I have an 3G and a 3Gs
Both never been unlocked or jailbroken
Both at 3.0 firmware
Both 04.26.08 modem firmware
What combinations of programs updates do I need to run to preserve the future ability to unlock? I don't care about jailbreaks, did it several times on my older iPhones and found little benefit. I just want to be able to unlock the phones in the future in case I decide to sell them whenever we upgrade next.
From reading around it looks like I need to do this:
-Jailbreak 3.0 and install cydia using redsnow (phones are jailbroken)
-run ultrasnow from cydia (phone is now unlocked)
-make new 3.1.2 ipsw using pwnage tool and not updating baseband
-shift+restore through itunes with new ipsw
Am I doing this correct? I used to jailbreak/unlock all the time and have bros/sisters running 3 of my old phones on tmobile so I know how to do this just haven't kept up with all the names of the new programs and crap.
i haven't done the jailbreak with pwnage tool, and i haven't done the new 3.1.2 just yet, but from what i understand, you do the following: (for windows)
1. download the 3.1.2 ispw (click here to download the firmware: http://www.redmondpie.com/download-t...-3.1.2-aga809/
2. download blackrain (click here to download blackrain http://blackra1n.com/
3. connect your iphone and open itunes
4. press "shift" and click "restore"
5. select the 3.1.2 ispw that you downloaded and restore this firmware to your phone.
6. after the restore is complete (leaving your iphone connected), close itunes, open blackrain and click "make it rain" when it pops up.
7. when it's done (after installation of blackrain and your iphone restarts) it will give a pop up saying that it's done. unplug your iphone from the computer and open the new app on the iphone titled "blackrain"
8. when you open blackrain on your iphone, it gives you the option to download cydia, icy, and rock...select the one(s) that you want and select "install"
once they're installed, you're done...
**note: if you're using windows vista, when you get to step 7, instead of "double clicking" blackrain, right click it and select "run as administrator" or something similar, and it will load fine. some people were having issues if they didn't do that.