CCNA...who's got it? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

CCNA...who's got it?

Does anyone here have their CCNA? I'm trying to find out exactly how hard the exam is. I have books, flash cards, sim exams, my own freaking lab at home with 3 routers and 2 switches...you name it and can't seem to find a way to retain all this data. Of course part of my problem is consistently finding time to study.....

So, anyone here certified? I'm also thinking of breaking it up by taking the ICND1 then ICND2 later. I *think* you're still classified as CCNA certified after passing ICND2.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 09:54 AM
duh...duh....duh

http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Certified...386142&sr=11-1

/end thread

What specific topics are you having problems with?

My '03 Sold.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Very Interesting

I'll have my little piece of paper in two weeks

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Good luck Matt!

Ceyko, I think my main problem is finding time to dedicate to studying and practicing. Second to that would be retaining what I learn and tieing it all together. I took 2 of 4 classes at North Lake last year that was 4 days a week and did fairly well. But had to take a break due to financial reasons. I've been doing Help desk work for years and that is what's embedded in my head...I can do it in my sleep. So when I learn something new, if I don't do it on a regular basis, I seem to eventually forget it. I occasionally have the chance to work on network issues at work, it's rare and since we're a small company, the IT Mgr handles it.

I've been told that you have to be able to do all of this pretty fast for the CCNA exam and I think I'm intmidated by that, thinking I can't do it quick enough. I can convert binary, subnet, I understood some of the protocols in class and knew my way around a router...I just wasn't fast at it. I know that goes along with practice, practice, practice which is problem #1.

George
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Very Interesting

thanks,

I've been NT 4.0 MCSE since the 90s, and I've added a few individual certs here and there, just never got around to updating.

So Saturday I start a 16 day adventure into updating to MCSE 2003: Security, MCTS: Vista, Security +, and CCNA. Then I'll go take the 2008 MCITP Server 2008 exam to upgrade

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 01:17 PM
duh...duh....duh

George,
Either post up or PM me if you have specific questions. I have a couple of Cisco certs and do a little bit of stuff daily with the Gold Partner I work for...

The CCNA is a pretty straight forward exam if you understand the material. Just need to buckle down and dooooo it.

My '03 Sold.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt View Post
thanks,

I've been NT 4.0 MCSE since the 90s, and I've added a few individual certs here and there, just never got around to updating.

So Saturday I start a 16 day adventure into updating to MCSE 2003: Security, MCTS: Vista, Security +, and CCNA. Then I'll go take the 2008 MCITP Server 2008 exam to upgrade
YIKES!! Last cert I had was NT 4.0 Workstation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
George,
Either post up or PM me if you have specific questions. I have a couple of Cisco certs and do a little bit of stuff daily with the Gold Partner I work for...

The CCNA is a pretty straight forward exam if you understand the material. Just need to buckle down and dooooo it.
Thanks....I'm hoping to be ready to take it around Nov. 13. I'm off that week and will use that time to do any last minute cramming. I think what I'll probably do is break it up between the ICND1 and then take ICND2 later but I'm not sure yet. Depends on how my progress is over the next 4 weeks.

George
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 01:53 PM
duh...duh....duh

I'm telling ya, that book a lone should do the trick man. Do you have any hands out route/switch experience? What switches and routers do you have in your home lab?

My '03 Sold.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 02:53 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

My buddy just spent a week at some course then took the tests on Thursday and Friday, then the security test on Sunday.
Missed the second test by 2 points, passed the others.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Lifer

I got a book and crammed for a week and passed the test. Of course , I already experience, but the test wasn't too bad.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
My buddy just spent a week at some course then took the tests on Thursday and Friday, then the security test on Sunday.
Missed the second test by 2 points, passed the others.
Tests? When I took it in 2001, it was only one test. Do you mean CCNP?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 03:04 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up View Post
Tests? When I took it in 2001, it was only one test. Do you mean CCNP?
CCNA can be one or two tests these days. Depending. The smart choice is the single test.

My '03 Sold.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
I'm telling ya, that book a lone should do the trick man. Do you have any hands out route/switch experience? What switches and routers do you have in your home lab?
unfortunately, no hands-on.... I'd have to look this evening to be sure but IIRC, the routers are 2611 XM, 2610 XM and another 2600 series. Switches are either 2900 or 2950.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement