Anyone know how to set up a new vista logon password, without knowing the old one? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Anyone know how to set up a new vista logon password, without knowing the old one?

Hi all. I recently landed a job at a local pawn shop, after a year of having to draw unemployment to make ends meet. However, one of their primary needs (which they will be looking to me to meet) is someone who can work on and fix the many computers that they take in. And the main problem they seem to be having with them, is their inability to reset vista passwords so that they can have a chance at selling them. After all, who's going to buy a computer that they can't even log into? You would think that they would be sure to get the password at the time of the sale, but of course no, the guy handling the purchase of over 20 computers that they have, did not understand that this is completely necessary. To remedy this, I have told the boss that it would be my advice to make that a requirement upon the purchase of ANY new computer. He agrees, of course.

However, that only solves the problem, for the future. We still have the stockpile of computers that can not be sold, as they are presently unusable with no password to log on with. With XP, it was as simple as going into safe mode, and creating a new administrator account. Then you could either delete the old accounts, or reset passwords, or both. But for some reason, Microstupid thought that it would be a good idea to get rid of that feature. And almost all of the time, the people who are coming in to pawn the computer, have long since misplaced the restore disc. So that option is out. We wouldn't mind just doing a system restore, where it sets it back to the day you opened the shiny new PC, and you get to setup the password. But as I said, this is impossible. So does anyone know how I can set a new password, so that a person can log onto vista, without knowing the old password?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
Hi all. I recently landed a job at a local pawn shop, after a year of having to draw unemployment to make ends meet. However, one of their primary needs (which they will be looking to me to meet) is someone who can work on and fix the many computers that they take in. And the main problem they seem to be having with them, is their inability to reset vista passwords so that they can have a chance at selling them. After all, who's going to buy a computer that they can't even log into? You would think that they would be sure to get the password at the time of the sale, but of course no, the guy handling the purchase of over 20 computers that they have, did not understand that this is completely necessary. To remedy this, I have told the boss that it would be my advice to make that a requirement upon the purchase of ANY new computer. He agrees, of course.

However, that only solves the problem, for the future. We still have the stockpile of computers that can not be sold, as they are presently unusable with no password to log on with. With XP, it was as simple as going into safe mode, and creating a new administrator account. Then you could either delete the old accounts, or reset passwords, or both. But for some reason, Microstupid thought that it would be a good idea to get rid of that feature. And almost all of the time, the people who are coming in to pawn the computer, have long since misplaced the restore disc. So that option is out. We wouldn't mind just doing a system restore, where it sets it back to the day you opened the shiny new PC, and you get to setup the password. But as I said, this is impossible. So does anyone know how I can set a new password, so that a person can log onto vista, without knowing the old password?

Removing the safe mode admin reset was very smart actually.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Thumbs up

Ophcrack should get done what you're needin.

Most newer pc's have a "restore/recovery partition that can be accessed to do it's thing w/out ever getting into Winblows. Search how to access recovery partition on (enter make/model here) on Google.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.

Last edited by Tx Redneck; 10-09-2009 at 09:36 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy View Post
Removing the safe mode admin reset was very smart actually.
Yeah you can do that... But I would do a fresh install since you dont know what kinda junk the previous user had in it, and the viruses it will have. Poof fresh install no problems. Just have a requirement to get the original disks to reformat the damn thing.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
Ophcrack should get done what you're needin.

Most newer pc's have a "restore/recovery partition that can be accessed to do it's thing w/out ever getting into Winblows. Search how to access recovery partition on (enter make/model here) on Google.
This takes too long as it trys to bruteforce the password.

http://4sysops.com/archives/three-wa...dmin-password/

#3. Download Hirens tools which also have ABUNCH of tools you can use when fixing the machines and use the offline password reset which is included in the hiren.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

What about just downloading Vista off microsoft.com, and then just using the key on the sticker on the side of the computer? Or trying to get it to use the recovery partition somehow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement