FML: Internet Connection - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

FML: Internet Connection

Well either my ATT connection at home is down or they disconnected my service 14 days earlier than I asked. After 45 minutes and 2 disconnects later I said fuck it, i'll go work from my parents.

It took roughly 4 minutes to get to where I am posting this thread. ATT basic DSL, ridiculous.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Lifer

damn thats horrible! Thats what my phone gets on shitty 3g lol
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Lifer

I don't know which AT&T DSL I have(pretty sure its basic), but it is way better than that. Something is really not right with that setup.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Lifer

Yep there is a big issue obviously but if they disco'd it before the due date you wouldnt even be able to sync up and be able to get on speedtest.net. I would bet there is a fault on the line somewhere and its just coincidence that your tuning it off in a couple weeks.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
damn thats horrible! Thats what my phone gets on shitty 3g lol
I just got a 2.23 Mbps on the iPhone using 3g, way faster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
I don't know which AT&T DSL I have(pretty sure its basic), but it is way better than that. Something is really not right with that setup.
There not much that could go wrong on my end at least, the PC is hardwired directly to the modem. Maybe I should bring my DSL modem over here and test it out to see if it helps.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
Yep there is a big issue obviously but if they disco'd it before the due date you wouldnt even be able to sync up and be able to get on speedtest.net. I would bet there is a fault on the line somewhere and its just coincidence that your tuning it off in a couple weeks.
My ATT DSL is fully down at my apartment. I couldn't get an answer as to if they disconnected it early, or if it's down. I got disconnected from their helpdesk a couple times and I got pissed.

I'm at my parent's house where they also have ATT DSL. I'm just complaining about speed. I suppose they get what they pay for, but hell, I can't even connect to most things I need for work. Ex. Lotus Notes server
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
My ATT DSL is fully down at my apartment. I couldn't get an answer as to if they disconnected it early, or if it's down. I got disconnected from their helpdesk a couple times and I got pissed.

I'm at my parent's house where they also have ATT DSL. I'm just complaining about speed. I suppose they get what they pay for, but hell, I can't even connect to most things I need for work. Ex. Lotus Notes server
That's what we have and our speeds are much better than that..

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Lifer

I am saying something isn't right with your parents connection. Either at the modem, or your pc communicating with the modem. Are you running WIFI at your parents house or hardwire? I would reboot the modem and see if that helps.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
That's what we have and our speeds are much better than that..
I just checked the ATT site and this basic package is rated at:

Downstream Speed: Up to 768 Kbps
Upstream Speed: Up to 384 Kbps

So I guess i'm not too far off from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
I am saying something isn't right with your parents connection. Either at the modem, or your pc communicating with the modem. Are you running WIFI at your parents house or hardwire? I would reboot the modem and see if that helps.
Understood. They have had line issues on the ATT side, but they were fixed.

The modem is older... tomorrow i'll bring my modem in which I know works normally over to test.

The PC i'm on is my work laptop... have no issues anywhere else with it.

No WIFI, I am connected directly to the modem, only one PC. Already reset the modem too.

I had my mom call ATT and they only offer "Pro" at this location, which is 3Mbps. I'm not to satisfied with that number, but I think ATT is the only provider here.

Edit: took 1 minute and 23 seconds to fully load this page
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Lifer

I would do what your saying and take your modem. Something hardware related is wrong.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
I just checked the ATT site and this basic package is rated at:

Downstream Speed: Up to 768 Kbps
Upstream Speed: Up to 384 Kbps

So I guess i'm not too far off from that.
We must not have the basic package. Ours isn't super fast, don't get me wrong, I want to say it is about double that last I checked.

I miss cable and downloads up to 7 or 8 mbps, just wasn't worth the money they charge.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Brought my modem over.

Speedtest shows the same speeds with both modems. On my laptop it is still very slow loading pages.

I hooked up the same line to my parent's desktop and the sites are loading MUCH MUCH faster.

I didn't have any issues with my laptop yesterday, so i'm unsure where the issue lays. Hmm
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Back on my laptop now and the issue seems to have cleared. I didn't even change any settings.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 11:48 PM
duh...duh....duh

lemme know when we start bragging about our bandwidth at our houses and post test results from ISPs and stuff....

My '03 Sold.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
lemme know when we start bragging about our bandwidth at our houses and post test results from ISPs and stuff....
Pfft I know you're a network guru. I also know this is a wide open question, but is there any way to improve my network with adjusting modem / router settings? Does changing firmware help? If so I'll find myself some docs to go over.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Colorado Dreamin'

Well my download is better but upload is about the same.. Luckily I don't upload much.

90 Bronco

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 08:52 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Pfft I know you're a network guru. I also know this is a wide open question, but is there any way to improve my network with adjusting modem / router settings? Does changing firmware help? If so I'll find myself some docs to go over.
In general firmware upgrades are always encouraged from my point of view.

Past that, ya know there are tweaks and all that crap. From a personal Internet usage point of view I've found that it is never worth the hassle from a performance point of view. Hell, at the house I have 25/15 and get 26/14. Could I tweak something or do something to maybe improve on that? Prolly, but if you have 25/15 or 1/1 it really won't make much of a difference.

There are plenty of scenarios and equipment that makes a huge difference, but those are for corporations. For homes, just simple keep shit up to date - don't allow a lot of network intensive programs go while you're trying to work and hell - bandwidth is cheap...upgrade.

My '03 Sold.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
In general firmware upgrades are always encouraged from my point of view.

Past that, ya know there are tweaks and all that crap. From a personal Internet usage point of view I've found that it is never worth the hassle from a performance point of view. Hell, at the house I have 25/15 and get 26/14. Could I tweak something or do something to maybe improve on that? Prolly, but if you have 25/15 or 1/1 it really won't make much of a difference.

There are plenty of scenarios and equipment that makes a huge difference, but those are for corporations. For homes, just simple keep shit up to date - don't allow a lot of network intensive programs go while you're trying to work and hell - bandwidth is cheap...upgrade.
I will read into the firmware upgrades! I wish I could upgrade, AT&T owns the lines here, on top of that they only offer the 3 Mbps here. At my apartment I paid 5 bucks more for double the speed.

Checking now for time Warner and the other cable guys.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 01:49 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
I will read into the firmware upgrades! I wish I could upgrade, AT&T owns the lines here, on top of that they only offer the 3 Mbps here. At my apartment I paid 5 bucks more for double the speed.

Checking now for time Warner and the other cable guys.
No uverse?

My '03 Sold.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
No uverse?
I don't need the phone or the TV, free cable here, another reason we're leary with going with a cable company. They may figure it out lol
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Lifer

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Colorado Dreamin'

I was in an apartment for a few months when I was getting my divorce and they had free basic cable included. I was able to get the cable company to add internet for just the internet cost. Or are you not supposed to get free cable.

90 Bronco

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 01:46 PM
is chilaxing

skidmark....if you're still having issues, just pm me your # and I can look at tomorrow when I go in....work on labor day...FTMFL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement