Would you teach yourself or go to school? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Where is Ms. Right?

Would you teach yourself or go to school?

I've been trying to learn a lot about servers, websites and things of that sort. I've been doing a lot of research on my own and it's been working for me.

My question is, would you have done the same thing or just taken a website design class at a community college and such? Same with a server class....

Just curious as what you'd do....

Having said that, google is my best friend. hahaha....

"Don't be with someone you can live with, be with someone you can't live without"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Very Interesting

on hand experience is tops to all. But if you decide to take classes, find a good solid independent, that's not focused on getting you a certification, but more on hands on experience.

In fact, email this guy, and ask him if he has anything or any recommendations. Tell him Matt Harris from the October class, sent you. I used him for some cert refresh classes, he's a top guy, knows his shit in and out. But what I took was fast paced for IT professionals. I got 13 certs in 12 days, CCNA, MCSE 2003 Security, Security +, MCITP 2008: Enterprise Admin, and a few more mixed in. I think I was the most certs obtained in 12 days, he's ever seen.

Robert Vaughn - [email protected]

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Lifer

Damn! 13 certs in 12 days, wow.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzeran View Post
Damn! 13 certs in 12 days, wow.
yeah, but i've been doing this crap for 15 plus years, so it really was just study test material, and memorziation crap to get certified

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:13 AM
duh...duh....duh

I'm of the opinion that you should at least try to get hands-on first while studying/referencing material to self be self taught a little.

I usually like to follow up with a training course after I know the basics.

1. You won't fall behind in class.
2. You'll understand wtf is going on.
3. You can ask a million and one questions that are not dumb.
4. In general it'll stick a lot better and you'll learn theory behind it.

I recently did this with contact center scripting and it paid off dividends. In this case I could do basics, but after a little training it help tremendously.

Either way, IMHO don't EVER-EVER-EVER just go to a class w/o any exposure. Did that back in the 90s and as opposed to retaining 80-95% of what was taught I might've retained...20-30%.

Edit - TBM, I may have more or less echo'ed what you said. Did not read it before I posted.

My '03 Sold.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:15 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt View Post
yeah, but i've been doing this crap for 15 plus years, so it really was just study test material, and memorziation crap to get certified
Does MS have it where if you fail an exam you can't retake it until like 5-7 days later? I hate that crap. Cisco does and sometimes 5-7 days later puts ya right in the middle of project or something.

Only failed 2 Cisco exams...fairly lucky. Still don't like that rule.

My '03 Sold.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Where is Ms. Right?

Cool, I think I'll continue to read up and teach myself. I'm not really looking for any sort of certification anyway. I just want to learn for my own knowledge. Thanks guys!

"Don't be with someone you can live with, be with someone you can't live without"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
Does MS have it where if you fail an exam you can't retake it until like 5-7 days later? I hate that crap. Cisco does and sometimes 5-7 days later puts ya right in the middle of project or something.

Only failed 2 Cisco exams...fairly lucky. Still don't like that rule.
Microsoft is 24 hours for the first time, and 5 days if you fail the second.

I actually failed the CCNA the first time. I took it the day before our section on the CCNA actually started. I missed passing by 1 question, just studying the CBT's and knowing how to config, and verifying the labs. The instructor asked me to take it to make sure the labs were the same, as Cisco likes to change the test pretty often, and we were getting close to that time frame.

I also only failed one Microsoft exam, one of the 2003 AD exams. I missed it by one question, but I think it was my 8th test, and my brain was fried at that point. I took a two day testing rest, then came back and took 2 a day for the next two days to catch up.

I agree with you, hands on will make all the difference in the world, before you go to a class, if you can get the software, load it, demo it, play around, etc. You'll be much better off. And I'd stay away from the fast paced classes, or any self study types, where they just provide you with documentation. You really want to get a Lab based class, where you'll actually build, break, and fix what you're working on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement