Xbox Comparison. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Xbox Comparison.

I would like to ask someone what makes the xbox360 elite better than just a xbox360. (other than the obvious harddrive and color difference). Is there a difference in materials or computer parts?(sorry for the stupid question) but I need to know before I buy one.

Last edited by warrjsmith; 01-16-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Lifer

Internals are identical except I think the elite has the HDMI out and regular model doesnt. Im not sure on that though, I know the older arcade models didnt have HDMI ports.

Biggest difference is like you said, the hard drive.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Lifer

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
Internals are identical except I think the elite has the HDMI out and regular model doesnt. Im not sure on that though, I know the older arcade models didnt have HDMI ports.

Biggest difference is like you said, the hard drive.

all new models come with HDMI out..

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
I just bought the arcade model and it has the HDMI. The only diff is coLor and hard drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgaijin View Post
all new models come with HDMI out..
OK well there ya go, color and hard drive is the only difference.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 12:17 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

The elites are always the latest 65nm core design, they run cooler. Much of the xbox's you will see on store shelves are the latest version, but not all. An elite would guarantee it. Also, elites have the new benq dvd drive - which is considerably quieter than the previous drives. And of course, they have bigger drives as mentioned previously. You can find non-elite drives with these, but it's difficult if not impossible to know if they have these newer upgrades before you buy them. An elite guarantees they do.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Lifer

someone told me that the ones with HDMI had the new core design?? I might be wrong (thats why I was thinking they are the same as the elite)... I haven't heard anything about the dvd drive

surprise surprise I busted out with advise with out knowing what the hell I was talking about haha...
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

The MOST important thing that separates the elite from the regular one is the heatsink. You are far less likely to have any of the failures that plague xbox's if you purchase an elite. The exception being the e74 error code. You can google it and you should see what I'm talking about.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Lifer

I wish they would have stuck those super quiet disk drives in the modern warfare models. Damn thing looks AND sounds like a piece of military equipment.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 08:15 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
I wish they would have stuck those super quiet disk drives in the modern warfare models. Damn thing looks AND sounds like a piece of military equipment.
My MW2 edition does have the benq drive... yours should...but with 250GB you might as well install your games... I don't ever hear mine.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangstang View Post
The MOST important thing that separates the elite from the regular one is the heatsink. You are far less likely to have any of the failures that plague xbox's if you purchase an elite. The exception being the e74 error code. You can google it and you should see what I'm talking about.
My brother has gone through 3 xbox due to the rrod. 1 premium, and 2 elites.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 01:06 PM
PVC Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
My MW2 edition does have the benq drive... yours should...but with 250GB you might as well install your games... I don't ever hear mine.
gotta love the 250 gig, I sure love mine

"Less talkie talkie more ping pong"
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
My brother has gone through 3 xbox due to the rrod. 1 premium, and 2 elites.
Well they're all a piece of junk but that goes without sayin right? If he's gone through 3 though....is he keeping it well ventilated? I got a 360 the day it came out, and the first one lasted me 3 yrs. The second one the graphics went out on me but I got it fixed and still playin on the same one. Screw payin microsoft when they're gonna give me another POS refurb.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention that when my original console got the red rings, I was letting a friend borrow it while out of town, it wasn't so well ventilated.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 09:54 PM
El Camino

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclestang89 View Post
gotta love the 250 gig, I sure love mine
Im about to try buying a bare hard drive and flash it to work on the 360.

If it works I'll have a 250gb for about $60 and can sell off my 60gb to cover some of the costs

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang2be View Post

If it works I'll have a 250gb for about $60 and can sell off my 60gb to cover some of the costs
How big are you looking at going? Best deal I've seen is a 500gb on newegg for $105. I've always toyed with the idea of flashing my own hard drive.

<-still rockin the original 20gb.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:09 PM
Lifer

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Censored

Quote:
How big are you looking at going? Best deal I've seen is a 500gb on newegg for $105. I've always toyed with the idea of flashing my own hard drive.

<-still rockin the original 20gb.
When I have an extra $120 around I will buy a 500gb drive.

Doors Done Rite
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Lifer

i bought my 360 a year ago, almost exactly, and found a 20gb hdd for $25. mine has the HDMI port also. the only problem i have had so far is after a race on FM3, it gets a bit choppy. mine is well ventilated also.

edit: im am thinking about getting one of those ad on fans for it. i dam sure cant afford to get another if this one goes south.

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Just hope you don't get banned
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
Just hope you don't get banned
people get banned for modding their consoles, the hard drive is not a part of the console, it is a separate piece, and how is microsoft going to detect the 'modded' hard drive? its not like they're going to be able to tell, it is running microsoft firmware on it right? how else is the xbox suppose to recognize it?
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:19 PM
CJ

Quote:

I've debated whether or not you can do this without getting hammered by microsoft. I've flashed and installed drives into xbox's all the way up to 1TB. However, I do know that microsoft has a push protocol to report your total data saved on system (not the composition of data, only the amount saved). The only reason they would query that data would be to see what size harddrive you have - possibly for sales figures to report the differences between elites, mw2, pro, etc. If you go over 250GB... it would be completely obvious you're using a aftermarket drive. Would they care? I don't know, I personally wouldn't if I was them, but they do have the ability to check that.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
I've debated whether or not you can do this without getting hammered by microsoft. I've flashed and installed drives into xbox's all the way up to 1TB. However, I do know that microsoft has a push protocol to report your total data saved on system (not the composition of data, only the amount saved). The only reason they would query that data would be to see what size harddrive you have - possibly for sales figures to report the differences between elites, mw2, pro, etc. If you go over 250GB... it would be completely obvious you're using a aftermarket drive. Would they care? I don't know, I personally wouldn't if I was them, but they do have the ability to check that.
16. Service Operation and Equipment.

The Service may only be accessed with an original Xbox, an Xbox 360 console, a personal computer, or other device authorized by us, or by logging into your account via Xbox.com . You agree that you are using only authorized software and hardware to access the Service, that your software and hardware have not been modified in any unauthorized way (e.g., through unauthorized repairs, unauthorized upgrades, or unauthorized downloads), and that we have the right to send data , applications or other content to any software or hardware that you are using to access the Service for the express purpose of detecting an unauthorized modification. Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Service, any game , application, or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console is strictly prohibited and may result in cancellation of your account and/or your ability to access the Service, and the pursuit of other legal remedies by Microsoft. Microsoft may take any legal action it deems appropriate against users who violate Microsoft's systems or network security ,this contract or any additional terms incorporated or referenced in this contract, and such users may also incur criminal or civil liability.

Damn, guess that kinda 'legally' limits the options. Haven't seen any mention of anyone actually getting banned, worst case scenario(not with hard drive) is the accessory not being allowed
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 09:15 PM
CJ

Quote:
16. Service Operation and Equipment.

The Service may only be accessed with an original Xbox, an Xbox 360 console, a personal computer, or other device authorized by us, or by logging into your account via Xbox.com . You agree that you are using only authorized software and hardware to access the Service, that your software and hardware have not been modified in any unauthorized way (e.g., through unauthorized repairs, unauthorized upgrades, or unauthorized downloads), and that we have the right to send data , applications or other content to any software or hardware that you are using to access the Service for the express purpose of detecting an unauthorized modification. Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Service, any game , application, or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console is strictly prohibited and may result in cancellation of your account and/or your ability to access the Service, and the pursuit of other legal remedies by Microsoft. Microsoft may take any legal action it deems appropriate against users who violate Microsoft's systems or network security ,this contract or any additional terms incorporated or referenced in this contract, and such users may also incur criminal or civil liability.

Damn, guess that kinda 'legally' limits the options. Haven't seen any mention of anyone actually getting banned, worst case scenario(not with hard drive) is the accessory not being allowed
Microsoft takes the "Ban first, ignore questions later" approach, so I wouldn't want to be the one that proves the rule.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
Microsoft takes the "Ban first, ignore questions later" approach, so I wouldn't want to be the one that proves the rule.
me neither, I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 09:57 PM
CJ

Quote:
me neither, I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others
haha, precisely.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Banned

Eh, I got my refurb console, that sits upright on the carpeted floor, been doing so for a year and a half since I got it and haven't had any problems. And there are many days where it's used for 8+hrs.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 02:09 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

I wish I had 8 hours in a day to devote to xbox
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Eh, I got my refurb console, that sits upright on the carpeted floor, been doing so for a year and a half since I got it and haven't had any problems. And there are many days where it's used for 8+hrs.
dont sit it upright, thats bad for it

and the hdmi outputs dont really make a diff. unless your TV is huge!
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Store Drop Out View Post
dont sit it upright, thats bad for it

and the hdmi outputs dont really make a diff. unless your TV is huge!
It's been sitting upright for nearly two years. I think it'll be ok.

What I've heard you're not supposed to do is change it from a flat position to upright while a disc is playing inside of it.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
It's been sitting upright for nearly two years. I think it'll be ok.

What I've heard you're not supposed to do is change it from a flat position to upright while a disc is playing inside of it.
if its upright and it gets rocked/barely moved you can ruin your disc as well. If I could affix it to something to ensure my games wouldn't get ruined I wouldn't mind keeping it vertical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement