External HD's? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

External HD's?

I'm having to replace my external HD because it's taken a shit on me for the 3rd time in the last 2 years and each time I've lost data. This time I lost everything, 3 years worth of photography & design work as well as some other data I had on the drive. So with that being said I've sorta lost faith in Seagate and I'm looking for an alternative... what are you guys using for an external drive?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Lifer

Ah shit ive got several seagates. How about atleast backing it up once in a while. Only HD ive had fail was a WD.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 01:02 PM
dead

i have an internal western digi 1 tb and i back up my stuff to a 1 tb western digi in an external enclosure.

external drives seem flakey imo. make sure they get good ventilation and dont leave them plugged in all the time.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Ah shit ive got several seagates. How about atleast backing it up once in a while. Only HD ive had fail was a WD.
That's another problem I have to address in it's own, I back mine up to a DVD but for some reason the dvd's that I used show they've been burned yet nothing is showing up on them.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Lifer

You should have quit using it the first time it crapped out.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up View Post
You should have quit using it the first time it crapped out.
There was no reason to stop using it, ran a disk check and diagnostic on it and it came back just fine; the first and the second time.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Lifer

Maybe the drive is still good. Have you taken it out of the enclosure and connected up inside the pc or to a usb adapter? Sometimes, thoe controllers on the ext drives die.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Lifer

I have all WD drives, and have never had an issue.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Crackalack!

I just bought a 1.5T Western Digital MyBook external today at lunch. Hopefully it holds up. My last one was an internal that I bought a case for. It acts like it's trying to spin up, but can't get over the hump to start spinning.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Very Interesting

Buy a nice RAID'd NAS device. I think you can get a few TB for a few hundred bucks. That way if one drive fails, you can swap it out, and rebuild the RAID.

I have a netgear ReadyNAS that works pretty good, haven't had any issues with it in 2-3 years.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 02:10 PM
dead

Quote:
Maybe the drive is still good. Have you taken it out of the enclosure and connected up inside the pc or to a usb adapter? Sometimes, thoe controllers on the ext drives die.
very true.

remove it from its case and connect it directly. dont format it.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
The guy from tech support that I talked to said the USB controller is the most common part that goes out on these drives. It's currently under limited warranty and they'll refurb it if I opt to send it to them, so I may just do that to get it replaced for now, I'm just not going to rely on it as my back up any longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt View Post
Buy a nice RAID'd NAS device. I think you can get a few TB for a few hundred bucks. That way if one drive fails, you can swap it out, and rebuild the RAID.

I have a netgear ReadyNAS that works pretty good, haven't had any issues with it in 2-3 years.
Is RAID difficult to set up or understand? In the past when I've heard about people talking about them it seems like if you don't know what you're doing you can really screw something up.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Very Interesting

The Netgear NAS devices, as well as almost all stand alone, come pre configured with RAID.

If a drive fails, you go into the console, set it to be removed, replace the drive, then set it to rebuild. Very easy.

RAID is only difficult, and a PITA when you talk about Software vs hardware raid, and improper setup from the get go. With these devices it's very straight forward.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Very Interesting

also, if it's just the USB controller, for like 15-20 bucks you can buy a new enclosure, and put this hard drive in the enclosure

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Lifer

I have great luck with the Seagate 250 GB external USB. Had it for a long time and it is used for daily backups. I keep it in a cool and well ventilated room and it's very reliable. My parents have the same unit and it works day in and day out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Get two HD's. It's more expensive, but backing up that much information to DVD's is a pain in the ass and there's no reason to not have it backed up. I leave one plugged in all of the time to work off of and then I've got a second drive that I back up onto once a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
And the only HD I've had fail was a Seagate. That discussion can go on all day.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Time Served

I bought one of the empty 4 bay hot swap enclosures from Cyberguys and filled it with 4 - 1 Tb drives in RAID 5. The enclosure was $100 on sale. The drives came from Frys ($69 on sale). I was running an old version of ArcServe (11.5) to write backups, but I found a freebie app called Fbackup that I'm using now, backing up the mp3 server and the movie server. Differentials every night and fulls on the weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement