Computer does not turn on anymore. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid

Computer does not turn on anymore.

The other day I spilt dp on my keyboard and ruined it. So I have not been on my computer for a few days because I don't have a keyboard. So tonight I was going to get on and just surf the web or attempt to. I went to hit the power switch, and damn nothing happens. So I check to maken sure I did not kick the plug and unplug it and wow, I found that somehow dp leaked off the back of the desk and onto the powerstrip/surge protecter. All other gadgets on the strip work. My
monitar, ps2 and surround sound. But the dp spillage was right where the power supply cord plugs into. So I unplug the strip and try plugging the pc cord straight into the wall, no help sum bitch still not turning on. I even tried another cord.. Yep still
dead.

I have narrowed it down to two things the motherfucker board. Or the power supply. I am more so leaning to the mother board. Because my last mother board was taken out in a storm and this is what happen...

How do I test the power supply? This is then only pc in the house everything else is lapflops.

Any suggestions on a new mb for around 100 big ones?

Right now I have a gigabit that has 8gb max ram i think, several Sata drive ports, IDE ports, on board sound.. And one pci e. I enjoyed it. Now it died. I guess it decided to take a shit on me before I had the money for a nvidia mb.

91 Coupe, off road h, underdrive pulleys, short belt with a/c, electric fans and 3.73s. 3060lbs. Daily driven 20mpg average.

All stock 91 coupe. Stang' Bangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I just want to smoke weed, be naked, and play video games.That is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 07:42 AM
Time Served

Does the fan come on the power supply? If it does that means it is the motherboard.

If the fan doesn't come on then it still could be either.

Also check that the power switch on the back of the power supply is on and that it is set to the correct voltage. These are most likely already correct but always worth checking the easy stuff first.

To test the power supply you can short two of the pins on the ATX connector to get the supply to kick on. I just wouldn't run it very long at all. Just unplug the PSU from the wall, short the two pins (don't remember which ones you will have to look it up) and then plug it into the wall very briefly to see if it turns on.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid

so check this, i just for shits and grins tried to turn it on, and ill be damned it turned on. So i turned it off, and plugged everything back in, monitor ect.. Went to turn it on, it had a delay in the switch before it kicked on. Then after being on for about a second it switched off, then paused then turned on again..repeated this 3 or 4 times. The final cycle it just stayed on and booted up fine. I turned it on and off 3 times and it now has no issues at all.

What the hell?

91 Coupe, off road h, underdrive pulleys, short belt with a/c, electric fans and 3.73s. 3060lbs. Daily driven 20mpg average.

Quote:

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Lifer

Weird?!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid

So I get in from class tonight. Went to turn it on. And I'll be damned. It's dead again. Lol... From how it booted up and ran fine today. I'm assuming its the power supply took a shit in life. I'll be going to frys to pick one up tomorrow.

Quote:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Lifer

Heres a thought....don't spill DP on your computer

Did you replace the keyboard? Have you taken the tower apart to attempt cleaning up the remainder of the soft drink? Soft drinks or any other liquid really don't mix too well with electronic devices like computers. If it spilled into the power supply while it was plugged in...honestly your lucky it didn't blow up and trip the breaker or worse shock you.

FUCK Canada
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid

It just spilled on the keyboard. My tower sets ontop of my desk, so no dp got on the computer itself. Just ruined to keyboard and somehow leaked onto the power strip where I plug things in at. I'm thinking that shorted out the cord that runs from
power supply to powerstrip. Causes it to short the power supply out. It was odd because it was not working, starting working but wa cutting in and out, then was working fine, to now not working at all again. At first I thought maybe the motherboard took a dive, but seeing how it booted up and ran fine when it started working again I don't think the mb was effected. So hopefully it's the powersupply. We will find out tomorrow.

If that is full of mistakes, I am sorry typing on this iPhone is kinda iffy.

Quote:
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid

replaced the powersuppy and all is working good so far..

Quote:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxBodyMike View Post
replaced the powersuppy and all is working good so far..
I think you just jinxed yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement