Computer surround sound systems? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Computer surround sound systems?

What are you guys using for surround sound on your desktop systems? I had a really nice set of Boston Acoustics that game with my Gateway that I had years ago but it took a dump on me and broke. Now I'm looking at a new set of surround sound speakers and I really have no clue what's worth the money. I've taken a look at a few of the most expensive logitech systems and they seem to get great reviews, but I'm not sure how much they invest into sound quality and so on.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Banned

I have the Logitech X-540 (5.1) and for the money, it's great.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Logitech

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by helosailor View Post
I have the Logitech X-540 (5.1) and for the money, it's great.
Out of all of the Logitech options it seems like these are the most popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x View Post
Logitech
What set do you have?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:01 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

I've used both Klipsch and Logitech. Right now I'm using the Logitech G51 setup that I won at quakecon simply because it's smaller, and easier to set up. However, I don't think I have to tell anyone how good Klipsch is, I would recommend their pro media series.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
I've used both Klipsch and Logitech. Right now I'm using the Logitech G51 setup that I won at quakecon simply because it's smaller, and easier to set up. However, I don't think I have to tell anyone how good Klipsch is, I would recommend their pro media series.
Just from the Logitech line do you happen to know if the G51 is better then the X540 setup?

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:18 PM
'tis the season

a Creative Audigy 5.1 that I've had for a few years now. I don't even think they make the model any more. But, going on 4yrs and it still sounds pretty damn good.

2002 Corvette --Sold
2009 Mazda CX7 GT--Turbo baby hauler
1976 #s matching Formula--Weekend fun
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:25 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
Just from the Logitech line do you happen to know if the G51 is better then the X540 setup?
It is a higher model than the X540. I've owned an X540 as well, it's good because it's small and doesn't take up a lot of room, but the speakers do not have much range. The sub on both the X540, and the G51 are not very stunning, it's enough to produce minimally required low notes, but it's nothing like the Klipsch sub, which will rattle glasses in the kitchen. But to be honest, it seems most subs for computers are pretty weak, so I can't say how well the subs on the X540 and G51 compare to other systems in the same price range.

I would highly recommend spending the money on this system:

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...less-overview/

The 2.1 Klipsch Pro Media series - it's their cheapest entry level system, and it will destroy any system made by logitech or any other manufacturer. It's probably the best sound system for a computer you can buy. Even though it's just a 2.1, the sound quality will speak for itself.

Last edited by CJ; 11-12-2009 at 06:31 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
It is a higher model than the X540. I've owned an X540 as well, it's good because it's small and doesn't take up a lot of room, but the speakers do not have much range. The sub on both the X540, and the G51 are not very stunning, it's enough to produce minimally required low notes, but it's nothing like the Klipsch sub, which will rattle glasses in the kitchen. But to be honest, it seems most subs for computers are pretty weak, so I can't say how well the subs on the X540 and G51 compare to other systems in the same price range.
Yeah I understand what you're saying. It will probably be hard for me to go to anything that's not equivilent to what I had before. I don't know how many watts my Boston Acoustic system was but I know the sub was a 12inch sub. The sub put out some pretty good bass and the speakers put out some pretty good sound for a computer system.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:36 PM
CJ

Quote:
Yeah I understand what you're saying. It will probably be hard for me to go to anything that's not equivilent to what I had before. I don't know how many watts my Boston Acoustic system was but I know the sub was a 12inch sub. The sub put out some pretty good bass and the speakers put out some pretty good sound for a computer system.
I actually rewired my promedia klipsch sub and I use it as my home theater sub now. If that gives you any idea at the power it has, haha. Klipsch is all about accuracy, and quality of sound - if that's what you're interested in, look at their products. Looks like they no longer make the 5.1 system, probably because it was just too much money for most gamers.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
I would highly recommend spending the money on this system:

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...less-overview/

The 2.1 Klipsch Pro Media series - it's their cheapest entry level system, and it will destroy any system made by logitech or any other manufacturer. It's probably the best sound system for a computer you can buy. Even though it's just a 2.1, the sound quality will speak for itself.

I was taking a look at that and the price is very reasonable, plus the wireless factor is pretty cool.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
I actually rewired my promedia klipsch sub and I use it as my home theater sub now. If that gives you any idea at the power it has, haha. Klipsch is all about accuracy, and quality of sound - if that's what you're interested in, look at their products. Looks like they no longer make the 5.1 system, probably because it was just too much money for most gamers.
It's the sound quality that I'm most interested in. Did they previously make a 5.1 system?

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:39 PM
CJ

Quote:
I was taking a look at that and the price is very reasonable, plus the wireless factor is pretty cool.
Might want to consider picking up a used set on amazon, it's half the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMed...8072867&sr=8-1

And here is the wired version which is THX certified:

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMed...8072867&sr=8-3
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:40 PM
CJ

Quote:
It's the sound quality that I'm most interested in. Did they previously make a 5.1 system?
Yes they did, I purchased the 5.1 system in 2001. I don't see it available any more. It was a traditional configuration - speaker wires on all ends with spring loaded clasps. A hell of a lot of wires, but the quality was great.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...-5-1-overview/
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Might want to consider picking up a used set on amazon, it's half the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMed...8072867&sr=8-1

And here is the wired version which is THX certified:

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMed...8072867&sr=8-3
Just curious, why would the wired setup be THX certified and the wireless not be? Do you lose that much sound quality going wireless?

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:45 PM
CJ

Quote:
Just curious, why would the wired setup be THX certified and the wireless not be? Do you lose that much sound quality going wireless?
It's hard to say, I would think it may either be do to fine accuracy, or possibly that Klipsch didn't seek to have it certified.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:47 PM
CJ

Also, the Z-5500 logitech system is also THX certified - I have been in front of one for a while, and I remember not being very impressed with it, but people swear by it, and it has good reviews and a lot of different inputs.

Klipsch has many products available, might want to search newegg.com for what they offer.

I bought the Klipsch system almost 10 years ago, and since I've never found a set of speakers that compared.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:55 PM
600 plus a few

logitech z-5300

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement