Wireless or hardwired? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
poopnut2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Fence
Posts: 20,196
Wireless or hardwired?

How do you have your console systems set up? Playing CoD5 on PS3 through a wireless connection here and it's crazy how when you watch a kill cam after being killed how much different it is and I've heard it's due to poor connections. I've literally put a clip in somebody's back before and it not kill them. I've knifed people before...it makes the sound, you see the blood squirt up, and it not kill them.

My roommate today said he was squatting down, shooting, and got shot. The kill cam showed him running?
poopnut2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
I believe you're best off going hard wired w/ consoles.





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:28 AM
Lifer
 
mstng86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Forney, TX
Posts: 7,612
Hard wire really negates any wireless complications. But it sucks running a cat 5 around the house.
mstng86 is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
poopnut2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Fence
Posts: 20,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
Hard wire really negates any wireless complications. But it sucks running a cat 5 around the house.
We're about to put up a home theater system and are thinking of running a cat5 through the wall and down into the living room while doing it. A buddy of ours has a roll of cat5 wire he's willing to lend us. I'm just tired of getting jewed out of kills.
poopnut2 is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:53 AM
Lifer
 
mstng86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Forney, TX
Posts: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
We're about to put up a home theater system and are thinking of running a cat5 through the wall and down into the living room while doing it. A buddy of ours has a roll of cat5 wire he's willing to lend us. I'm just tired of getting jewed out of kills.
I hate running lines through walls. PITA. But it's is the right thing to do if your looking for a permanent setup.
mstng86 is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
poopnut2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Fence
Posts: 20,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
I hate running lines through walls. PITA. But it's is the right thing to do if your looking for a permanent setup.

It's his house he bought so I'm thinking he plans on being here a while. His buddy sets up commercial audio for a living so with his help it should be pretty easy.
poopnut2 is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 01:03 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lowell Arkansas
Posts: 1,100
I'm getting ready to prewire my house but I'm gonna use cat6e cable so technology wont out grow cat5e...

bmxerbrett is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Lifer
 
deso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Arlington
Posts: 1,124
Wireless is horrible! I know Xbox 360's don't like being on wireless either.
deso is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Lifer
 
greenrebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: DFW
Posts: 4,291
I've gotten bitched at plenty of times on COD4 on xbox360 for using a wireless. It only matters to the other players when you're the host, but it definitely makes a difference in the game when hardwired
greenrebel is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 01:14 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy
 
stinginstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,644
has anyone tried a powerline modem?
stinginstang is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Ide fuck her in the ass..
 
Da Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CrooKed I muthafucker!
Posts: 42,924
ive got my ps3 hard wired...




WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Da Prez is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Lifer
 
Lason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: arlington
Posts: 11,144
I got the 360 hard wired and PS3 on wireless. I would have hardwired the PS3 as well but I ran out of ethernet ports on my router. I dont notice any lag though so Im not sweating it.
Lason is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:40 AM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
With a proper cable, speed/negotiation settings and decent hardware a wired connection will ALWAYS - ALWAYS out perform a wireless connection from every angle except ease of setup.

From a LAN point of view, 802.11N can theoretically outperform fast ethernet. In reality that is simply not the case. Especially since these days gigabit ethernet is becoming an easy reality.

However, for the purpose of Internet gaming that is fairly unimportant since most people have 5-25Mbps Internet connections. So the SPEED of wireless won't be the major issue. Wireless issues..

-Consistency of speed
-Reliability
-Initially getting speed that maximizes your Internet connection

I see a couple of posts saying wireless will introduce lag aka latency. While it will, this number or percentage is NOTHING to sweat. Day after day corporate wireless networks support huge amounts of VoIP phones. The only ways latency would pose a problem from wireless...

1. Piss poor setup/administration by the owner. (you)
2. Way too many device connected to a single AP. For a standard consumer AP, I could see it handling 10 or so without issues. High end APs do 20-30, so I think 10 is conservative for home APs.
3. The bandwidth available from an AP is getting utilized. i.e. you're doing file transfers on your LAN to/from a laptop using an AP and there is little to no bandwidth for gaming. In this scenario a wired connection would bypass the AP and help.
4. You have torrents or some other application/task sucking up your Internet bandwidth. In this case nothing would help since the Internet connection is the choke point.

Personally I have a simple 802.11g connection from my XBOX and I've used Netflix and their VOD/Rentals w/o any problems. I also stream videos all the time without issues. I'd PREFER a wired connection, but like most people I use wireless for the ease of setup.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
With a proper cable, speed/negotiation settings and decent hardware a wired connection will ALWAYS - ALWAYS out perform a wireless connection from every angle except ease of setup.

From a LAN point of view, 802.11N can theoretically outperform fast ethernet. In reality that is simply not the case. Especially since these days gigabit ethernet is becoming an easy reality.

However, for the purpose of Internet gaming that is fairly unimportant since most people have 5-25Mbps Internet connections. So the SPEED of wireless won't be the major issue. Wireless issues..

-Consistency of speed
-Reliability
-Initially getting speed that maximizes your Internet connection

I see a couple of posts saying wireless will introduce lag aka latency. While it will, this number or percentage is NOTHING to sweat. Day after day corporate wireless networks support huge amounts of VoIP phones. The only ways latency would pose a problem from wireless...

1. Piss poor setup/administration by the owner. (you)
2. Way too many device connected to a single AP. For a standard consumer AP, I could see it handling 10 or so without issues. High end APs do 20-30, so I think 10 is conservative for home APs.
3. The bandwidth available from an AP is getting utilized. i.e. you're doing file transfers on your LAN to/from a laptop using an AP and there is little to no bandwidth for gaming. In this scenario a wired connection would bypass the AP and help.
4. You have torrents or some other application/task sucking up your Internet bandwidth. In this case nothing would help since the Internet connection is the choke point.

Personally I have a simple 802.11g connection from my XBOX and I've used Netflix and their VOD/Rentals w/o any problems. I also stream videos all the time without issues. I'd PREFER a wired connection, but like most people I use wireless for the ease of setup.

Take care,

Bullshit lies.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Lifer
 
mstng86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Forney, TX
Posts: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x View Post
Bullshit lies.
LMAO, no reason to give an argument. Just make a general statement.
mstng86 is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:14 PM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
LMAO, no reason to give an argument. Just make a general statement.
I'm thinking he forgot his sarcasm indicator.

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Lifer
 
mstng86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Forney, TX
Posts: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
I'm thinking he forgot his sarcasm indicator.
I know, I should have also used sarcasm font.
mstng86 is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:24 PM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
I know, I should have also used sarcasm font.
For the record, I was not being sarcastic.

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 02:52 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
For the record, I was not being sarcastic.
i detected your sarcastic font.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome