Data retrieval from old drive - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Professional Driver

Data retrieval from old drive

OK, I got my new Laptop and need to get the pertinent info off of the old drive.

The old(3yr old ) Dell doesn't run for more than 5 minutes before it cooks itself - and that is with a ice pack and a desk fan cooling the video card and processor!!!

I've got the Dell's drive in an external enclosure and pulled the quick stuff(movies, music and pics), but I always seem to miss something when trying to get old e-mails, contacts and settings.

The Dell was running XPMC and I used Outlook Express for e-mail and Outlook for my contacts and calendar.

The new one is vista home premium 64 and so far has windows mail and the windows contact manager

What files do I need to locate on the old drive to import all the old stuff to the new? Also, is there going to be a problem(format wise) going from OE to windows mail, etc...?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 12:15 AM
Lifer

E-Mail Migration:http://www.vista4beginners.com/Migra...o-Windows-Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Professional Driver

I can't export from the Dell - it doesn't run long enough to finish that task.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Lifer

Get a SATA & IDE to USB 2.0 kit. Remove the hard drive from the Dell. One end of the adapter plugs into the drive and the other to your USB port on working computer. Vista will recognize it as a removable storage device. You can then pull data from it as if it were a USB thumb drive. This is what I use for data recovery in most cases.

You can find the path to your Outlook message store folder in Tools drop down menu. e.g. C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement