Fixing a Xbox game CD - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Fixing a Xbox game CD

My kids got Call of Duty for Christmas and for some reason it's got a "disc read error" and won't play.

Can you send them in to Microsoft for an exchange, or how do you fix this kind of problem?

Thanks guys..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:38 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
My kids got Call of Duty for Christmas and for some reason it's got a "disc read error" and won't play.

Can you send them in to Microsoft for an exchange, or how do you fix this kind of problem?

Thanks guys..
is it scratched? Has it worked before? That's not good news if it was working fine before, generally that's a precursor to the RROD.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
is it scratched? Has it worked before?
It has some minor scratches, but nothing that looks like it would keep it from working. It was working fine from Christmas until a day or two ago.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:40 PM
CJ

Quote:
It has some minor scratches, but nothing that looks like it would keep it from working. It was working fine from Christmas until a day or two ago.
either the drive in the xbox is going out, or it's going to RROD soon. Is this an older xbox? Does it have an HDMI output?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
either the drive in the xbox is going out, or it's going to RROD soon. Is this an older xbox? Does it have an HDMI output?
It just came back from Microsoft two days before Christmas. It had the RROD and was fixed.

It is playing HALO and other games just fine.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Retired Gun

Well, seeing that you are a cop....have a friend rent the game from blockbuster and swap copies. I do not condone this sort of behavior but, I also don't completely agree with the current $50 price tags for the games these days.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:49 PM
CJ

Quote:
It just came back from Microsoft two days before Christmas. It had the RROD and was fixed.

Are those games installed to the hard drive? Generally from my experience disc read errors happen just before they go out - especially if the disc is relatively unmolested and had been working previously. You can always polish the disk to get the scratches out - that could be the problem, but it usually isn't.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToRqUeTwIsTeR View Post
Well, seeing that you are a cop....have a friend rent the game from blockbuster and swap copies. I do not condone this sort of behavior but, I also don't completely agree with the current $50 price tags for the games these days.
That's funny! I would have never thought of that...
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Are those games installed to the hard drive? Generally from my experience disc read errors happen just before they go out - especially if the disc is relatively unmolested and had been working previously. You can always polish the disk to get the scratches out - that could be the problem, but it usually isn't.
I don't know if they are or not. I don't know how to install them, I'd have to ask the boys if they are.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:55 PM
CJ

Quote:
I don't know if they are or not. I don't know how to install them, I'd have to ask the boys if they are.
I have a copy of MW2 that's brand new I can bring over tomorrow and let them try it, see if it's their copy or the drive.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
That's funny! I would have never thought of that...
They have stickers near the spindle hole that let them know it is a BB owned game, if you try to peel it off, it tears so that it is known that it was tampered with.

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 05:06 AM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:

You probably didn't get the same unit back? I know I didn't. If you look at the front where the usb ports are there should be a sticker with the serial number on it, if its upside down its a refurb. In which case it doesn't really matter cause there's a 99% chance it had the same type of problem(RROD). I just had the video go out on mine again tonight, I'm really getting pissed off with the whole situation. As much as I love em..... xbox=fail
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
I have a copy of MW2 that's brand new I can bring over tomorrow and let them try it, see if it's their copy or the drive.
That will work. What time can you come over?
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangstang View Post
You probably didn't get the same unit back? I know I didn't. If you look at the front where the usb ports are there should be a sticker with the serial number on it, if its upside down its a refurb. In which case it doesn't really matter cause there's a 99% chance it had the same type of problem(RROD). I just had the video go out on mine again tonight, I'm really getting pissed off with the whole situation. As much as I love em..... xbox=fail
I don't remember the serial number on the console I sent in, but when I log into Xbox support, my console is listed as "Xbox Exchange Pro", so I'd assume it is. If it is, I wonder why it took them 4-5 days to "repair" my unit, when all they had to do is ship out another one. I guess it took them that long to disassemble mine and see if I had mucked with it before they sent out another one.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 06:57 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Matt, I had the same problem with mine except it was a different game. If the console is sitting upright, try turning it on it's side. If that remedies the issue, then the drive is going out, but may last a long time on it's side. Mine started it about 2 years ago and has generally been fine since. I'm dreading the RROD now, since the unit is outside of the MS 3 year RROD warranty.

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
Matt, I had the same problem with mine except it was a different game. If the console is sitting upright, try turning it on it's side. If that remedies the issue, then the drive is going out, but may last a long time on it's side. Mine started it about 2 years ago and has generally been fine since. I'm dreading the RROD now, since the unit is outside of the MS 3 year RROD warranty.
It's horizontal. I'm not sure what you mean by "side". I just got the damn thing back right before Christmas. It shows to have a warranty until mid-March. I'm just wondering why the other games will work just fine, but COD won't.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Lifer

Depending on where you bought it from, you could go back and buy the disc protection plan - it's normally $3-5 per game. You usually have the first 30 or 90 days to do that. I had to do that on a Wii game we got for my son at Wal-mart. They ended up replacing it, no questions asked.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:50 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
It's horizontal. I'm not sure what you mean by "side". I just got the damn thing back right before Christmas. It shows to have a warranty until mid-March. I'm just wondering why the other games will work just fine, but COD won't.
By "side" I mean sitting horizontal, just as you have it. I suppose it could still be the disc.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Lifer

there is a "toothpaste" trick out there that actually worked on a scratched up copy of tiger woods 09 that someone gave me cause they couldn't get it to work anymore, i googled the trick and tried it, got it to work enough to put the game on the hard drive...

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 12:10 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgaijin View Post
there is a "toothpaste" trick out there that actually worked on a scratched up copy of tiger woods 09 that someone gave me cause they couldn't get it to work anymore, i googled the trick and tried it, got it to work enough to put the game on the hard drive...
oh god don't use toothpaste, it will put a haze over the disc, use some proper polish. If the disc needs to be polished I'll bring over some 3m finesse tonight as well.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I ended up buying another game with the protection plan from Best Buy. It was the disc. The new one plays just fine.

Comparing the new disc to old there is a circular ring that is in the old disc that isn't there in the new. I guess when my youngest took the game to a friend's house for a sleep over the friend's machine made the suspect damage.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 12:20 PM
CJ

Quote:
I ended up buying another game with the protection plan from Best Buy. It was the disc. The new one plays just fine.

Comparing the new disc to old there is a circular ring that is in the old disc that isn't there in the new. I guess when my youngest took the game to a friend's house for a sleep over the friend's machine made the suspect damage.
what do you plan on doing with the old disc?
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Lifer

Quote:
oh god don't use toothpaste, it will put a haze over the disc, use some proper polish. If the disc needs to be polished I'll bring over some 3m finesse tonight as well.
it was just a free game that was scratched to hell and wouldn't load so i didn't care if it was ruined on that one. which is why i tried it, and worked enough to download it to the hard drive afterwards...

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Lifer

i polish mine out with a drill and buffing pad with a plastic polish just try and hold the cd tight cause it will throw it if you hit the hole in the middle

1995 cobra bolt ons red with black cloth 1.76 60'

13.27 at 102.83 6123' air ... in shop getting procharged d1sc canfield heads etc etc
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
what do you plan on doing with the old disc?
I'll do something creative with it!
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Fabrique National Fan

Quote:
I'll do something creative with it!
Exchange the defective one at Best Buy (they will defect it out and get compensated by the manufaturer) and sell the new one to recoup the money wasted on buying the same over priced product twice.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Retired Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MireFire 2.0 View Post
They have stickers near the spindle hole that let them know it is a BB owned game, if you try to peel it off, it tears so that it is known that it was tampered with.
Well....mine does not.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 01:04 PM
老师

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToRqUeTwIsTeR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MireFire 2.0 View Post
You people caused my shrink rates to go up by 50% when I worked at one of the Flower Mound stores after people started figuring out that they could do this.

FYI: Corporate stores are banned from using the stickers due to unforseen disc out-of-balance issues causing damage to machines and games. Franchise stores can still whatever the fuck they want.

I by no means condone this behavior, but Blockbuster is already closing stores left and right preparing for the big bankruptcy that is inevitable in this digital age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement