network help - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
you stinky bitch

network help

I am using a dvr to view security cameras that has networking ability. It uses port 80 for something that it needs to communicate. My ISP blocks this port. Can I change it or are there any other ports I can use?

Best something in Texas.... just don't know what it is yet....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Lifer

Who's your ISP?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Time Served

Your isp shouldn't have nothing to do with whats communicating to your computer from the dvr as you do not need internet for your network. It's the firewall in your router that you use. What router are you using? You have to go into the router settings and setup port forwarding for that port to open it up for your computer to communicate with the dvr. Need more info from you to better help you.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 08:06 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline 6 View Post
I am using a dvr to view security cameras that has networking ability. It uses port 80 for something that it needs to communicate. My ISP blocks this port. Can I change it or are there any other ports I can use?
Outline exactly what is broke please. Is it from a computer on your LAN or a computer on the Internet that can't see the cameras?

My '03 Sold.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modular 5.4 View Post
Your isp shouldn't have nothing to do with whats communicating to your computer from the dvr as you do not need internet for your network. It's the firewall in your router that you use. What router are you using? You have to go into the router settings and setup port forwarding for that port to open it up for your computer to communicate with the dvr. Need more info from you to better help you.
Some ISP's DO block port 80.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 12:14 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Some ISP's DO block port 80.
I think what he's saying is on the LAN, in that case the ISP would have no effect.

A lot of ISPs block 80/443, 25..etc..etc on residential service, but I don't think that's what he was getting at.

My '03 Sold.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
you stinky bitch

The isp is sudden link and I found on their site where they do block port 80. Now my question is will port forwarding get me around this?

info regarding ports that are blocked by them....
http://www.suddenlink.com/support/in...nkHighSpeedIn/

My new issue is this. I ran a new cable line down a wall where I want the cable modem to be. Since this is in a place where it is not practical to use the internet since it is a concealed location to hide the dvr I used the one ethernet plug on ther back of the modem to plug into a wireless adapter so I can still have the internet in the rest of the house. The wireless adapter has multiple ethernet slots for direct ethernet plugin. Well come to find out the DVR says that it HAS to be plugged directly into the first modem no questions asked. I thought BS and did it my way and sure enough the network light on the dvr goes out when I did but if I wire it directly to the first modem it lights up steady. This is impractical since I need the wireless. Is there a cable modem that will have multiple ethernet plugs that will get me around this?

Also can I split the line in the attic and just run another modem somewhere or will this interfere with the other one? I know nothing about cable internet if you cant tell.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 11:38 AM
duh...duh....duh

Sigh, AGAIN....are you trying to access the DVR from the Internet or from your network that the DVR is on?

My '03 Sold.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
Sigh, AGAIN....are you trying to access the DVR from the Internet or from your network that the DVR is on?
X2

Another question is, are you using your personal modem or your ISP's?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 01:41 PM
dead

to answer your initial question you need to answer ceyko's question. are you trying to view your dvr feed from inside your LAN or from the internet?

Quote:
My new issue is this. I ran a new cable line down a wall where I want the cable modem to be. Since this is in a place where it is not practical to use the internet since it is a concealed location to hide the dvr I used the one ethernet plug on ther back of the modem to plug into a wireless adapter so I can still have the internet in the rest of the house. The wireless adapter has multiple ethernet slots for direct ethernet plugin.

first question: is your cable modem a router also? (does it have wifi antenna or 4 ethernet ports on the back?)

and what do you mean by wireless adapter?

Last edited by momo stallion; 10-18-2009 at 01:48 PM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
you stinky bitch

sorry, I am trying to remote view it via the web not on an internal network. The modem was provided by the isp and has only 1 ethernet port. The wifi antenna has 4 additional ports on the back in addition to the one that is needed to be plugged in from the modem. It was purchased separately to have wireless inside the home since the modem does not do both.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 03:00 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
sorry, I am trying to remote view it via the web not on an internal network. The modem was provided by the isp and has only 1 ethernet port. The wifi antenna has 4 additional ports on the back in addition to the one that is needed to be plugged in from the modem. It was purchased separately to have wireless inside the home since the modem does not do both.
So, you could make it some random port if you wanted. i.e.

http://207.235.254.2:7321 (use some port not common)

PAT that to 80 on your router to your DVR's internal address. You'll need to static IP that DVR. The other option is if the DVR allows you to change what it listens for web traffic on...

My '03 Sold.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
you stinky bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
So, you could make it some random port if you wanted. i.e.

http://207.235.254.2:7321 (use some port not common)

PAT that to 80 on your router to your DVR's internal address. You'll need to static IP that DVR. The other option is if the DVR allows you to change what it listens for web traffic on...
The DVR does allow me to change all the settings, I went through it last night and obtained its ip address through the router.

It gave me 192.168.2.6

In the menu there is a section that allows me to set the ports to anything I want. It has 3 listed and 80 is listed under the communication port. Are you saying that I can just change that to anything I want, adjust the settings on the pc I am trying to remote view it from and it should work?

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 03:38 PM
dead

Quote:
The DVR does allow me to change all the settings, I went through it last night and obtained its ip address through the router.

It gave me 192.168.2.6

In the menu there is a section that allows me to set the ports to anything I want. It has 3 listed and 80 is listed under the communication port. Are you saying that I can just change that to anything I want, adjust the settings on the pc I am trying to remote view it from and it should work?
yes. change the port to one not blocked by your ISP.
make sure to Forward that port on your router.

you will want to make sure you make that IP static however with port forwarding.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
you stinky bitch

ok got it, the isp gives a list of ports blocked by them. How do I find one that is not blocked? Just enter a random #?

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 09:37 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
ok got it, the isp gives a list of ports blocked by them. How do I find one that is not blocked? Just enter a random #?
Typically it is some of these common ones.

80, 443, 25, 110, 143. I'd bet much past that is not blocked.

Use 3333 - looks like some ancient crap it was used for in the day. Nothing you'd use now.

My '03 Sold.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
you stinky bitch

Ok will give it a try again this weekend. Do you have a # I can call you at if I need some more help while I am messing with it? You seem to know your shit. Oh and what about the modem issue? Can I just split the line and run 2 cable modems or will they mess with each other like a dsl setup?

thanks

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 10:10 AM
dead

Quote:
Ok will give it a try again this weekend. Do you have a # I can call you at if I need some more help while I am messing with it? You seem to know your shit. Oh and what about the modem issue? Can I just split the line and run 2 cable modems or will they mess with each other like a dsl setup?

thanks
no, you cant run 2 modems. the modem needs to plug into the WAN or internet port on your router.

what is the make and model of your router? i'll mspaint you a diagram.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 10:20 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:

thanks
Just post up here, I have twins and am busy as heck all the time now. Myself or others can post up responses.

My '03 Sold.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Lifer

What kind of router? I can post up step-by-step.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
you stinky bitch

I dunno the brand but it is just a very simple cable router. It has one spot for the cable line to screw on, one ethernet port, a usb port, and a spot for the power supply.....

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 12:46 PM
dead

Quote:
I dunno the brand but it is just a very simple cable router. It has one spot for the cable line to screw on, one ethernet port, a usb port, and a spot for the power supply.....
that's not the router, that's the modem that they supplied.

the router is the one you called a wireless adapter earlier.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
you stinky bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
that's not the router, that's the modem that they supplied.

the router is the one you called a wireless adapter earlier.
ahh sorry here it is...

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=136493

Sponsored Links
Advertisement