Thinking of getting a Mac - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thinking of getting a Mac

I have always wanted one to use the photo and video editing software, i really want to play around in Final Cut Studio as well..so the story begins, i was deciding on which iMac to get then low and behold best buy had the new 27"! Amazing to see that beauty in person, and I think i am sold....almost, does anyone here use a mac to game on going through parallels or another software? I am curious to see how well it could handle that...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

You won't want to game through parallels.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Time Served

I would not game on a MAC. Honestly, I had the first MAC and been around many Apples since. IMHO, there is nothing a PC cannot do better than a MAC or Apple computer. If it would have been left up to them (Apple), we would not be able to do alot of the things we do today on a PC.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
I would not game on a MAC. Honestly, I had the first MAC and been around many Apples since. IMHO, there is nothing a PC cannot do better than a MAC or Apple computer. If it would have been left up to them (Apple), we would not be able to do alot of the things we do today on a PC.
Final Cut Studio is, in my opinion, the best editing software available to consumers today. There is no PC version of Final Cut; you can use Avid or Premiere, both of which are giant pains in the ass. There are plenty of instances where a Mac is a totally justifiable purchase.

<---PC user.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Banned

Macs are fricken sweet. The H/W is waaay superior.

You will need to run bootcamp and dual boot to Win32 to game.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Gunga galunga

You won't be disappointed, I've used macs in school for video editing but always built pc's for my own use. Finally bought a MacBook and I can't even imagine going back. I use fusion with xp and have been completely happy. Fusion's unity mode is really handy...

Agree with ^, used premiere and after effects quite a bit, but I think final cut pro is a better product overall.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Why not do this?

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...own_hackintosh

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Very Interesting

my hackintosh works great for basic MAC use

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 10:47 PM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_revival View Post
Macs are fricken sweet. The H/W is waaay superior.

You will need to run bootcamp and dual boot to Win32 to game.
The h/w is not superior. Its the same as pc's.

I love my macbook pro, I tried parallels' but ended up using bootcamp to game and vmware fusion to run my VM's.

I game on my Windows 7, bootcamp partition. TF2, Fallout 3, Torchlight, and AION, runs most without a sweat albeit not at full settings because its still ONLY a 9600gt.

This was one of the best purchases i've made since my SSD's

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 06:04 AM
Time Served

I am glad you all like your MACS and Apples. I was just sharing my opinion. I try to keep an open mind when it comes to Apples so I hear you all.

I work at Warner Bros. where we edit and compile video and music as much or more than anyone, professionally. We have no Apples.

I am also a big gamer, back past Wolfenstein, and PC's are it for me. I have been drag racing my PC's into games and launch rooms for a long time (since binding protocols in DOS) and I am usually the first one in, always. PC built and tuned by me. I currently play Battlefield 2 online almost daily and I am still first in always and this PC is more than two years old.

I just have a problem with Apple because they act so Liberal and cool when historically they are very propriety and money hungry. A PC wouldn't crash either if there was so much control and limitations to what is on it by the manufacturer. I just look out for PC's because I feel like we would not all be tuning our own cars and all the other cool stuff we do with PC's now if it would have been left up to Apple and Jobs.

The hardware is the same. SSD's are cool but I have no prob with these 10000RPM 36 gig raptors either (striped). I think their monitors look great also, they are just way too expensive. You can get more for your money, I think (Dell plasma or newer equivalent).

Again, just MHO.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Bootcamp is the software that comes already loaded on the Mac right?
I would use parallels in cohesion(i think) mode? The only reason I need a windows based is just for gaming, i prefer all mac software over windows based...
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

what software do you use?
Quote:
I am glad you all like your MACS and Apples. I was just sharing my opinion. I try to keep an open mind when it comes to Apples so I hear you all.

I work at Warner Bros. where we edit and compile video and music as much or more than anyone, professionally. We have no Apples.

I am also a big gamer, back past Wolfenstein, and PC's are it for me. I have been drag racing my PC's into games and launch rooms for a long time (since binding protocols in DOS) and I am usually the first one in, always. PC built and tuned by me. I currently play Battlefield 2 online almost daily and I am still first in always and this PC is more than two years old.

I just have a problem with Apple because they act so Liberal and cool when historically they are very propriety and money hungry. A PC wouldn't crash either if there was so much control and limitations to what is on it by the manufacturer. I just look out for PC's because I feel like we would not all be tuning our own cars and all the other cool stuff we do with PC's now if it would have been left up to Apple and Jobs.

The hardware is the same. SSD's are cool but I have no prob with these 10000RPM 36 gig raptors either (striped). I think their monitors look great also, they are just way too expensive. You can get more for your money, I think (Dell plasma or newer equivalent).

Again, just MHO.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 12:50 PM
fuckcanada

Quote:
The hardware is the same. SSD's are cool but I have no prob with these 10000RPM 36 gig raptors either (striped).
That's a whole nother conversation right there. Raptor's get the job done but are loud when seeking especially when striped (since your seeking across 2 (or more) drives).

SSD's are silent and their speed is absurd.

I couldn't touch these speeds with 4x 300gb sas drives @ 15k rpm on a areca raid card or a perc5/6.

3x 80gb intel g1's on ich10r. looks like I hit the cap of the controller.

2x 80gb intel g1's on ich10r

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary View Post
Bootcamp is the software that comes already loaded on the Mac right?
I would use parallels in cohesion(i think) mode? The only reason I need a windows based is just for gaming, i prefer all mac software over windows based...
Bootcamp came on my macbook that I bought last year. I would assume it still comes with just about any mac.

Bootcamp helps you install the full blown real Windows XP/Vista/7 operating system and let's you choose which one you want to start up when you turn on your computer. So for video editing and everything just boot into Mac OS X and for gaming just boot into Windows. It's a small inconvenience to restart the computer to switch between the two but it will be much more reliable for gaming than Parallels or any other virtualization software.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 11:40 PM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt54 View Post
Bootcamp came on my macbook that I bought last year. I would assume it still comes with just about any mac.

Bootcamp helps you install the full blown real Windows XP/Vista/7 operating system and let's you choose which one you want to start up when you turn on your computer. So for video editing and everything just boot into Mac OS X and for gaming just boot into Windows. It's a small inconvenience to restart the computer to switch between the two but it will be much more reliable for gaming than Parallels or any other virtualization software.
VMware Fusion can also boot your bootcamp partition, so you could run it side by side with OS X and reboot into windows if you need to.

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Time Served

Quote:
what software do you use?
I cannot say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
That's a whole nother conversation right there. Raptor's get the job done but are loud when seeking especially when striped (since your seeking across 2 (or more) drives).

SSD's are silent and their speed is absurd.

I couldn't touch these speeds with 4x 300gb sas drives @ 15k rpm on a areca raid card or a perc5/6.

3x 80gb intel g1's on ich10r. looks like I hit the cap of the controller.

2x 80gb intel g1's on ich10r
VVN speed! It does look like you have a bottleneck. SSD's will be a have to have in my next box. Thanks for sharing. I love graphs!
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

So I did it. Bought the 27" iMac duo 3.03, 1TB, 4GB ram
I did not have too long to mess with it this weekend, but the high def video editing is seamless with no lag whatsoever. I am impressed with just the built in iMovie and iDvd, i will be buying final cut studio, but for now I will work with iMovie and garage band just to learn the basics. Also spaces is amazing!!!
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:54 AM
fuckcanada

Spaces and expose are baller.
I really think you should have gone with the i5 or i7 just for "future proofing" (as much as one can to an extent). did you get the 4670 or the 4850?

Nice purchase btw, post some pics.

I really want to purchase a quad 27 imac, but I want to see them ship first.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
Spaces and expose are baller.
I really think you should have gone with the i5 or i7 just for "future proofing" (as much as one can to an extent). did you get the 4670 or the 4850?

Nice purchase btw, post some pics.

I really want to purchase a quad 27 imac, but I want to see them ship first.
oh i really wanted the quad, but i am very impatient! i got the 4670, base model basically, but she is a damn fine machine, i will be putting some games on this week and seeing how it handles that, but if it handles and renders HD video as well as it did, i am a believer!
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

lmfao @ The H/W is waaay superior.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Big "foot"

Quote:
<- jealous as hell!

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

That sums this thread up

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 PM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x View Post

That sums this thread up
haha

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Lifer

lmfao!!! ^^^

Daniel's RV-7:

Empenage - Done
Wings - 98.5% Done
Fuselage - Bulkheads...

http://www.danielhv.com
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 03:36 PM
fuckcanada

How have you been liking your new imac? How you do like the lcd with everyday use?

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Time Served

Just turn your PC into a Mac... Hackintosh, google Hackintosh, OSx86, or Hackint0sh
I turned my dell into a Hackintosh or you could call it a Mell....
lol
I used iDeneb Lite 10.5.8

Good luck if you decide to go that route

05 Dodge Magnum R/T Hell Yes its got a HEMI
93 Mazda Miata - 5.0 in, just needing a few more things...

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/svtgod.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">svtgod.</iframe>
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I did not have too long to mess with it this weekend, but the high def video editing is seamless with no lag whatsoever. I am impressed with just the built in iMovie and iDvd, i will be buying final cut studio, but for now I will work with iMovie and garage band just to learn the basics. Also spaces is amazing!!!
Congrats! Those are some sweet looking monitors. As for FC, why not get FC Express. It does almost everything FC does, but at 1/10th of the cost.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

i upgraded from a few laptops, and a few home made computers i have, newest one i built 2 years ago or so, i am blown away by this machine, i know i could have built an equal machine for same price or less windows based, but the OS is just much smoother to me. I have installed parallels and i am installing xp on it right now along with Microsoft office for mac, not one bit of lag, have a few things open in different spaces as well ...seemless......going to try gaming on it tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement