Help with setup of PS3,wireless, WPA-PSK - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Baiter

Help with setup of PS3,wireless, WPA-PSK

Trying to set up a PS3 to a linksys by cisco wireless router. Using PSA-WPK security. The PS3 is unable to connect to the network. The only way that I can make it connect is to turn off the firewall and to allow anonymous internet requests. Is there a way that I can add the PS3 to my network? I was thinking that I could have the router allow specfic IP addresses but I don't know how to figure out the addy of the Playstation. Anybody help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 04:19 PM
duh...duh....duh

1. What does wireless have to do with the firewall? Are you talking about a firewall on the router? If so, jsut allow all outbound, no real reason to restrict outbound connectivity. Otherwise, provide full access for the IP address of your PS3. I'm sure that information is somewhere in your PS3 settings. Make it a static IP as well.

2. I'm not familiar with PSA-WPK for encryption/keys. I think I know what you meant, but I don't want to assume.

In general you have no wireless problems though, it is a router configuration issue.

My '03 Sold.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
1. What does wireless have to do with the firewall? Are you talking about a firewall on the router? If so, jsut allow all outbound, no real reason to restrict outbound connectivity. Otherwise, provide full access for the IP address of your PS3. I'm sure that information is somewhere in your PS3 settings. Make it a static IP as well.

2. I'm not familiar with PSA-WPK for encryption/keys. I think I know what you meant, but I don't want to assume.

In general you have no wireless problems though, it is a router configuration issue.
1. I don't know what the wireless has to do with firewall. It was just a radio button that I turned off to make the PS3 connect. It and the radio for "allow anonymous internet requests." I would love to provide full access for my PS3 addy but I don't know what it is nor how to find it. I don't know how to make it a static IP either. Please explain.

2. I don't know what the security is WPA, WAP, WOP, Whopper..... Confusing to me. I don't run it on my wireless. I live out in the sticks, don't worry about the neighbors stealing.

I setting this up at my brother in laws house. He doesn't have a wireless problem. I get a 60% signal to the PS3. I know the pass key for the router. I can get everything set up, just don't know how to set the router up to allow the PS3 to connect all the time.. I have to turn off the firewall and to uncheck the box "allow anonymous internet request"

So basically, I think what I am asking for help with is:

Make the router accept the IP address of the PS3.
Keep the security intact that is currently installed(not my system, my brother in laws)
Be able to use the PS3 on the wireless home network without having to deactivate the router's security.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 05:08 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloestang View Post
1. I don't know what the wireless has to do with firewall. It was just a radio button that I turned off to make the PS3 connect. It and the radio for "allow anonymous internet requests." I would love to provide full access for my PS3 addy but I don't know what it is nor how to find it. I don't know how to make it a static IP either. Please explain.

2. I don't know what the security is WPA, WAP, WOP, Whopper..... Confusing to me. I don't run it on my wireless. I live out in the sticks, don't worry about the neighbors stealing.

I setting this up at my brother in laws house. He doesn't have a wireless problem. I get a 60% signal to the PS3. I know the pass key for the router. I can get everything set up, just don't know how to set the router up to allow the PS3 to connect all the time.. I have to turn off the firewall and to uncheck the box "allow anonymous internet request"

So basically, I think what I am asking for help with is:

Make the router accept the IP address of the PS3.
Keep the security intact that is currently installed(not my system, my brother in laws)
Be able to use the PS3 on the wireless home network without having to deactivate the router's security.
This is one of those deals where I'm hoping another member can help you. I understand some of this stuff can be generally tricky to obtain, but it is a bit too generalized for me to ascertain your exact problem. Your symptoms bounce between wireless, firewall and PS3 settings.

What model router is it exactly, that'll help for sure.

My '03 Sold.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post

What model router is it exactly, that'll help for sure.
Cisco Linksys WRT110
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Baiter

Let's narrow this down step by step and I will try each.

First, how do I make the PS3 have a static IP?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Baiter

I think I found something that might work. Will you please read thru this and tell me what you think?

http://www.ps3problems.com/ps3-cant-...p-address-dmz/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement