ITunes Issue - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
How you doin'

ITunes Issue

i have a bunch of music on itunes that my wife and i have downloaded from the itunes store via the computer or iphone. well, i upgraded my operating system from vista to windows 7 and now all of those files that we downloaded from the itunes store are showing an exclamation point "!" next to them and the last time that i synced my phone with itunes, it removed all of the songs/albums that had the exclamation point. i can't seem to figure out how to get them back...do i need to send an e-mail to apple or something? they're all albums and songs that we've paid for, but we obviously don't have the physical albums. all of the music that i loaded from cds are still there...it's only the music that we downloaded via itunes. i'm guessing that they can do something about it since we have record of purchasing the music, but i haven't even tried to take that route just yet...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Lifer

Are those files you downloaded still on your computer? You might try removing all of your files from Itunes, if the files are on your computer, and adding them to your library again.

If not will it let you re-download them without paying again? If it wants you to pay then you'll have to email Apple I believe.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Every day is.............

Brad, my guess is that Windows 7 loaded the files as MP3 (or other Windows compatible) files and you'll need to covert them back to the apple format.

Have you clicked on the files to see if they play in iTunes, or do they load up in Windows Media player to play?

David

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajet69 View Post
Brad, my guess is that Windows 7 loaded the files as MP3 (or other Windows compatible) files and you'll need to covert them back to the apple format.

Have you clicked on the files to see if they play in iTunes, or do they load up in Windows Media player to play?

David
i don't know where it would have saved them at, but if i click on the files in itunes, it won't play them. what's strange is that it's only the files that were purchased from the itunes store...if windows converts files to mp3, then i would have thought that it would convert all of them...i don't know enough about that stuff to know, though. i tried looking in the itunes "music" folder, but there isn't any music there...only files named "library" or something like that. the files are very large, so apparently it keeps it elsewhere and uses that file to compile them or something. i don't know.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Lifer

If the files aren't in the exact spot that itunes was told they were in it thinks you deleted the song and won't allow you to play the songs. If you don't have the songs/albums that you purchased on itunes on windows 7 than you would more than likely have to get into contact with apple. I doubt windows 7 converted the files to mp3, but if it did than you should be able to import the files in their new format into itunes and all will be back to normal. Itunes is nothing more than a list of songs on your computer and a music player.

Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLilPony
If you call me, I'll have phone sex with you.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue302stang View Post
If the files aren't in the exact spot that itunes was told they were in it thinks you deleted the song and won't allow you to play the songs. If you don't have the songs/albums that you purchased on itunes on windows 7 than you would more than likely have to get into contact with apple. I doubt windows 7 converted the files to mp3, but if it did than you should be able to import the files in their new format into itunes and all will be back to normal. Itunes is nothing more than a list of songs on your computer and a music player.
the problem is that i don't have the slightest clue as far as where they would be on the computer. the songs were purchased from the itunes store, so i don't know where they download to. i've searched my music folders, but i can't find them...i don't even know where it saves the songs that i've loaded into itunes from my cds, but itunes shows that they're all there and plays those files just fine.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 02:24 PM

Have you tried doing a search in Windows with "Music" as the criteria? Shouldn't take very long.

Also, try right clicking on the file with the exclamation point next to it and see if you can click properties and see what type of file it is.

David
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Lifer

Good luck there are supposedly lots of reports that people who loose thier music they bought on itunes are SOL and are made to buy them again. My buddy had all his stuff stored on his netbook and it crashed yesterday and he said people all over the apple boards are pissed because apple is making them buy their music again. Sounds crazy but he has recovered them before so he knows what he is doing, just now apple is making him buy it again. He tried downloading one song and it charged him and even gave him a messege saying he will be charged for downloading that song again.

I hope you can find the file with the songs though.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Lifer

Brad, it sounds like iTunes is looking for those song names, but doesn't know where to find the actual files.

Do a Windows search for those songs. Look for *.mp3 or like David said, let Windows search for Music. When it locates the folder(s) with the songs you are looking for, go to iTunes, and open File / Add to Library.

A browser will appear. Go to the folder(s) that your songs are at and select the folder (not the files inside). All the songs there will now appear in your iTunes.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 04:01 PM

For this very reason I save all my music on an external hard drive.

Brad, I have TONS of music if you want to dl some. Some are not the highest quality but they work OK for just jamming tunes in the truck.

Let me know and I'll shoot a list of bands/albums etc.. and you can just pick & choose. Also, I listen to just about every type of music so I'm guessing I'll have [at least] some of what you lost.

David
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
Good luck there are supposedly lots of reports that people who loose thier music they bought on itunes are SOL and are made to buy them again. My buddy had all his stuff stored on his netbook and it crashed yesterday and he said people all over the apple boards are pissed because apple is making them buy their music again. Sounds crazy but he has recovered them before so he knows what he is doing, just now apple is making him buy it again. He tried downloading one song and it charged him and even gave him a messege saying he will be charged for downloading that song again.

I hope you can find the file with the songs though.
i've read similar while i did a few quick searches on the issue...that really sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
Brad, it sounds like iTunes is looking for those song names, but doesn't know where to find the actual files.

Do a Windows search for those songs. Look for *.mp3 or like David said, let Windows search for Music. When it locates the folder(s) with the songs you are looking for, go to iTunes, and open File / Add to Library.

A browser will appear. Go to the folder(s) that your songs are at and select the folder (not the files inside). All the songs there will now appear in your iTunes.
i'm going to give that a shot and see what i can find...maybe it renamed them or moved them somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajet69 View Post
For this very reason I save all my music on an external hard drive.

Brad, I have TONS of music if you want to dl some. Some are not the highest quality but they work OK for just jamming tunes in the truck.

Let me know and I'll shoot a list of bands/albums etc.. and you can just pick & choose. Also, I listen to just about every type of music so I'm guessing I'll have [at least] some of what you lost.

David
i appreciate the offer, and i might just hit you up on that sometime.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 09:09 AM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
If you downloaded from apple go to your download history and all those songs should be listed and you can redownload them from there. Happened to me once and apple advise me to do that 1st and if that doesn't work call tech line. It was easy and got all my songs back, and I hate iTunes.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Resident Epicurean

Bringing this TTT, what worked Brad?

I downloaded two albums to my phone. sync'd to laptop. Laptop crashed. Somewhere along the way, the new albums disappeared on my phone. The last time I sync'd, was to add the two albums to my laptop from my phone, hasn't been sync'd since.

Gone in download history. Gone from itunes on the phone, and laptop. I used a gift card to pay, but no longer have the GC, I don't think. Pretty sure I tossed it.

Am I just going to have to call Apple?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Bringing this TTT, what worked Brad?

I downloaded two albums to my phone. sync'd to laptop. Laptop crashed. Somewhere along the way, the new albums disappeared on my phone. The last time I sync'd, was to add the two albums to my laptop from my phone, hasn't been sync'd since.

Gone in download history. Gone from itunes on the phone, and laptop. I used a gift card to pay, but no longer have the GC, I don't think. Pretty sure I tossed it.

Am I just going to have to call Apple?
nothing worked. in fact, i went to the "help" button on itunes, which directed me to apple's site, and they have a basic answer (apparently this is a very common problem), which is...do a search for the music and if you can't find it, then you have to re-purchase it. they say that you're only allowed one download.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement