HDD Regenerator - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
dead

HDD Regenerator

anyone use this program?

i have a hard drive with a CRC error that i'm trying to repair. i started this program using hiren's boot disk late about 40 hours ago and it's just now at 7% completed. (160GB drive).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 07:19 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
anyone use this program?

i have a hard drive with a CRC error that i'm trying to repair. i started this program using hiren's boot disk late about 40 hours ago and it's just now at 7% completed. (160GB drive).
I have no idea what kind of program that is, but it sounds to me like it's resetting all of the sectors individually, that can take a damn long time. especially on a large volume drive.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:03 PM
duh...duh....duh

I keep it simple with HDD. As soon as they start spitting errors, I ease their workload, backup and replace. I've found the more I work them trying to fix them the worst they get.

Rarely do I see software apps fix hardware issues. Although technically CRC errors do not have to be a physical issue....they probably are due to some physical/hardware problem

My '03 Sold.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
I keep it simple with HDD. As soon as they start spitting errors, I ease their workload, backup and replace. I've found the more I work them trying to fix them the worst they get.

Rarely do I see software apps fix hardware issues. Although technically CRC errors do not have to be a physical issue....they probably are due to some physical/hardware problem
i completely agree and my attitude is to either reformat the drive if it will take it or get a new one ... BUT this was the primary drive in my dad's point of sale (pos) computer for his store. i left his computer running on the secondary drive for a temporary basis while i backed this drive up, try to fix the error, then image the drive.

as far i know, this computer was not setup in an array. the 2nd drive had the OS and the pos software installed as a backup probably for such an event and the database seemed to backup to the 2nd drive nightly which is what its running off now. (this should definitely should have been in a raid1 array, but it appears this pos software company loves shit to break to make money for servicing existing customers)

now i would happily reinstall everything but the pos software was installed by the vendor and i don't have the installable software so i'm feeling an image is the only way i can make this work.

my dad just called me a few mins ago and said the computer is having issues today then wouldn't boot. after restarting it posted up fine and it's working again. i'm strongly leaning to a hardware problem in the computer now but just need to narrow it down.

what hardware could be causing the problems? ram or mobo? i'm thinking it's the sata controller on the mobo.

i can take hirens over there. are there any tests for mobo or sata controller you recommend? how about the memory?

he said he thinks the computer has a virus, but that's pretty much what non computer folks say to anything.

thanks for any help.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:20 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
i completely agree and my attitude is to either reformat the drive if it will take it or get a new one ... BUT this was the primary drive in my dad's point of sale (pos) computer for his store. i left his computer running on the secondary drive for a temporary basis while i backed this drive up, try to fix the error, then image the drive.

as far i know, this computer was not setup in an array. the 2nd drive had the OS and the pos software installed as a backup probably for such an event and the database seemed to backup to the 2nd drive nightly which is what its running off now. (this should definitely should have been in a raid1 array, but it appears this pos software company loves shit to break to make money for servicing existing customers)

now i would happily reinstall everything but the pos software was installed by the vendor and i don't have the installable software so i'm feeling an image is the only way i can make this work.

my dad just called me a few mins ago and said the computer is having issues today then wouldn't boot. after restarting it posted up fine and it's working again. i'm strongly leaning to a hardware problem in the computer now but just need to narrow it down.

what hardware could be causing the problems? ram or mobo? i'm thinking it's the sata controller on the mobo.

i can take hirens over there. are there any tests for mobo or sata controller you recommend? how about the memory?

he said he thinks the computer has a virus, but that's pretty much what non computer folks say to anything.

thanks for any help.
It could very well be memory issues. Data is cached in memory and processed, what is written to the drive is data from memory. I have seen instances where memory faults have caused unrecognizable or corrupt data. However, usually when memory becomes degraded to such a level that it is corrupting data you also see it accompanied with blue screens, hardware problems, and general stability issues - which you seem to be describing.

To test memory you want to use a boot disc of memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) it is the standard. As for the hard drive controller, that is more difficult to determine, especially if it is an intermittent issue with bus load. I would ask your father if the computer has ever stopped responding when it is under heavy load (finalizing a database, compiling or querying data). It could also be the memory controller, or a number of other ancillary components. Unfortunately, as I'm sure you're probably aware, if it does turn out to be a memory issue, or sata controller - it's quite possible that the data on the drive is completely corrupted - unusable - hopefully this is a new problem and might only affect recently written data.

I would also load test the computer to perform a general stability test and address other possible problems (power supply can be symptomatic of not responding or sudden restarts). I would suggest Orthos Prime95 (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html) - this will let you test the overall stability of the computer - whereas memtest removes itself from windows and any possible driver conflicts, this program tests in the real environment.

And lastly, you definately don't want to omit testing the harddrive's physical integrity itself. Check for bad sectors/clusters - I've seen some very odd issues stemming from harddrives - you don't have to drop, bang, or subject a platter to g-forces to have a physical error.

But, when it comes to customer data - business systems - I always suggest to a customer to immediately backup, and transfer to new hardware - data is something that can not be replaced.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Hirens has the memtest on it along with 3 other memory testers.

go buy a new drive and clone the old one.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:28 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x View Post
Hirens has the memtest on it along with 3 other memory testers.

go buy a new drive and clone the old one.
yes, memtest86 is on hiren's bootcd. Obviously backup the image as soon as possible, but it's not necessarily the hard drive, it could very well be something else.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
yes, memtest86 is on hiren's bootcd. Obviously backup the image as soon as possible, but it's not necessarily the hard drive, it could very well be something else.
Could be other hardware. What does your dad own like a auto shop or something? Usually what ive seen is the HD fail before memory goes corrupt. is a pre made machine? blown caps? what brand is the harddrive.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:36 PM
CJ

Quote:
Could be other hardware. What does your dad own like a auto shop or something? Usually what ive seen is the HD fail before memory goes corrupt. is a pre made machine? blown caps? what brand is the harddrive.
Honestly, in my experience it depends on the type of server it is, what exactly it's primary purpose is - high cpu loads I would suspect memory or controller issues, high harddrive activity (web server, etc) I'd suspect hard drives. But from what I've delt with, it's usually memory or controller issues. I've had customers constantly blame harddrives, but I've only found that to be the culprit a handful of times. In my own system, I've had 4 consecutive sets of Crucial ram be damaged, the first set, and all 3 RMA'ed replacement sets.

But yeah, like hunt said - listen for caps singing... high pitched high frequency noises or squeals - sometimes they are very faint.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
Honestly, in my experience it depends on the type of server it is, what exactly it's primary purpose is - high cpu loads I would suspect memory or controller issues, high harddrive activity (web server, etc) I'd suspect hard drives. But from what I've delt with, it's usually memory or controller issues. I've had customers constantly blame harddrives, but I've only found that to be the culprit a handful of times. In my own system, I've had 4 consecutive sets of Crucial ram be damaged, the first set, and all 3 RMA'ed replacement sets.
i don't think its a server, just off the shelf pos(point of sale, not piece of shit) system.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:41 PM
CJ

Quote:
i don't think its a server, just off the shelf pos(point of sale, not piece of shit) system.
It'll have to be tested, but if it's a desktop case with the psu supplying the exhaust it's probably heat related.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
dead

thanks for all the replies.

my dad's business is a church's chicken. he franchises a couple of them.

the computer is an off the shelf parts budget build. an f-n intel celery processor, gig of ram, dual 160 gb hds. the only thing that's good about it, is the computer isnt under much stress, it simply serves 2 touchscreen terminals

Wand is the maker of the software, they kinda sell it with hardware as a package along with their integration package. my dad bought 2 complete Wand setups in the last 2-3 years, each costing an arm and a leg.

after sitting with the computer for a while sunday, i was disgusted at the corners the company cut. hardware for one, but as a developer, i can say this software is not nearly good enough to be charging 15K for.

so the plan is go pull the other drive, back it up again then image the drive. ill go ahead and lef the primary continues to "regenerate" for the next week at this pace, hopefully that drive will get it's bad sectors sorted out.

i suppose i can run memtest cause id like to know the problem for sure but at this point the mobo and memory are suspect and i hate celery processors so i might just want to replace those core components and throw 2 new freshly imaged drives in a raid 1 array with an external drive as a backup.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:49 AM
duh...duh....duh

Sounds like you have a plan and it certainly won't hurt to run other tests just to be sure there is not other serious issues. With that said, damn I had desktop work.

Any chance of him getting extended warranties in the future? They are not always cheap, but how much money does he lose if one/both of them totally fail him?

My '03 Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement