Failed Maxtor HDD - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
2girls1cup

Failed Maxtor HDD

I had a friend that had a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 in his Dell. The machine would not reconize the HDD. I took the HDD out and stuck it into a USB enclosure. I was able to mount it on my laptop but every time I try and access it. It tells me the HD is not formatted, would you like to format it? Of course I said no. I then went into a Onclick which is what I use for data recovery. The program says that it cant even see the drive although its mounted. All sounds from the HD sound normal. No clicking or obscure sounds. I have been look on the web for a proprietary tool from Maxtor which might give me some information as to what is going on. I can not find anything though.

I read a thread this morn that said to use the SeaTools from Seagate but that did not work either. Any ideas here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
2girls1cup

I think that I may have pinpointed it down to the Firmware on the HDD. Anyone ever changed the firmware on a Maxtor HDD?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
You might try getting another PCB for it BUT it has to be exactly the same. E-bay will likely get you what you need.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 09:34 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

I've had 1 Maxtor HDD since I've been dabbling in computer hardware and it failed after about 3 years of use. I've never had a WD or Seagate fail on me.

Sorry, no real help in my response, just thought I would interject that I think Maxtor is crap.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 10:29 AM
dead

never used onclick.

try using a program called GetDataBack. i've used that 3 times in the past sucessfully.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
2girls1cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
never used onclick.

try using a program called GetDataBack. i've used that 3 times in the past sucessfully.
I have used it once with success. Why do you recommend not using it?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 12:15 PM
$uper $low

Do you know if there was any type of drive encryption on it?
On the system that did recognize it in the external enclosure, what does it show up as in disk management?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
2girls1cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
Do you know if there was any type of drive encryption on it?
On the system that did recognize it in the external enclosure, what does it show up as in disk management?
Not that I know of. Disk 1 I believe E drive. I am about 99% positive it is a firmware issue on the HDD.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 04:27 PM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue5spd View Post
I have used it once with success. Why do you recommend not using it?
i didnt say not to use it, i just don't know anything about it.

im just recommending a program i know will work if the drive is physically ok.

Last edited by momo stallion; 10-29-2009 at 04:43 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 04:37 PM
$uper $low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue5spd View Post
Not that I know of. Disk 1 I believe E drive. I am about 99% positive it is a firmware issue on the HDD.
I don't know what Dell has been shipping with their systems lately, but i know HP has drive encryption software on some of their elitebooks and such from factory.

Assuming firmware is the issue, is the board removable from the hard drive? if so, and it's not in warranty, search out for some place that may sell just the board.

If it is under warranty, get it replaced with dell, and swap the boards when the new drive comes in.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
2girls1cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
i didnt say not to use it, i just don't know anything about it.

im just recommending a program i know will work if the drive is physically ok.
My bad. I misread it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
2girls1cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
I don't know what Dell has been shipping with their systems lately, but i know HP has drive encryption software on some of their elitebooks and such from factory.

Assuming firmware is the issue, is the board removable from the hard drive? if so, and it's not in warranty, search out for some place that may sell just the board.

If it is under warranty, get it replaced with dell, and swap the boards when the new drive comes in.
Thanks for the help..

Here is a email I got from a Data recovery company. My friend declined though..

Thank you for your request.
Your drive most likely has firmware corruption. It's a very common Maxtor problem. Typically the drive spins up fine, doesn't click and either doesn't show up at all or identifies with wrong capacity and model name - usually with factory alias(N40P, CALYPSO, GRIZZLY, etc). Data recovery in such case requires use of specialized equipment and experience to access firmware and repair corrupted modules.
We could do this job for 590 USD. This quote will never go up. It's a final invoice price including all parts, cleanroom fees and labor. Evaluation is free of charge. At any time you can cancel the job and we will ship the drive back to you at no charge in its original condition. We guarantee full confidentiality of your data. And of course we won't charge you anything unless we recover your files. I must also say that with this type of problem chances of full successful recovery in our lab are close to 100%.

The process is simple. Once we get your drive in our lab we will perform diagnostics and do the job. Usually it takes about 1-2 weeks depending on the complexity of your case. After recovery is completed we will provide you with the list of recovered files and if you are satisfied we proceed with the payment (credit card or paypal). After the payment we will either upload your data to our secure FTP-server free of charge or copy to another media and send back to you.

You can find all the shipping details on our website: http://datacent.com/shipping.php
We look forward to working with you. Please read what our past clients say about us and their experience with our company: http://datacent.com/testimonials

PS: We recommend to stay away from those $149 and $289 preliminary quotes as well as broad range quotes you can find on the net. Their goal is to get your drive and after "evaluation" price would go up several times and sure enough your final quote will be near higher end of the given range. Always ask for the final quote in advance. Experienced and honest companies are always able to tell what's wrong with your drive and evaluate their costs based on symptoms you describe.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement