Will it fly? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Will it fly?

I am going to build a new rip machine/media storage.

I plan on installing a 32gb solid state drive for the o.s. only
2 1tb sata drives for storage
4 gb of ddr3 ram
AMD 3 quad core processor

The only purpose of this machine will be for media storage, the occasional web browsing, and the ever less occasional photo-shop.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 07:16 AM
Lifer

I would try and get a bigger solid state 64gig at least.

"His tricked out trans am guzzles every dime he brings home"

2004 RC SWB F150 5.4 - Saleen S/C'd 5.4 3V
1979 Pace Car - Not the usual mods
1984 Gt-350 - Trickflow'd 302
1992 Coupe - Vortech'd 393
1997 Viper GTS - H/C and Giggles

Buy my F-150 Vortech Setup! - Link
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD View Post
I would try and get a bigger solid state 64gig at least.
even if it is only to run the o.s.?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Lifer

32gig should be plenty big for just the OS and a few other hard drive intensive programs.

Only thing is, and I have no expirience with SSD's, but I didnt think you could run a SSD and disk hard drives together or am I imagining things?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
32gig should be plenty big for just the OS and a few other hard drive intensive programs.

Only thing is, and I have no expirience with SSD's, but I didnt think you could run a SSD and disk hard drives together or am I imagining things?
i haven't heard that???
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Lifer

Maybe Im thinking SATA and IDE drives. I know you cant mix them but I thought I heard the same with SSD and disk based drives.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Maybe Im thinking SATA and IDE drives. I know you cant mix them but I thought I heard the same with SSD and disk based drives.
can't mix as in use ide and sata in raid?

you can have both ide and sata drives on most motherboards. hell the computer i am on now has 2 sata drives and 3 ide drives.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Lifer

Really? I know for a fact when Sata came out you couldnt mix the two. I tried on my old desktop so I could transfer all the crap on my IDE to my SATA and it wouldnt and same for a co-worker. He returned 3 Sata drives before he finally called tech support and figured out he couldnt mix the two.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Really? I know for a fact when Sata came out you couldnt mix the two. I tried on my old desktop so I could transfer all the crap on my IDE to my SATA and it wouldnt and same for a co-worker. He returned 3 Sata drives before he finally called tech support and figured out he couldnt mix the two.
crazy i just transferred data this weekend from the ide to sata
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Lifer

Yeah I googled it and it is completely possible. Im guessing back then it was a motherboard limitation. No telling. But I also googled mixing SSD's and HHD's and it looks like that is possible as well so Im talking out of my ass

Yeah your setup looks like the way to go and I may be building a new media center after the first of the year and I may go that route as well. SSD's are crazy expensive so mixing the two seems like a great option!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 12:26 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
I am going to build a new rip machine/media storage.

I plan on installing a 32gb solid state drive for the o.s. only
2 1tb sata drives for storage
4 gb of ddr3 ram
AMD 3 quad core processor

The only purpose of this machine will be for media storage, the occasional web browsing, and the ever less occasional photo-shop.

Opinions?
man that's a small drive for your primary... I have windows 7 on this system, I've been running it for about a month now. So it's a relatively new instance. My windows 7 directory is 13GB by itself. My program files directory is 34GB. I have 1 game installed on this computer.

Might want to think about that.

You can certainly run an SSD and HDD's on the same system. You cannot however (or would not want to) put them them in a RAID array, since the SSD is so much faster, it would essentially be slowed down to the speed of your slowest HDD, sitting there paging.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 05:07 PM
fuckcanada

My dell 620 laptop is a file server/torrent server and shares out a 2tb usb drive to the network. I had it running 30gb drive as an OS and noticed that it was a bit small. I run a kingston 64gb ssd v-series, its not that great but works great in this setup. Runs filezilla, and utorrent and plays 1080p content great

You'll be fine with the 30gb, but I would up it to 64 to give you more room for future ideas.

If you don't mind waiting a bit, read up on these.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1111/1/

Poor man's intel g2. I'm picking one up asap I could care less for incredible write speeds, the random small writes would interest me more. Its just a boot drive ya know.

Last edited by Roliath; 11-03-2009 at 05:23 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

thiscat200 said i could get away with the 32gb ssd for os; as long as i setup my documents, and storage folders to all go to the 500-1tb sata drives.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 PM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
thiscat200 said i could get away with the 32gb ssd for os; as long as i setup my documents, and storage folders to all go to the 500-1tb sata drives.
Yeah you can, but you said it your self this will be a " rip machine/media storage."

What documents would you want/need to store locally? I don't really think this computer would be for personal use (office productivity, etc.....) unless you have other intentions for it.

If you do'nt have the 1tb drives already, Fry's has a deal on 5900 green drives (I think WD) for 59.99 right now. Well they were on sale this past weekend, but it may be worth a shot to check em out.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Gunga galunga

The only problem with a small SSD is that the medium has a limited number of read/write cycles. The drives have firmware that spreads the usage around the drive so that it "wears" evenly, the smaller the drive and the larger amount of the space used limits this.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 11:35 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford View Post
The only problem with a small SSD is that the medium has a limited number of read/write cycles. The drives have firmware that spreads the usage around the drive so that it "wears" evenly, the smaller the drive and the larger amount of the space used limits this.
It's highly over sensationalized, an SSD even with write cycle limitations will last longer than a HDD. Whether it lasts 7 years or 12 years it's still going to be a doorstop in 4 years.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 10:31 PM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
It's highly over sensationalized, an SSD even with write cycle limitations will last longer than a HDD. Whether it lasts 7 years or 12 years it's still going to be a doorstop in 4 years.
Meh, same can be said for mechanical drives albeit with SSD's the "faster" death is inevitable.

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Back To Normal

Quote:
I've been running it for about a month now. So it's a relatively new instance. My windows 7 directory is 13GB by itself. My program files directory is 34GB. I have 1 game installed on this computer.
Man, you need to check you system. I just installed W7 last week and my windows directory is 7 GB and my program files directory is 900 MB. You have a lot more stuff then you're leading on loaded on your computer.

Texan By Birth, Techsan By Choice.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:25 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
Meh, same can be said for mechanical drives albeit with SSD's the "faster" death is inevitable.
If you look at the numbers it doesn't even matter, you won't be using either long enough for it to even be a factor. People said the same shit about plasma TV's and the half-life.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:33 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001 GT View Post
Man, you need to check you system. I just installed W7 last week and my windows directory is 7 GB and my program files directory is 900 MB. You have a lot more stuff then you're leading on loaded on your computer.
I've installed W7 x64 on about 25 workstations and I can tell you W7 Ultimate starts at 10GB and with windows updates, system configs, and memory dump allocation it ends up being around 13-16GB.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...uirements.aspx

16GB required for 32bit, 20GB required for 64 bit. Like I was trying to explain - the actual size of your folder is entirely relative, it will change as the instance matures. Windows doesn't just install itself and then cease to utilize hard drive space, there are many routines and services that require hard drive space. 32GB SSD for your primary W7 partition is not enough in my opinion. If you think it is then give it a shot. My entire point is if the only thing you can stick on that expensive SSD is your OS directory only, why waste the money? Sure it helps boot times, but once you're in windows do you just browse the web and click on the calculator all day? You utilize applications, games, multimedia - all of which you plan to place on a slower hdd, essentially you get into windows quicker, and transitions between basic system files is quicker, but the performance boost isn't where I myself would want it. In 12-24 months time you will look back on how much you paid for a relatively useless 30GB SSD and kick yourself. My personal opinion is the 100gb+ area is when they become a legitimate alternative.

Last edited by CJ; 11-04-2009 at 11:47 PM.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Back To Normal

Quote:
I've installed W7 x64 on about 25 workstations and I can tell you W7 Ultimate starts at 10GB and with windows updates, system configs, and memory dump allocation it ends up being around 13-16GB.
Here is a brand new fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate with all patches. As you will see it is not 10 GB...just sayin.

I do agree that the Window folder is relative and does grow incrementally. What I was alluding to is that you said your program files directory was 34GB so you clearly have more installed then just the OS and a game.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Install.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	95217  

Texan By Birth, Techsan By Choice.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 11:25 AM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001 GT View Post
Here is a brand new fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate with all patches. As you will see it is not 10 GB...just sayin.

I do agree that the Window folder is relative and does grow incrementally. What I was alluding to is that you said your program files directory was 34GB so you clearly have more installed then just the OS and a game.
Is that an ultimate install? 7gb is impressive, I didn't realize that install was that small.

EDIT: I just re-read it, must have overlooked the "Windows 7 Ultimate with all patches."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement