using a phones internet on PC - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid

using a phones internet on PC

I live in a area where High speed interwebs is not available. I have the option of satellite but always passed on it because i figure when it gets cloudy i wont have internet. So today i purchased an Iphone, its fucking legit. So I sit here trying to download 74mb iTunes at 5kb/sec, and it is hell.

I heard from some people that you can use the 3g internet from your phone and use it for internet on your pc or laptop.. Any truth to this?, and if so, how the hell do you do it?

TIA

91 Coupe, off road h, underdrive pulleys, short belt with a/c, electric fans and 3.73s. 3060lbs. Daily driven 20mpg average.

All stock 91 coupe. Stang' Bangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I just want to smoke weed, be naked, and play video games.That is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 05:13 AM
Adrenaline is my ABS.

Yea just google or get on YouTube and search for iPhone Internet tethering, you might be screwed if you have 3.1 not sure if you can hack it with that

1985 Mustang GT "MNM"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Colorado Dreamin'

Besides that, you should be able to access the itunes store from your phone directly, download it to your phone and then when you sync it will be on your computer.. Am I wrong?

I know my son downloads apps directly to his iTouch via wifi rather than on his computer..

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Besides that, you should be able to access the itunes store from your phone directly, download it to your phone and then when you sync it will be on your computer.. Am I wrong?

I know my son downloads apps directly to his iTouch via wifi rather than on his computer..
i was just told it was easier to download to your pc, so i would have i tunes on my pc. But i do think you are correct about downloading to your phone and then syncing to to your pc

91 Coupe, off road h, underdrive pulleys, short belt with a/c, electric fans and 3.73s. 3060lbs. Daily driven 20mpg average.

Quote:
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Lifer

You will have to download it to your PC to sync your phone to your computer... you can also buy apps either way (through the AppStore on your iPhone or through iTunes under Applications). I would go ahead and let iTunes download, then I'd jailbreak your phone and use Cydia to download PdaNet which is a tethering application. If you do the exploit shown on the YouTube vidoes and such you run the risk of loosing your visual voicemail as many people have complained of. PdaNet is an application specfically built to do this without effecting anything else. See my how-to jailbreak post in this forum.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:50 PM
Colorado Dreamin'

I misread the OP, I thought he was trying to download songs or apps or something to the PC, not the actual iTunes program itself. dville_gt is correct, you will need to get iTunes on the PC before you can start sync'ing..

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid

I ended up bumming my moms laptop with high speed card to download I tunes, saved setup file to a flash drive, and brought it to my pc on dial up.. This dial up shit has got to go, i cant wait to get out of here and get high speed.

I am interested in jailbreaking to phone, just not quite yet, i just got this thing and I'm still getting used to it.

Quote:
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxBodyMike View Post
I ended up bumming my moms laptop with high speed card to download I tunes, saved setup file to a flash drive, and brought it to my pc on dial up.. This dial up shit has got to go, i cant wait to get out of here and get high speed.

I am interested in jailbreaking to phone, just not quite yet, i just got this thing and I'm still getting used to it.
when 3.1 firmware comes out you might be too late:

Quote:
If you own a jailbroken iPhone 3GS or an unlocked iPhone 3G/3GS, do not update once the official 3.1 firmware update is out. The 3.1 update will permanently block the ultrasn0w/purplesn0w software unlock. It could potentially block the iPhone 3GS jailbreak as well.
it is due to come out anytime now.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Lifer

If you are on 3.0 firmware or higher then go to this link on your iphones browser and it will unlock the tethering

help.BenM.at/help.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement