What goes in here for tethering an AT&T phone? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

What goes in here for tethering an AT&T phone?

I have been searching around, but all I seem to be able to come up with, is what looks like Cingular info. I need to know what to put in these boxes to be able to connect to the internet with my samsung solstice, with AT&T as the service provider.

Last edited by justinsn95; 03-25-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 12:59 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Yeah, it doesn't work that way... Can your phone even tether? If so, look up a how-to online.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Tried, that's why I'm here. I'm thinking maybe the solstice hasn't quite been long enough yet... or something.

As for that not being how you do it... that's how I've always made it work. I did it that way with my friend's sprint, and my old verizon. Perhaps you could be a little more specific?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 02:05 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
Tried, that's why I'm here. I'm thinking maybe the solstice hasn't quite been long enough yet... or something.

As for that not being how you do it... that's how I've always made it work. I did it that way with my friend's sprint, and my old verizon. Perhaps you could be a little more specific?
Everything I've used with att had the isp and isp password info stored into the phone, and I just had to set it to media net, open internet sharing, and connect the usb, then wait a few seconds for it to connect. Had to have active sync installed, too.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 08:51 AM
How you doin'

i have a laptop with xp and two with windows 7...i can't seem to get the tethering to work on windows 7 just yet, but it works great on my xp laptop. (i have an iphone, but i'm fairly certain that it will be the same for your phone, basically) on my xp machine, my iphone comes up as a network location that i connect to. it comes up on my start-up menu (next to the clock) and i just click to connect to it and i'm done. i always turn my wireless off by the switch on the side of my laptop, but i'm not sure if that's necessary or not.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Professional Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGGT40 View Post
i have a laptop with xp and two with windows 7...i can't seem to get the tethering to work on windows 7 just yet, but it works great on my xp laptop. (i have an iphone, but i'm fairly certain that it will be the same for your phone, basically) on my xp machine, my iphone comes up as a network location that i connect to. it comes up on my start-up menu (next to the clock) and i just click to connect to it and i'm done. i always turn my wireless off by the switch on the side of my laptop, but i'm not sure if that's necessary or not.
On the ones that won't tether, do you have itunes installed??

The only reason I ask is because I couldn't get my iphone tethering(or even charging) to work without having itunes installed. The computer wouldn't identify what device it was without it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GT50 View Post
Everything I've used with att had the isp and isp password info stored into the phone, and I just had to set it to media net, open internet sharing, and connect the usb, then wait a few seconds for it to connect. Had to have active sync installed, too.
As much as I hate to admit to not being able to find something through my own searching, do you happen to know where I can find a guide or walkthrough for the process you are talking about? Maybe I am using the wrong keywords or something, but all I can find plastered across google and youtube are "Tether your iphone and jailbreakzz!!! YAY!!!"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
As much as I hate to admit to not being able to find something through my own searching, do you happen to know where I can find a guide or walkthrough for the process you are talking about? Maybe I am using the wrong keywords or something, but all I can find plastered across google and youtube are "Tether your iphone and jailbreakzz!!! YAY!!!"
I use modmyi.com they are pretty up to date on everything. Just look in the forum section should be able to find something pretty quick. I always hated how unstable my phone was jailbroken then having to redo everything when new FW came out so i stopped.

Don't talk about it! Be about it!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Got it going with the "Connect To" under the start menu, after I learned ATT'c connection info. In the "dial up phone number" box, you put *99***1# and in the "Connection name" box you put "AT&T" (without the quotes of course). Then you just check the little box that says "Allow all users to use this connection" and hit "Connect" and thats it. It takes about 30 seconds to connect but then you are browsing. The funny thing is, according to speedtest the connection speed on my phone is twice what it is on my DSL landline.

However, in real life, the phone speed seems almost as fast as the DSL. But not quite. It's definitely far faster than any other "Dial up" connection that I have ever used. My speedtest for my DSL is 1.31mbps, and for the phone it's 2.86. Now, one thing you should know (in case anyone here might attempt this) is that I have a samsung solstice, and I was told that it is a little different and you might have to use other numbers than the *99***1# to connect, on other phones. That, and you have a 5Gb download limit before they ass rape you on your bill.

Also before you do the initial setup, you are going to need to install the "Samsung PC studio" program. It installs all the drivers that make windows see the phone as a modem it can use. And you will need to have the unlimited data plan (an extra $10 a month) to even be able to do this at all. Otherwise the network blocks you or something.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 08:52 AM
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
On the ones that won't tether, do you have itunes installed??

The only reason I ask is because I couldn't get my iphone tethering(or even charging) to work without having itunes installed. The computer wouldn't identify what device it was without it.
yes, itunes is installed, but i don't know the process that you go through to tether on windows 7. the apple driver has some sort of error as well. i'll try to fix it at some point, but i just haven't had the time to dive into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement