MW2: First Impressions - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

MW2: First Impressions

Well I picked up MW 2 yesterday morning and played for about 4 hours yesterday, made it to level 20-ish. I'm impressed with the quality of the levels, variety of weapons, fluid gameplay, but thats where it ends. Honestly I'm about to go back to COD4.

Why? Well lack of dedicated servers is a big one. You will find it difficult to play out of peak US time (7pm-1am CST) due to the fact that most of the players are far from us and the pings will skyrocket for you. If you have less than 3 bars, just leave the server. Then you will have to go through the server joining process again, but you cant find out what your ping is until the game actually begins. At which point if you leave due to latency issues, you will get a loss counted towards your record. Yay...

Another problem is callofdutyhacks.com. There are already numerous hacks out for MW2 and VAC does not catch it. But I guess you could wait for an admin to ban them. Oh wait, there are no admins because they are all pub servers. I guess we could votekick them, oh nevermind there is no votekick... guess that means we just leave the server and get ANOTHER loss on the record. Sounds like lose lose. Oh and add that to the fact that I beat the singleplayer in a few hours on Veteran. That is, when my nvidia drivers weren't taking a shit running ONE 8800GT, since this game does not support SLi.

It does have a good feature built in to keep up with friends on Steam called "Party". You can invite your friends to your party so others follow you to each server and stay on your team when able. Only downside? It doesn't work.

Final word: If you pre-ordered it through Steam, I'd hold off. That is, unless you wanna pay $60 for a game that has a few hours worth of singleplayer, and a multiplayer which averages pings that I haven't seen since I first got my shitty DSL almost a decade ago

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Lifer

glad i didnt get it, i really hope they allow dedicated servers, if not there will be no real following in the pc world

95' Red Mustang GT.

Slow.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Banned

I didnt know that people still played games available on consoles on the computer

And I agree that the single player sucks. I mean seriously, a fucking space station... and an invasion on the US by fucking Russia? That is some bullshit right there. As soon as the ruskies even thought about any kind of invasion, we would know about that shit before they could mobilize a god damn jeep. Not to mention that I was dissapointed in the lack of drunken rednecks squabbling about and shooting at the invaders. I mean it was in fucking Virginia, and your going to tell me that all the civilians just fled? I would have liked to see some bubbas around that burger restaurant shooting and yelling "wolverines".

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 12:49 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

meh, halfway through it now.. and the single player feels exactly like COD4 but not as good. Playing it on the highest difficulty and the AI is just frustrating, they know your location before you're even visible, a little ridiculous.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Time Served

i havent even played single player yet but i love multiplayer
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:36 AM
Ide fuck her in the ass..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedFC View Post
i havent even played single player yet but i love multiplayer
what he said...

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Token Troll

I enjoyed it. Thought it was pretty much CoD4:MW. And it ran fine on my 8800GT with max res and all the bells and whistles on.

Only played 10 minutes of multiplayer, as it was pretty late when I finally finished the campaign. Got me a Harrier, but couldn't figure out how to call it in and control it.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Lifer

I finished the single player in one sitting...too short if you ask me. I also hate it when the enemies know where you are before you are even visible as well...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Lifer

multiplayer rocks on console! I have been playing on the 360 for a couple days and havent had a single issue finding a game or getting booted. Sucks to hear the PC version's problems though.

As far as the space station, what space station? There is one part where an astronaut sees a missle en route and thats it.

Im kinda pissed about the sniper rifles though. MW1, you had to work your way up to a barret, now they give it to you right off the bat and you get all giddy thinking your gonna start ripping up some people and the gun is crap! I shot a guy last night at least 3 times in the torso and nothing. The cheytac isnt much better either. HUGE letdown
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Lifer

Yeah...it could have been so much better. But when I shot those troops with the Barrett they blew into pieces...in infrared.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:29 AM
None

What's with the cash flying around when being shot? Do soldiers go into battle carrying a pimp roll?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
What's with the cash flying around when being shot? Do soldiers go into battle carrying a pimp roll?
LOL! I noticed that too! WTH?

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:36 AM
None

Maybe I should search first and ask later - 15 secs on google says that it's part of the Payback bonus.

If you kill someone that had just killed you, they'll have a spray of cash. Same thing in reverse, if someone you popped returns the favor, the cash graphic occurs.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
Yeah...it could have been so much better. But when I shot those troops with the Barrett they blew into pieces...in infrared.
On the single player campaign? Yeah that was good but the barret in multiplayer SUCKS.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Taliban can SUCK IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Maybe I should search first and ask later - 15 secs on google says that it's part of the Payback bonus.

If you kill someone that had just killed you, they'll have a spray of cash. Same thing in reverse, if someone you popped returns the favor, the cash graphic occurs.
that explains why I was getting it constantly last night playing 1 on 1 against a friend

have any of you done the Spec Ops yet? I found it entertaining. Its better co op than single player as you lose some of the missions. For example, there is a mission where 1 player is on the ground trying to get to an specific part of the map while the other covers them with the ac-130.

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Licking the windows!

Knife to the eye MF'er.....that is all.

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Lifer

That was silly...Soap pulls the knife out of his chest and throws it into the eye of the general...which wouldnt kill him.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 12:45 PM
None

He was just tired and laid down.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesmoke View Post
that explains why I was getting it constantly last night playing 1 on 1 against a friend

have any of you done the Spec Ops yet? I found it entertaining. Its better co op than single player as you lose some of the missions. For example, there is a mission where 1 player is on the ground trying to get to an specific part of the map while the other covers them with the ac-130.
Ya...I need to buddy up with some people so I can play those Co-Op missions!

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
That was silly...Soap pulls the knife out of his chest and throws it into the eye of the general...which wouldnt kill him.
well you obviously don't know how hard soap throws!!

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Banned

I still haven't played it, and we've had it for 2 days. My roommate and his son (over for the weekend) have been playing and I refuse to play online until I complete the campaign, which I haven't started. Definitely looking forward to it, but just from a bystanders perspective on multiplayer...not sure how much I'll enjoy it. I need to buy it on 360 along with a good TV for my bedroom so I can play it while he's playing it on PS3.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 12:02 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Glad for honest reviews here. Think I will wait for the game and get LFD2 instead for now.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j View Post
well you obviously don't know how hard soap throws!!
LOL...looked like a little flick of the wrist to me! Heck, he was so weak he couldnt pull the damn knife out of his chest!
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Banned

Anyone else notice how it was an army general inexplicably commanding a giant marine force?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement