Tethering... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Question Tethering...

So I just moved to a rural location that doesn't have any Inet support. I've tried everything from WiFi providers to the local telephone companies. Looks like my only option is Satellite. From what I've read the ping times are too much for playing online games using Satellite. Below is my tethered BB connection using the trial tetherberry app. My cell provider does offer a tether connection through them for $15 a month. Does anyone know if going through their provider with their 'tether' plan speed it up? My phone is a BB 8330 which doesn't have the fastest BB processor. Would upgrading the phone to a faster BB or a different phone help? I just hate to pay the high price and 2 year contract with Satellite and still not be able to play online games. If I'm in that boat then tethering would not be so bad to get rid of another bill just to have web access as long as it is faster in dl/up and ping.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Banned

Location: If I listened to you, i would have a mustang just like yours!
go read up at http://www.evdoforums.com/ and look into their products at http://3gstore.com/

I run a verizon 3g/evdo modem with an external antenna, im about 12 miles from the tower but with the antenna i still get 80db signal strength.

peak times suck sometimes, and shooter video games suck, but its nice for a primary internet compared to hughesnet. Do some research and you will find that hughesnet has next to 0 satisfied customers.

also whatever you end up getting, try to get an unlimited data plan with it so you do not get charged excessive overages. most cell companies charge a crap-ton for overages.

This is right now, peak time.

the best i have seen is 2.5mbps up and .3mbps down
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 04:04 AM
Banned

Location: If I listened to you, i would have a mustang just like yours!
off peak time

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 10:55 AM
duh...duh....duh

I can't necessarily answer your questions, I will say that satellite will be waaaay better then the 1.2 second rtt response time you posted. Although "off peak" seems good with what aceman posted...

I never had good luck playing games via a tethered BB/cellular card. Personally, I'd just go with a satellite connection for TV/Inet and call it the day until something better comes along.

My '03 Sold.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 10:58 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

you can not game on satellite, trust me. Tethering isn't a bad idea, but really it isn't going to be that good for gaming either. Where exactly do you live... are you sure you don't have broadband?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Rolling the one fiddy.

You can game on satellite, the latency is gonna suck though. lol
I played WoW from my cousins house and the latency was retarded, but you could still play.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:23 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
you can not game on satellite, trust me. Tethering isn't a bad idea, but really it isn't going to be that good for gaming either. Where exactly do you live... are you sure you don't have broadband?
I've gamed on satellite. Although it was basic counter strike and some other crap. One could play WoW on it, if not raiding...etc..etc

It'll beat tethering from a reliability and consistency point of view all day long.

My '03 Sold.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman85turbo View Post
go read up at http://www.evdoforums.com/ and look into their products at http://3gstore.com/

I run a verizon 3g/evdo modem with an external antenna, im about 12 miles from the tower but with the antenna i still get 80db signal strength.

peak times suck sometimes, and shooter video games suck, but its nice for a primary internet compared to hughesnet. Do some research and you will find that hughesnet has next to 0 satisfied customers.

also whatever you end up getting, try to get an unlimited data plan with it so you do not get charged excessive overages. most cell companies charge a crap-ton for overages.

This is right now, peak time.

the best i have seen is 2.5mbps up and .3mbps down
Thanks for the info. Looking at the sites. Man this reminds me of back when my 9600 baud modem was king.

Looking at my provider my BB is on a CDMA2000 network. I'm guessing that isnt 3G right? Hopefully their 3G modem with an external antenna will be better. Might have to drop carriers. I'm using USCellular and not to happy with their phone/texting service. Their tethering may be worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
Yeah I figured my gaming is over for now until I can find either a WiFi provider or broadband comes down my road. Just figured I would use tethering for web access/email only. Trust me I've called everyone around me that I can think of. I'm having worse withdraws than Tyrone Biggums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement