Bad idea? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Where is Ms. Right?

Bad idea?

One of our laptops has a virus on it and it won't boot up, not even in safe mode. I tried using an Avira bootable disk and a couple of others to no avail.

Before reformatting I was wondering if it would be a good idea to take the ahrd drive out and put it on my pc as an external drive and have my antivirus run from there on that disk drive.

Would you do that or is that too risky for my clean pc? Any other suggestions?

"Don't be with someone you can live with, be with someone you can't live without"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Do you have a case to do that with? Doubt the cable will fit into a laptop drive, but never tried it though.

The infection is most likely in the registry or startup or something so should be no problem. I would set it as the slave drive and pull the files that you need off (files you know are clean) and then wipe it.

Antivirus will most likely not be able to find any problems on a slave drive. Guess there might be a way to do it, try googling your issue...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

no need to replaced your hard drive, if your hard drive is still detected its mean your hard drive is good, the one problem of that is you are using a different cheapset, the cheapset of your laptop and your desktop are not the same. thats why the blue screen and error code affair. to solve that problem; if your laptop is virus infected and you want to connect to your desktop pc to scan viruses. you need to get the hard disk drive of your laptop and slave it to your desktop.. but a lot of things to do.. you need laptop to desktop ide connector so that you can slave your hdd laptop to desktop.. another option is, install new operating system.. or format your hard drive.. to surely clean you system..

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:27 PM
$uper $low

what about if he runs an expensiveset, would that work?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Lifer

Chipset doesn't matter. I have mine on one of those usb to sata adapter cables from Frys($14.99) I can get whatever I want off of it before I reformat as I have the same issue, and can't get any anti viruses to run for some reason on that drive.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
what about if he runs an expensiveset, would that work?
My thoughts exactly.

Definition of punkass:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychotexan
someone who is willing to ingauge in shit talking and when he takes it to far and the other party want to fight he'll go and i quote "im not comeing over and risking my life just to beat your ass".
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Where is Ms. Right?

I have an external enclosure for the laptop drive. I can just take the laptop drive out of my laptop, put it in there and connect it to my pc via a usb cable and try running a virus scan that way. I just don't want it to infect my pc while wiping it clean.

Do you think doing that might find the virus/malware?

"Don't be with someone you can live with, be with someone you can't live without"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Lifer

what about those of us that are stuck with moderatelypricedset?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

That was taken off of google if you guys didn't realize, but nice try! The general puncuation and everything was different, but props for catching the same thing everyone else did : )

Yes if you have an enclosure for it I think you should be ok if you plan to remove the files you need then wipe. As for virus scan I don't think it will find anything there.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memo View Post
I have an external enclosure for the laptop drive. I can just take the laptop drive out of my laptop, put it in there and connect it to my pc via a usb cable and try running a virus scan that way. I just don't want it to infect my pc while wiping it clean.

Do you think doing that might find the virus/malware?
You have a rootkit and it's possible to be cleaned. If you're gonna slave the drive, make sure autoruns are disable on the host machine before connecting it.

Browse through here or post for help.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Where is Ms. Right?

Verdict:

Here's what I did:

I took the hard drive out of my laptop and put it in an external enclosure and hooked it up to my desktop. From there I ran antivirus software and it found a bunch of crap. I deleted it all.

After that, I put it back in the laptop but it wouldn't load since I deleted a bunch of system files. I put it back in the desktop and took all the important stuff out and saved it to an external hard drive.

Then I reformatted the hard drive and put it back in the laptop and took advantage of the situation to install windows 7 which I had bought a while back.

Laptop is now running like a champ! Too bad I have do install the software all over again but let's hope it's all compatible with 64bit windows 7.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 03:27 PM
dead

formatting is the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement