Iphone Trouble - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Irving
Posts: 23,270
Iphone Trouble

I've been having problems with my phone dropping calls, and just generally having bad reception. The bars will be full, but my calls cut in and out quite a bit. I use this phone for business, so it's a pain to have to tell someone I'll call back when I get to a land line. A few of the people I work with have had the same problem. They said if I just take it to the Apple store, and tell them what's going on, the Apple store will swap it out on the spot. I do have the Apple Care, but it still should be under the original warranty as well.


Here is where things get difficult. Sunday night, it fell out of my lap. Of course, with my luck, the screen spider webbed. Apple wants $199 to fix it. I can find the glass and digitizer online, and get the parts for $20, or take it to a local repair place to do it for me, for $100ish depending on where I go. Everywhere I've read on line, states this will void the warranty.


Do you think the Apple store people are going to open it up, or will they really dig in to it enough to know if the screen has been replaced? The guys I work with said it's a somewhat common problem, and just took their old phone and handed them a new one. For what it's worth, the dropped call issue was happening long before the fall. I had Monday morning free, to go to the Apple store and have it taken care of. Then this happened.

Am I just screwed?
bcoop is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 09:38 AM
How you doin'
 
STANGGT40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: 8 Rib > 6 Rib
Posts: 28,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
I've been having problems with my phone dropping calls, and just generally having bad reception. The bars will be full, but my calls cut in and out quite a bit. I use this phone for business, so it's a pain to have to tell someone I'll call back when I get to a land line. A few of the people I work with have had the same problem. They said if I just take it to the Apple store, and tell them what's going on, the Apple store will swap it out on the spot. I do have the Apple Care, but it still should be under the original warranty as well.


Here is where things get difficult. Sunday night, it fell out of my lap. Of course, with my luck, the screen spider webbed. Apple wants $199 to fix it. I can find the glass and digitizer online, and get the parts for $20, or take it to a local repair place to do it for me, for $100ish depending on where I go. Everywhere I've read on line, states this will void the warranty.


Do you think the Apple store people are going to open it up, or will they really dig in to it enough to know if the screen has been replaced? The guys I work with said it's a somewhat common problem, and just took their old phone and handed them a new one. For what it's worth, the dropped call issue was happening long before the fall. I had Monday morning free, to go to the Apple store and have it taken care of. Then this happened.

Am I just screwed?

i don't know about the cracked screen issue, but i wouldn't think that they would open the phone...i don't know if they have a way to tell if the phone has been opened, though.

as far as the dropped calls go; i've heard that this was an issue that they had with the 3.1 firmware and the new 3.1.2 firmware supposedly fixed it, but i don't know for sure...i'm still running 3.0.1. i drop calls from time to time, but it always seems to be in the same area, and it's not very often. if you're dropping calls constantly, there must be an issue...hardware or software. have you upgraded to the 3.1.2 firmware yet?
STANGGT40 is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
I did that to mine (dropped it). Just better to get a new one. the 100 doesn't help the stuff that you don't see.

My touch screen was really bad. If I pressed 6 it would do 5 or 9.
RuNBabYRUn is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Irving
Posts: 23,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuNBabYRUn View Post
I did that to mine (dropped it). Just better to get a new one. the 100 doesn't help the stuff that you don't see.

My touch screen was really bad. If I pressed 6 it would do 5 or 9.
lmao.


Yeah... I'm going to go spend $500 on a new iphone, when I can replace the screen for $100, and possibly exchange it for a new one. You're a smart cookie, aren't you?
bcoop is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.
 
Slowhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room
Posts: 12,279
Replace the screen and take it in, you shouldn't have any issues. I've done it with mine without a problem.

Slowhand is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Irving
Posts: 23,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
Replace the screen and take it in, you shouldn't have any issues. I've done it with mine without a problem.
That's all I was needing to know. Thanks man!



Brad, I'm not sure what version firmware it's on. I need to double check, but I think I'm just on 3.1
bcoop is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Very Interesting
 
The Big Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Around the World
Posts: 9,856
just don't try changing the screen yourself. I have a white 16gb that i took apart wrong

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
The Big Matt is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Irving
Posts: 23,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt View Post
just don't try changing the screen yourself. I have a white 16gb that i took apart wrong
hahaha


I'm going to some place off of 75. He charges $69 to replace the glass and digitizer. Then I'm going straight to the Apple store, and then back to AT&T to get myself a new 3Gs 32 gig. This current one is going to Haley.
bcoop is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
lmao.


Yeah... I'm going to go spend $500 on a new iphone, when I can replace the screen for $100, and possibly exchange it for a new one. You're a smart cookie, aren't you?
I rather go out and buy a new one. Then of course getting the screen replace and not working(fought because they wouldn't replace it), and I paid 200 for my new iphone.

If your so smart wtf are you asking people for?
RuNBabYRUn is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Very Interesting
 
The Big Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Around the World
Posts: 9,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
hahaha


I'm going to some place off of 75. He charges $69 to replace the glass and digitizer. Then I'm going straight to the Apple store, and then back to AT&T to get myself a new 3Gs 32 gig. This current one is going to Haley.
sweet, i'm waiting on an account change to be made, so i can port my number over to another account, then i'll get the 16gb 3gs. I never should have ported my personal number, had it 15 years, to work.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
The Big Matt is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Irving
Posts: 23,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuNBabYRUn View Post
I rather go out and buy a new one. Then of course getting the screen replace and not working(fought because they wouldn't replace it), and I paid 200 for my new iphone.

If your so smart wtf are you asking people for?
Apparently you lack reading comprehension skills. Feel free to run along now. Your response did nothing to answer my question.
bcoop is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Apparently you lack reading comprehension skills. Feel free to run along now. Your response did nothing to answer my question.
Me lacking? Hope you spend more getting the pos fixed, then actually going out and getting a new one.

Yes my car is cute!
RuNBabYRUn is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Irving
Posts: 23,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuNBabYRUn View Post
Me lacking? Hope you spend more getting the pos fixed, then actually going out and getting a new one.
And I hope you get herpes. Your point?
bcoop is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 09:27 AM
How you doin'
 
STANGGT40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: 8 Rib > 6 Rib
Posts: 28,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
That's all I was needing to know. Thanks man!



Brad, I'm not sure what version firmware it's on. I need to double check, but I think I'm just on 3.1
if that is the case, then upgrade the firmware to 3.1.2 and that should fix it...that's likely what they'll do as well. from what i understand, the problem started to happen on the 3.1 firmware, so they "fixed" it on the 3.1.2 (along with a couple of other small issues like freezing, etc.)
STANGGT40 is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Irving
Posts: 23,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGGT40 View Post
if that is the case, then upgrade the firmware to 3.1.2 and that should fix it...that's likely what they'll do as well. from what i understand, the problem started to happen on the 3.1 firmware, so they "fixed" it on the 3.1.2 (along with a couple of other small issues like freezing, etc.)



I love our CFO. I showed her my phone yesterday,(it's only a month and a half old or so), and she said to go get a new one and expense it. So I'm going to pick up the the 3gs, and have this one fixed and give it to my wife. That was the plan all along, but now the 3Gs will be on their tab. Woot!


I guess I better start using the Otter Box I bought, before I fuck up the new one.
bcoop is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Posts: 153
I love the otter box best thing to buy and make sure you buy the antiglare screen protector to make the bubbles go away from the otter box screen
jeremycg777 is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Irving
Posts: 23,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycg777 View Post
I love the otter box best thing to buy and make sure you buy the antiglare screen protector to make the bubbles go away from the otter box screen
Bad part is, I have an otter box. It wasn't on the phone when I broke it, however.
bcoop is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 05:44 PM
How you doin'
 
STANGGT40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: 8 Rib > 6 Rib
Posts: 28,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Bad part is, I have an otter box. It wasn't on the phone when I broke it, however.
i had the otter box "defender" case and i couldn't stand it...it's too bulky. i use a rubber case with a screen protector now. my wife has a "speck" case that has a rubber inner coating and a hard plastic shell...that thing is actually pretty nice. it's really rugged, but it isn't bulky. when i bought her phone, the sales guy at the cingular store had one and tossed his phone against the wall a couple of times to show how well it worked. it didn't hurt his phone, but i wouldn't suggest doing that! lol
STANGGT40 is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 08:44 AM
老师
 
Neiladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: OKC
Posts: 12,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGGT40 View Post
i had the otter box "defender" case and i couldn't stand it...it's too bulky. i use a rubber case with a screen protector now. my wife has a "speck" case that has a rubber inner coating and a hard plastic shell...that thing is actually pretty nice. it's really rugged, but it isn't bulky. when i bought her phone, the sales guy at the cingular store had one and tossed his phone against the wall a couple of times to show how well it worked. it didn't hurt his phone, but i wouldn't suggest doing that! lol
That might not hurt the outside, but eventually he's gonna jar something loose inside.
Neiladin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome