RAID 0 or single Raptor? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

RAID 0 or single Raptor?

Which is better? Right now I have 2 160 gig Western Digital HD's, set in a RAID 0. I planning on swaping out the RAID 0 for a single 300 gig Velociraptor, and one of the 160 gig HD for some extra storage. I used this PC mostly for gaming, but lately have been using it for some CAD/CAM work, program generation, and other work related stuff that would be considerably more painful to lose than half a dozen video games. Would the Raptor be more reliable? How bout a speed comparison. Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Back To Normal

RAID 0 had no redundancy

1 VRaptor has no redundany

So, if any of your drives fail you lose everything, regardless. I would say that the VR might be a little faster. But its realitive. Your not gaining much besides a lighter wallet.

Texan By Birth, Techsan By Choice.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
You'll likely lose a lil on the speed but like you said about the potential data loss. Why not RAID 0+1? Get you 3 1TB drives. The WD Black is as fast if not faster than the VR w/ boatloads of storage. RAID 0+1 3 of those and you'll have the speed plus the redundancy for a safety net.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 09:32 PM
None

RAID 0 is a striped set, so if you lose a one of the disks you've lost the array. If you went RAID1, at least you are mirrored, but IMHO RAID is for high availability/redundancy, not backup.

If I was in your boat, I'd just go with a large single high speed drive and then run a scheduled backup of your data to another disk or external HD. )
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 10:14 PM
duh...duh....duh

I don't disagree with a single thing posted here.

Check out mozy for backups btw, dirt cheap and it works well so far for me. I backup all my machines to one local drive and then back that drive up to Mozy. ~500Gb

Single drive, RAID 0, RAID 1 - Don't look at them as backups/or saftey at all. I bought a RAID 5 NAS that crapped on me several times. I've had servers running RAID 5 that I still lost data and ..... had to restore from a -back-.

RAID 0 is nice to increase space and if there is a bunch of data be moved to/from the drive or whatever it can help there. In general though, I would not stress it. I'd do the single drive and use the 160Gb drives a single drives for other crap. Just backup and backup your backups. (i.e.) mozy.

In my home now for everything I backup PCs to my NAS (RAID0), which backsup to a PC, which that then does an Internet backup to Mozy. I've lost way too much data in the past to not do this.

My '03 Sold.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 12:44 PM
KJ94GT

I would never, ever, backup sensitive data online. Just sayin...

And I don't understand why some of you are saying RAID1 is not a good backup plan. You lose one drive, the other is fine. Replace the failed drive and all returns to normal. And if your raid controller dies, replace it and be back up and running as long as it's not some proprietary format like ASUS EZ-backup or something like that. Two mirrored drives sounds like great redundancy to me.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 01:23 PM
None

Data corruption happens. But now, it's mirrored data corruption.

if you delete a file and need to recover it - well, guess what - your mirrored drive just mirrored your delete.

If you are working along and a drive fails, great - you don't get a BSOD. You can safely shut down and get your ass to the store to replace the drive. That's the high-availablity that RAID1 gets you - nothing more.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

What brought this up is one of the drives in my array is acting funny. Sometimes it boots, sometimes not. Sometimes it shows a healthy array, sometimes not. I understand a single Raptor offers no more redundency than RAID 0 array. But I was wondering about the quality of the Raptor compared to the millions of WD blue series produced. Seems like the Raptor has higher level of quality. I was thinking about the Raptor for the primary drive, the good 160 gig I have for extra storage for pics and junk, and backing up the important stuff to the external HD. I ordered a 300 gig Raptor this morning, and I'll have it tomorrow. Fortunatly, since I use this PC for work, I was able to expense the Raptor. Thanks again fellas!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 01:45 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ94GT View Post
I would never, ever, backup sensitive data online. Just sayin...
I thought about arguing and asking why. However, the whole conversation played out in my head and I'll save us several posts. I'll just say I don't see a problem with it if done correctly/safely. I concur with not backing up online with just nothing securing the data.

Most of my data is not vital, personal or otherwise sensitive. The stuff that is has been secured a little.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 02:09 PM
KJ94GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Data corruption happens. But now, it's mirrored data corruption.

if you delete a file and need to recover it - well, guess what - your mirrored drive just mirrored your delete.

If you are working along and a drive fails, great - you don't get a BSOD. You can safely shut down and get your ass to the store to replace the drive. That's the high-availablity that RAID1 gets you - nothing more.
I see your point. That didn't ring my bell when I was typing my response.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 02:13 PM
KJ94GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
I thought about arguing and asking why. However, the whole conversation played out in my head and I'll save us several posts. I'll just say I don't see a problem with it if done correctly/safely. I concur with not backing up online with just nothing securing the data.

Most of my data is not vital, personal or otherwise sensitive. The stuff that is has been secured a little.

Take care,
I'll agree with you to a point. Info that's not sensitive or vital, go for it. Nothing wrong with some redundant backups. But with regard to anything personal, private or sensitive... it's just not wise. It's so easy for that data to fall into the wrong hands. Even with some security measures, skilled people can get the info. I prefer to have redundant backups locally for sensitive information
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 08:15 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ94GT View Post
I'll agree with you to a point. Info that's not sensitive or vital, go for it. Nothing wrong with some redundant backups. But with regard to anything personal, private or sensitive... it's just not wise. It's so easy for that data to fall into the wrong hands. Even with some security measures, skilled people can get the info. I prefer to have redundant backups locally for sensitive information
Na, I hear ya and fully understand. Just been plowed with HDD failures on RAID 5 NASs...etc. Yes, multiple drive failures in different devices in ONE FREAKING weekend. etc. Of course, now that I have backups to the backups, my drives purr.

I know it could be a little risky, just my risk analysis calls it okay.

My '03 Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement