Laptop Brands. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Laptop Brands.

I'll be in the market for a new laptop just right after the first of the year and I'm looking at keeping it right under $1000 for what I need. I've started looking at several different laptops from the bigger manufacturer's (HP, Sony, etc) but I've seen where some of the smaller manufactures seem to have more of a bang for your buck. Has anyone bought anything from ASUS, MSI, etc... and had them last?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Very Interesting

MSI uses pretty good hardware, and their service is an 8/10, where a Dell is a 9.5/10 if you ask me from the business support side.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Censored

Asus and MSI know that the laptop is where its at now, and they are big hardware names getting into the laptop market. If there laptops are anything like their motherboards, they will perform just fine.

Doors Done Rite

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Professional Driver

My ex-GF has a MSI Wind(netbook) and she loves it. Her Mom had a ASUS laptop and she didn't like it at all.

Personally I have a HP 18" and a Acer netbook and love them both.

Before I bought the HP, I looked at some of the deals out there and didn't see anything better than the HP(after the coupon code).

Check www.xpbargains.com for coupons
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Asus makes a kickass computer, albeit an ugly one.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 03:38 PM
None

Stay the fuck away from Sony. I had so much of a problem dealing with Sony on a warranty support side I just went ahead and bought my own replacement hard drive and wrote them off for good. (5-7 days of them dicking me around, hangups, transfers into dead air, voicemail, etc)

Dell hasn't been any problem for me, but I deal with them on a corporate level and don't have to go through any hoops. Typically an online chat to replace hardware takes me about 10-15 minutes.

Lenovo (IBM) makes crap - I've got one brand new ultralight laptop that was deleivered and installed last monday. I've already had to replace the screen (dead pixels), speaker (blown) and the wireless modem. If you gave me one for free I'd use it as a wheel chock.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Stay the fuck away from Sony. I had so much of a problem dealing with Sony on a warranty support side I just went ahead and bought my own replacement hard drive and wrote them off for good. (5-7 days of them dicking me around, hangups, transfers into dead air, voicemail, etc)

Dell hasn't been any problem for me, but I deal with them on a corporate level and don't have to go through any hoops. Typically an online chat to replace hardware takes me about 10-15 minutes.

Lenovo (IBM) makes crap - I've got one brand new ultralight laptop that was deleivered and installed last monday. I've already had to replace the screen (dead pixels), speaker (blown) and the wireless modem. If you gave me one for free I'd use it as a wheel chock.
Sony still sucks? I remember a few of my friends got some Sony Vaio Desktops, and they fell apart in a year.

Doors Done Rite
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Lifer

Toshiba is a good brand as well.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Lifer

I'm pretty satisfied with HP Customer service, my wifes shit quit on her(wouldn't boot) hd took a crap within 2 weeks of going out of warranty. They had a shipping box here in 24 hrs and fixed it free of charge.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:13 PM
duh...duh....duh

When I had to buy my own laptops I would buy prostar and sagernotebooks. At least back then the cases and everything were the same when compared to alienware. Only a 1/4 of the price. Great customer service and very decent hardware.

IMHO, just read up on them and don't be skeered of an off name machine. Be wary, but if it checks out - do it.

My '03 Sold.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Founding Member

I just got a Dell 1440 and the mouse acts funny sometimes.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Where is Ms. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post

I think this an isolated scenario. I have a Lenovo T60 and I love it. It's dual core and it's very durable. It's not eye candy but you can literally drop it or step on it and it won't break. It's made very sturdy and it has little things for liquid to flow through in case you accidentally spill coffee or whatever on it. That way you won't mess it up.

The only thing is I wish I had ordered it with a dvd burner and not just a dvd rom.

"Don't be with someone you can live with, be with someone you can't live without"
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 09:40 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memo View Post
I think this an isolated scenario. I have a Lenovo T60 and I love it. It's dual core and it's very durable. It's not eye candy but you can literally drop it or step on it and it won't break. It's made very sturdy and it has little things for liquid to flow through in case you accidentally spill coffee or whatever on it. That way you won't mess it up.

The only thing is I wish I had ordered it with a dvd burner and not just a dvd rom.
I concur, I have a T60 now for over 2 years. Other then some minor HW glitches that are likely due to all the SW I have to install - no real issues. Heavy travel and use. Used at least 8 hours a day, every day. 'cept maybe some breaks on the weekends.

Company wide we use these and Macs and we're all Engineers that do implementations, designs...sales...etc. Heavy use.

Still has the 4200 or 5400 rpm drives though, which hurts overall performance.

My '03 Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement