Hey all of you video game playing dorks, I need some advice - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Resident Misanthrope

Location: I am sorry, you must have mistaken me for someone that gives a Fuck!
Hey all of you video game playing dorks, I need some advice

Ok, so I haven't been much into video games since probably the original Nintendo came out with the exception of NCAA Football (to which I still only have NCAA 2004 or something). I have a playstation 2 that I really don't play that much. My son is wanting to get Rockband. Here is my delimma. There are so many damn options out there. Ok, so here is my options that I was contemplaing..

1) Get Rockband for PS2
2) Get cheap xbox, like 8GB and Rockband for that. Think I can find them for like $30 or so, not with Rockband.
3) Get cheap Wii and Rockband, refurbished Wii for around $150
4) Get other xbox and Rockband

Ok, so I am looking for advice. Here are my concerns. This thing will not be played that much, so I am not looking to spend a lot of money. I am not sure how well, or how long my PS2 has. I have had it for quite some time. Is the Rockband for PS2 any good? Will the 8GB xbox play Rockband and is that any good? I think the Wii sucks, as in, I don't like the idea of how you play and I don't like the games, would like to avoid if possible.

anyone, anyone, Beuler?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Lifer

Are you talking about a regular x-box or x-box 360?

2010 F-350 6.4L 4X4 CC SRW Longbed

Spartan 250 tune, 5 inch Flo-Pro exhaust w/DPF delete, AFE stage 2 CAI
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Resident Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
Are you talking about a regular x-box or x-box 360?
hell if I know, what is the difference?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly View Post
Just look around on craigslist and pick up a used 360. They can be had fairly cheap and will keep you updated game wise for another ten years. You can find a used rockband set-up for fairly cheap as well.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Lifer

Quote:
The x-box 360 is a better system of the two. Like superwho said you can get them fairly cheap and that is the way I would go. Just better quailty all around.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Resident Misanthrope

so it is worth spending the extra money to get the 360 vs. just getting Rockband for the PS2? I am just having a hard time doing that knowing this will get played like twice a month.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Nobody

Quote:
so it is worth spending the extra money to get the 360 vs. just getting Rockband for the PS2? I am just having a hard time doing that knowing this will get played like twice a month.
Honestly, yes. You will get your money's worth. Plus, it might motivate you to get on your ass and play more video games and stay out of the cancerous sun.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Why would it be only played twice a month? And yes it's worth the extra money to get the 360.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Resident Epicurean

If you go the 360 route, make sure whoever you buy it from hooks it up first and all works as designed. RROD is a bitch, and you don't want to get fucked.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Resident Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
Why would it be only played twice a month? And yes it's worth the extra money to get the 360.
I estimate twice a month because we are ususally busy with sports and other activities until 7, then homework and bed, and then I have my son every other weekend, which is usually filled with some sort of sports. I am wanting it for those few and far between down times.

I dont want to raise my son on video games. I saw a friend of mine do it, and I saw how anti-social his kid was.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
I estimate twice a month because we are ususally busy with sports and other activities until 7, then homework and bed, and then I have my son every other weekend, which is usually filled with some sort of sports. I am wanting it for those few and far between down times.

I dont want to raise my son on video games. I saw a friend of mine do it, and I saw how anti-social his kid was.
Blakeski is your friend's son?

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

i didnt even know they still made games for PS2 but yeah the 360 is the route to go and you can use the 360 for other features as well not just games. i watch netflix movies on my x-box when i'm not playing.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 06:29 AM
duh...duh....duh

I'm a XB360 fan. Some would argue that the PS3 is the way to go wtih Rock Band, since you then get a blu-ray player. I'd have to agree with them, especially with all the network based improvements they've made with the PS3.

I'd be hard pressed to pick between a PS3 and an XB360 these days.

My '03 Sold.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Colorado Dreamin'

You should buy my Wii..

Seriously, if budget is a big factor then your options are pretty limited. Not only do you need to buy the system, but games as well. As for Rockband, the down side of the Wii and PS2 is that you cannot access the downloadable content. You can buy add-on disks with more music but then you buy 20 songs just to get 4 you like. When you can download you can pick and choose and get only what you want. Now, if you don't see it getting a ton of use then that is not as much of a factor.

I agree with Ceyko on the PS3. We have one and use it for blue ray and as an upconverting dvd player more than as a gaming system. Rockband has gotten alot of use because of our parties, but we rarely play it on our own anymore. We got a solid year of regular use out of RB1 then a couple of months of RB2 but that's about it. You can also use the PS3 for a bunch of other things pertaining to home media but I would never take the time to figure all of that shit out.

The good thing about the Wii is that although it is a video game kids are actually 'active' while playing it, as opposed to sitting down.

Ultimately, if you don't think it's going to get alot of use then just stick with the PS2 and get some new games.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Resident Misanthrope

I was thinking about the PS3 because of the features, but then again, I don't have any Blue-Ray movies and I don't really watch movies at home that much anyway. I would more want it for the controller being what I am used to from the PS2. So end the end, while it is probably better, I don't think I would ever notice.

Yea, buying a gaming system is probably not the best use of my money, which is why I don't want to spend much. I am just going to sit on it for a while and wait for a deal I guess. I have been scouring Craigslist looking for a system with some games or so for a descent price.

I can trade my stuff in at gamestop for a store credit, which I am thinking about doing on a 360 and controllers and stuff....I don't know. Just going to sit around and wait for a good deal. Who knows, maybe someone will just be giving away an xbox with the RROD and I can get it fixed for $30 or so.

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Who knows, maybe someone will just be giving away an xbox with the RROD and I can get it fixed for $30 or so.
does anyone know somebody that can fyx xbox 360 mine just keep sayin open tay when i try and play a game?
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Time Served

Quote:
I was thinking about the PS3 because of the features, but then again, I don't have any Blue-Ray movies and I don't really watch movies at home that much anyway. I would more want it for the controller being what I am used to from the PS2. So end the end, while it is probably better, I don't think I would ever notice.

Yea, buying a gaming system is probably not the best use of my money, which is why I don't want to spend much. I am just going to sit on it for a while and wait for a deal I guess. I have been scouring Craigslist looking for a system with some games or so for a descent price.

I can trade my stuff in at gamestop for a store credit, which I am thinking about doing on a 360 and controllers and stuff....I don't know. Just going to sit around and wait for a good deal. Who knows, maybe someone will just be giving away an xbox with the RROD and I can get it fixed for $30 or so.
I have not had a system in years. Once I played that Modern Warfare I had to have one. I ended up with a PS3 80 gig and fuck me running they came out with the PS3 slim with a 120gig hardrive and dropped the prices by $100.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Lifer

i have a PS2 and a 360. i have all the rockband/guitar hero for the PS2. i have found that it is cheaper that way. i haven't had any problems with it either. no reason to buy a new system if you don't play it all that much.

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Ok, so I haven't been much into video games since probably the original Nintendo came out with the exception of NCAA Football (to which I still only have NCAA 2004 or something). I have a playstation 2 that I really don't play that much. My son is wanting to get Rockband. Here is my delimma. There are so many damn options out there. Ok, so here is my options that I was contemplaing..

1) Get Rockband for PS2
2) Get cheap xbox, like 8GB and Rockband for that. Think I can find them for like $30 or so, not with Rockband.
3) Get cheap Wii and Rockband, refurbished Wii for around $150
4) Get other xbox and Rockband

Ok, so I am looking for advice. Here are my concerns. This thing will not be played that much, so I am not looking to spend a lot of money. I am not sure how well, or how long my PS2 has. I have had it for quite some time. Is the Rockband for PS2 any good? Will the 8GB xbox play Rockband and is that any good? I think the Wii sucks, as in, I don't like the idea of how you play and I don't like the games, would like to avoid if possible.

anyone, anyone, Beuler?
I am selling a Used Xbox 360 with two controllers for $150 comes with 20gb hard drive. For $200 I can give you that and all my games = Dead rising, Gears of War 1&2, Star Wars Force Unleashed, Grand Theft auto IV

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:01 PM
B-WIZ

Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Quote:

If you plan on playing any other games what so ever, get a ps3 or xbox 360. If this is ONLY for rock band, I'd stay with the ps2. However, I don't think you can buy the new songs on PS2 though. They have new ones like every week on xbox live.

If you plan on getting the PS3 or 360... the PS3 has more utility value, (blu ray, web browser, built in wifi, free online) but the 360 is a little better coming from a gamers stand point. (Better game selection, more users, great online)

Either way, you shouldn't be displeased, but buy used cause you'll find a better deal for sure. Just go for at least a 20 gig XBOX 360 PRO or ANY PS3 will do.

*EDIT*
Thats a good deal above my post

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Resident Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_fiux View Post
I am selling a Used Xbox 360 with two controllers for $150 comes with 20gb hard drive. For $200 I can give you that and all my games = Dead rising, Gears of War 1&2, Star Wars Force Unleashed, Grand Theft auto IV
thanks for the offer, but I think I have lined up an xbox live (???), controller, Rock Band stuff and game, dance revolution and stuff for $100. Yes, it is the xbox 360 console, don't know what they mean by live, but the price is right for all of it.

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
thanks for the offer, but I think I have lined up an xbox live (???), controller, Rock Band stuff and game, dance revolution and stuff for $100. Yes, it is the xbox 360 console, don't know what they mean by live, but the price is right for all of it.
Hmmm, something doesn't smell right about all of that for $100...be carefull.

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:
if that includes a console, that is stupid cheap. be very careful about that deal.

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Resident Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by MireFire 2.0 View Post
Hmmm, something doesn't smell right about all of that for $100...be carefull.
tell me about it, I had pictures sent of everything that is included, with it turned on....it is some chick selling it. I was shocked that I ran across it

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Resident Misanthrope

Quote:
tell me about it, I had pictures sent of everything that is included, with it turned on....it is some chick selling it. I was shocked that I ran across it
Score, XBox 360 Pro w/20 GB hard drive and wireless controller, rockband and that dance game. Going to trade that in for some college football at gamestop, possibly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement