Need a new video card, whats the best bang/buck? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Need a new video card, whats the best bang/buck?

I need a new video card, I am running with just the onboard 128mb video card and I want to play some games. I want to spend as little as possible, but I want to get a video card that wont have any trouble with games like Test Drive Unlimited or Need For Speed Shift. The computer is a Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz with 3.0gb of RAM.

Thanks.

Oh, and links to websites with the best pricing would also be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Lifer

How much money is as little as possible? What is your max price?

edit: I'm on a dual core 2.2ghz w/ 3 gigs of RAM and I have a Radeon HD 4830. You'll probably want something on this list with a score of 1,200 or higher to run Medium/Some low. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Last edited by deso; 09-25-2009 at 12:16 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

thanks for the list, that is helpful, which one on the list over 1200 is the cheapest

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Time Served

Voodoo 2

hottest card of the 2000's

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dville_gt View Post
thanks for the list, that is helpful, which one on the list over 1200 is the cheapest
Well do you have AGP, PCI, or PCI-E? I'm guessing you have a PCI-E slot as it is a dual core PC.

edit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161273

Last edited by deso; 09-25-2009 at 02:55 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 02:57 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dville_gt View Post
I need a new video card, I am running with just the onboard 128mb video card and I want to play some games. I want to spend as little as possible, but I want to get a video card that wont have any trouble with games like Test Drive Unlimited or Need For Speed Shift. The computer is a Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz with 3.0gb of RAM.

Thanks.

Oh, and links to websites with the best pricing would also be appreciated.

Well, the processor is a little bit on the weak end of the spectrum honestly.. but you have decent ram. Here is what I would suggest you do. First thing is you're going to need more power to take advantage of ANY video card you buy, your processor will be a bottle neck. You can pickup cheap used dual cores off enthusiast websites like hardforum.com for cheap. I would first find out what motherboard you have, and see what it supports, how fast of a processor you can get. I would expect you could find a decent dual core for 60 bucks or so, and it's definately worth the money - I actually have an E6600 for sale. Since you're running a dual core, you should have a PCI-E motherboard almost certainly.

Right now video cards are at a lull, primarily because DX11 is launching with Windows7, and no one has a DX11 card out right now, so you're basically buying up the old stock of the DX10 cards. Good cards for the money with your setup would be a Geforce 8800 GTS (640mb minimum), GTX (768), or an ATI 4850 - these are all good cards, and should be reasonable. The 4850 is the most recent generation of that set of cards, it's also an ATI card vs. an nvidia. However, with all good news comes disappointment - You need to remember these newer video cards take a lot of power to run. An 8800 series for instance takes 2 different 12v power connections which need to have a high voltage rail from your power supply. I ran my old E6600 system with an 8800 and it simply wouldn't run with a 600watt PSU, had to upgrade to an 850. I would take that into consideration - that new video card might cause insufficient power problems.

I run NFS shift on my quadcore AMD Phenum 965 black with an 8800GTX, everything maxed out with 8x anti-aliasing at 1920x1080 - so that's ludicrous detail and resolution and it runs very smooth - so even a higher end 8 series nvidia card will fill every bit of your needs.

Last edited by CJ; 09-25-2009 at 03:02 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
The 4850 is the most recent generation of that set of cards, it's also an ATI card vs. an nvidia.
I would suggest getting a 4830 for a few bucks cheaper if he went this route as a friend of mine has the 4850 and it is BARELY better than mine.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 03:13 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
I would suggest getting a 4830 for a few bucks cheaper if he went this route as a friend of mine has the 4850 and it is BARELY better than mine.
probably a good recommendation seeing as I'm not exactly sure if even a higher end dual core would take advantage of the increase in speed.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Lifer

I run a ATI 3870 X2...I never have any problems with mine! I also run a 2.4 quad core with 4 gigs of RAM...I love my setup!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
Well, the processor is a little bit on the weak end of the spectrum honestly.. but you have decent ram. Here is what I would suggest you do. First thing is you're going to need more power to take advantage of ANY video card you buy, your processor will be a bottle neck. You can pickup cheap used dual cores off enthusiast websites like hardforum.com for cheap. I would first find out what motherboard you have, and see what it supports, how fast of a processor you can get. I would expect you could find a decent dual core for 60 bucks or so, and it's definately worth the money - I actually have an E6600 for sale. Since you're running a dual core, you should have a PCI-E motherboard almost certainly.

Right now video cards are at a lull, primarily because DX11 is launching with Windows7, and no one has a DX11 card out right now, so you're basically buying up the old stock of the DX10 cards. Good cards for the money with your setup would be a Geforce 8800 GTS (640mb minimum), GTX (768), or an ATI 4850 - these are all good cards, and should be reasonable. The 4850 is the most recent generation of that set of cards, it's also an ATI card vs. an nvidia. However, with all good news comes disappointment - You need to remember these newer video cards take a lot of power to run. An 8800 series for instance takes 2 different 12v power connections which need to have a high voltage rail from your power supply. I ran my old E6600 system with an 8800 and it simply wouldn't run with a 600watt PSU, had to upgrade to an 850. I would take that into consideration - that new video card might cause insufficient power problems.

I run NFS shift on my quadcore AMD Phenum 965 black with an 8800GTX, everything maxed out with 8x anti-aliasing at 1920x1080 - so that's ludicrous detail and resolution and it runs very smooth - so even a higher end 8 series nvidia card will fill every bit of your needs.
What are the specs on your processor (how much faster is it then the e2200?)and how much would you want for it? Also, could you point me in a direction to find a good quality video card for my setup. I saw someone else linked one at newegg is that a decent deal?

I really appreciate your help, I want to get this box running good, I've just been out of the loop for a while.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Lifer

CJ is correct though if you're wanting to upgrade you might as well do both. They go hand in hand and will bottle neck which my pc does somewhat.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 01:05 AM
El Camino

I've got an e2200 that was once a gaming pc but moved it to my htpc. Overclocked the e2200 gets a little better.

I run a q9400 quad w/8gb ram and an 8800gt 512mb off a 550w. Its not really total watts its the amps on the 12V rails. Dual 12V rails is usually better.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement