good reasonable printers around? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

good reasonable printers around?

I only need a couple small things printed but the quotes I'm getting are pretty high. anyone recomend a printer that does good work? I am near denton but would be willing to travel most places in the area. one is 20x26" and the other is like 24x35. they both just need some kind of hard backing whether its plastic, foam board, or whatever.

the place I use I guess the guys left so they are quoting more than double what he usually would.

-04 CTS-V
-10 Jeep Commander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Lifer

If you are only looking for a single print of 2 items you will need to find a printer with some digital equipment that can do a print that size. Almost everyone can as 35" is on the smaller format size.

Digital flatbed presses can print directly onto the foam board. Some digital presses would need to print onto pressure sensitive vinyl and then laminate to the foam board or laminate first and then print onto the vinyl.

60 pt. styrene would make a good backing board to laminate to if using the ps vinyl or the styrene can be printed directly onto.....depending on the gloss of finish desired.

You don't state the intended purpose for these prints so I cannot guide you any further than this. There is a big difference in quality from the different machines / processes which will create large differences in price from one vendor to the next. It is important to know the end use in order to know what to quote you for the job.

It is also important to know whether or not you are supplying files ready to print or not. Most people think their supplied files are ready for printing but in reality they are not and require some work before being able to print with them on modern digital printing equipment. This can add significant cost to your project. The quality of the incoming file directly corresponds to the quality of the end piece.

<----------has worked for large printing companies for 20+ years.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Every day is.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow84lx View Post

<----------has worked for large printing companies for 20+ years.
Digital I assume!? Any offset?

BTW - that was some good (and detailed) info.

David

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Lifer

Funny I find this post on here.... I need a printer too... except I have about 10,000 copies I need done. And for free too! (Non-Profit Charity) If anyone can help, please pm me.

/hijack

Daniel's RV-7:

Empenage - Done
Wings - 98.5% Done
Fuselage - Bulkheads...

http://www.danielhv.com
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajet69 View Post
Digital I assume!? Any offset?

BTW - that was some good (and detailed) info.

David
There were no digital presses around until about 10 years ago.....at least they weren't very common.

I was an offset press operator for about 17 years. Some sheetfed small to medium format, mostly web press operator, 4-8 units high speed 38"-72" format. I've printed catalogs, magazines, books, and junk mail.

For the last 5 years or so I've been in charge of Quality Control and Materials Testing. I've learned a lot about UV Sheetfed, UV Screen, UV Digital, Conventional Digital, Flexo, plastic stocks for all printing methods, and various bindery / finishing methods.

What about you, David? Are you an offset printer? If so, we may have met at some time.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
There were no digital presses around until about 10 years ago.....at least they weren't very common.

I was an offset press operator for about 17 years. Some sheetfed small to medium format, mostly web press operator, 4-8 units high speed 38"-72" format. I've printed catalogs, magazines, books, and junk mail.

For the last 5 years or so I've been in charge of Quality Control and Materials Testing. I've learned a lot about UV Sheetfed, UV Screen, UV Digital, Conventional Digital, Flexo, plastic stocks for all printing methods, and various bindery / finishing methods.

What about you, David? Are you an offset printer? If so, we may have met at some time.
Not a printer, but the company I work for builds web offset (some intaglio) and flexo presses, as well as collators and currency examination machines. Our biggest customers are in packaging and check & securities printing. Lot's of business form printers too.

We could have met in Chicago if you ever go to the show there.

David
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Not a printer, but the company I work for builds web offset (some intaglio) and flexo presses, as well as collators and currency examination machines. Our biggest customers are in packaging and check & securities printing. Lot's of business form printers too.

We could have met in Chicago if you ever go to the show there.

David
I've never been to the Chicago show. I've been to the one in Atlanta several times when I lived there. I believe it is going on this week. My boss and the owner will be there Tuesday to look at at few things.

I've always been interested in all kinds of machinery. It sounds like you have an interesting job.

Jonathan
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I've never been to the Chicago show. I've been to the one in Atlanta several times when I lived there. I believe it is going on this week. My boss and the owner will be there Tuesday to look at at few things.

I've always been interested in all kinds of machinery. It sounds like you have an interesting job.

Jonathan
Interesting for sure. I love what I do (account manager) but wish the industry was in better shape.

BTW - do you know Vince & Donna? They have the same "Non Mustang" hobby as you.

David
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:24 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Interesting for sure. I love what I do (account manager) but wish the industry was in better shape.

BTW - do you know Vince & Donna? They have the same "Non Mustang" hobby as you.

David

The industry seems to be picking up a bit lately so I hope that we are beginning an upward curve now. It has been bad for the last 12 months or so.

Vince & Donna? I can't recall right off hand. Last name? There are lots of people in that non-mustang hobby whose last names I do not know but have seen for years. I do know a Gene & Donna who are instructors at a local country bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement