domain profile migrations? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
fuckcanada

domain profile migrations?

hey quick question out there to anyone who has experience in this.

whats the most efficient way to migrate someone's ad/profile from one workstation to another? I have a few workstation upgrades that i'm working on and the company i'm doing this for is using local profiles with nothing stored on the server except for exchange .pst's which i'm not too worried about.

where i'm getting stuck is doing the physical migration of their profile off their current machine and onto their new one with the least amount of downtime possible.

I don't have after hours access to this client, so i'm stuck doing what I can during regular business hours and using transwiz (which sucks balls imo) takes a good 20~30 minutes to zip and another 20~30 to transfer and unpack.

I mean it works when its just one or two upgrades and I can usually get them moved over by the time the end user is at lunch, but I don't see this as a viable solution when I have ten more upgrades that need to be pushed out in one day.

I'm only scheduled to be at this client for one day outta the week, but i'm here from 7~7 and on top of the other things i'm doing here, profile migrations are fucking ass.

End Users are running xp/sp2 with ie6 (their homebuilt webapps don't run on ie7~8/mozilla) with the servers being all virtualized running server 08.

Its a fairly small company, but i'll be upgrading another 50ish users by the end of october and I really want to hash out a better profile migration plan.

any ideas? hints/advice/etc..

thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 05:02 PM
He's no good to me dead.

Is there a reason to migrate the profile, other than saving settings and file locations?

Are they on the same domain? If so, I would enable roaming profiles and be done with it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobba Fett View Post
Is there a reason to migrate the profile, other than saving settings and file locations?

Are they on the same domain? If so, I would enable roaming profiles and be done with it.
they want to shy away from using roaming profiles, as alot of them work outside of work. its something I suggested but its not what they want to do, not much when I can do when their it admin says "no"

well not only would the migration save settings/locations but it would move their actual documents over which would have to be done regardless (again, I wish I could just use roaming profiles and be done with it)

two domains, its one company but two seperate entity's

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 09:59 AM
He's no good to me dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
they want to shy away from using roaming profiles, as alot of them work outside of work. its something I suggested but its not what they want to do, not much when I can do when their it admin says "no"

well not only would the migration save settings/locations but it would move their actual documents over which would have to be done regardless (again, I wish I could just use roaming profiles and be done with it)

two domains, its one company but two seperate entity's
That sucks, that the admin wouldn't enable this, just to move the profiles, even if for a short period.

I think copying the user's profile is the only way. If I were in your shoes, maybe write a script that moves the profiles for you when the user logs into the domain. Then again, the script would do exactly what roaming profiles does, lol. Sounds like you have plenty of job security to fall back on in your workplace.

Good luck with the migration. I feel your pain. We are doing an exchange migration for our Central American offices from imail and doing away with PST files at the same time. Good stuff.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Lifer

Are the users moving to another machine or staying on the same ones?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up View Post
Are the users moving to another machine or staying on the same ones?
There are about ten that will move domains, the others are all gonna be on the same domain.

This is one of the only clients I have that limits us/me on what all we can do which makes it harder for me in the end to get the job done as I have to work around his do's and dont's regardless if it is the right thing to do.

I guess I could script it

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

you can't install like remote tools on each one and get it done after hours?

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 01:16 AM
El Camino

what about folder redirection for my docs?

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement