone from there..
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
might as well, it took me like 2 mins using blackra!n and everything works fine.

have program called backgrounder so i can run pandora or simplify media in the background.

have a program called bossprefs which allows you to customize more of the phone. i did it to hide icons that i think are worthless like contacts, voice memos, i even hid the stupid jailbroken apps like cydia. i hate clutter.

and i enabled tethering.

Damn, read right past your post.... When you enabled tethering does it give you problems with your voicemail alerts? It seems like when I enabled mine it stopped notifying me that I had new voicemails...
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Time Served

who can jail break an iphone for me im clueless at this stuff
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad306 View Post
who can jail break an iphone for me im clueless at this stuff
You're pretty much clueless on everything. GFK
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Time Served

yep thats me
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 01:36 PM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman7482 View Post
Damn, read right past your post.... When you enabled tethering does it give you problems with your voicemail alerts? It seems like when I enabled mine it stopped notifying me that I had new voicemails...
i remember that.

it's fixed now. think you just have to navigate your phone to http://m.peacefulinsanity.com/Tether.mobileconfig

and that's all.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Time Served

Quote:
i remember that.

it's fixed now. think you just have to navigate your phone to http://m.peacefulinsanity.com/Tether.mobileconfig

and that's all.
This is actually quite a simple fix and it doesn't require you to download a .cfg file...

If you no longer receive voice mails it's because you're running a profile that's not up to date. The best way to enable tethering through your iPhone is through Cydia and not a downloadable profile to your iPhone.

Anyways, if you do not receive voice mails anymore, here is the simple fix.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

That's it.

And back to the iPhone tethering... There is a program on Cydia in which you can unlock a source and find a bunch of Cydia applications "jailbroken" in a sense. They're paid applications through Cydia that are free.

And that's the easiest way to enable tethering through your 3G or 3GS.

To find that and other great free Cydia applications like "Quick Reply SMS" you just have to:

Cydia > Manage > Sources > Edit > Add > http://www.sinfuliphonerepo.com/

You can enable tethering there through that source and find a bunch of awesome jailbroken applications through Cydia as well.

*NOTE* before you do enable your tethering through Cydia, make sure to delete your old profile that enabled your tethering.

Good luck!
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HmoobMike View Post
This is actually quite a simple fix and it doesn't require you to download a .cfg file...

If you no longer receive voice mails it's because you're running a profile that's not up to date. The best way to enable tethering through your iPhone is through Cydia and not a downloadable profile to your iPhone.

Anyways, if you do not receive voice mails anymore, here is the simple fix.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

That's it.

And back to the iPhone tethering... There is a program on Cydia in which you can unlock a source and find a bunch of Cydia applications "jailbroken" in a sense. They're paid applications through Cydia that are free.

And that's the easiest way to enable tethering through your 3G or 3GS.

To find that and other great free Cydia applications like "Quick Reply SMS" you just have to:

Cydia > Manage > Sources > Edit > Add > http://www.sinfuliphonerepo.com/

You can enable tethering there through that source and find a bunch of awesome jailbroken applications through Cydia as well.

*NOTE* before you do enable your tethering through Cydia, make sure to delete your old profile that enabled your tethering.

Good luck!

If he was running the old Benm (sp?) file then the reset wouldnt have fixed it. I had the same issue and I tried everything and the only thing that would fix visual voicemail was removing the config file.

I am trying the new one now though to see how it works.

**EDIT** Just tried the peacefulinsanity one listed above and restarted my phone and the tethering option isnt there. Im on firmware 3.1.2 btw

**EDIT2** nevermind, just noticed you have to have your phone jailbroken to use the new tethering fix. Ill have to do that tonight.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
If he was running the old Benm (sp?) file then the reset wouldnt have fixed it. I had the same issue and I tried everything and the only thing that would fix visual voicemail was removing the config file.

I am trying the new one now though to see how it works.

**EDIT** Just tried the peacefulinsanity one listed above and restarted my phone and the tethering option isnt there. Im on firmware 3.1.2 btw

**EDIT2** nevermind, just noticed you have to have your phone jailbroken to use the new tethering fix. Ill have to do that tonight.
He has to delete it and reset it so the visual voice mails would be sent. That profile is blocking the transmission of it through the network settings. You have to have internet/3G in order to utilize the visual voice mails. Hence, the resetting of network settings.

But, in order for him to have tethering and visual voice mail, his best bet would have to be the sinfuliphonerepo source.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:18 PM
fuckcanada

Quote:
have you tried proswitcher?

demo here
http://www.9to5mac.com/pro-switcher-...-iPhone-359346

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:56 PM
is chilaxing

Quote:
i remember that.

and that's all.

I had tethered on 3.0,but I updated and then jailbroke again, and lost it. I used the "ben" version of tethered on 3.0. I used another "tethered" program which didn't work,but killed my visual voicemail. I used that site above and got my voicemail to work,but tether still doesn't work, even though I still have the option to turn it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post

demo here

I just installed it. It's pretty slick. I like it. I also use categories to organize my programs into specific folders.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:37 PM
老师

I just jailbroke mine the other day, haven't gotten too far into it yet. Need a site that shows the best apps and what theyre used for. I HATE Cydia, so I got rid of it and put Rock on there, seems to be faster, smoother, more stable. The only reason I jailbroke it really was to get bitesms.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 12:16 PM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post

demo here
yea just did. not a big fan really. i prefer the simplicity of backgrounder.
this is cool if you want to flip between stuff.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Lifer

I just jailbroke mine again and holy crap the prices on these apps are unreal! $10.99 seems to be the norm. WTF?!?!?
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Professional Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
I finally jail broke my 16GB 3g last week - can't believe I waited so long!!!

The only issue I noticed today was that the battery life has been shot to hell. I fully charged last night, I made 4 calls this morning(no data). At lunch it was at 46% - 2 hours later it was at 42% when I downloaded a song; by the time was done downloading(3g ~5 minutes) it was down to 28%!!!

There doesn't seem to be any consistency to how quick it is draining.

My GF thinks it is my carrier file; I'm running a "benm" file. I haven't had a chance to search online yet, but if somebody has an idea please let me know.
update - Switched to the peaceful insanity tether config file and it seems to have straightened out my battery problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement