First Htpc Build - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

First Htpc Build

I am working on my first hptc build what kind of software are you running and why?also what kind of hardware are you running?thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:02 AM
Strong to Quite Strong

I have been running a complete SageTV system for about 4 years. I love it and would never go back. Auto commercial skip FTW.

I run a main server in my office closet that does all of the recording and storage. Then each tv has an extender that gives access to the content. Its like a whole house dvr. It also does what Slingbox does when I travel.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Founding Member

Will you have a dvd collection on a hd?

93 Teal/Gray Cobra

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing19 View Post
Will you have a dvd collection on a hd?
I am working on one.
I just need to find some software to decrypt blue-ray
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 10:32 AM
is chilaxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhatch View Post
I am working on one.
I just need to find some software to decrypt blue-ray

AnyDVD HD and tsMuxeR 1.10.6 to rip and a Blu Ray program to play them. I stream them to ps3, so I'm not sure what's a good program for the pc.

Edit: TsMuxer is used only if you want the movie only. If you want everything else, just use the AnyDVD HD and "copy video to HD".

Last edited by Rafa; 08-19-2009 at 10:46 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Any one using boxee? And will when this be getting netflix support?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Lifer

I am running Win7 with media center. I use Arcsoft Total Media Theater for my DVD/BluRay Playback and Media Center for my TV/DVR.

BTW, I also have a CableCard system.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Pushed to the limit

I am running Mythbuntu 9.04 with a 800HD PCI card from Pinnacle. I have it set up for HD OTA but I am getting some jittering on every channel. After some research, it looks like I might have to get a faster processor. For this particular system, I need at least a 3.0 ghz proc for HD and I am running a 2.5 ghz. I could probably use some more ram as well.

Buying dogs kills.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Lifer

What do you need, bare minimum, for a htpc system? Sound cards, video cards, processor, memory, hd, etc etc. I have thought about doing one, but never really thought about what all it would take.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Strong to Quite Strong

Specs depend on if you are wanting just to record or play back too. It doesn't take a high end system to record since most tuners use hardware encoding. I have found that stand alone decoder boxes work better then building a high end pc for playback.

A server client system is by far the most stable but it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Then you will need to pick software.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
What do you need, bare minimum, for a htpc system? Sound cards, video cards, processor, memory, hd, etc etc. I have thought about doing one, but never really thought about what all it would take.
I really depends on what you plan on doing with your system. If you are only doing SD, you don't need as much machine as with HD.

Look here for Mythbuntu requirements: http://www.mythbuntu.org/requirements
My bro in law had a decent system laying around at his house so he sold it to me at a very nice price. Just needs more RAM and a better processor.

If you don't have linux experience, getting Mythbuntu to work can be almost impossible. You will have to read and read and read some more.

Buying dogs kills.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Lifer

Whats the benefit to building one? I know you can rip rented dvd's or blue ray dvd's, but what else? I would definitely go HD if I decide to build one. And nope, I know nothing about linux.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Whats the benefit to building one? I know you can rip rented dvd's or blue ray dvd's, but what else? I would definitely go HD if I decide to build one. And nope, I know nothing about linux.
You can rip rented DVD's without one.

I like the recording functionality as well as being able to play my MP3s and what ever other media that I might have that is on a computer drive. I really like being able to surf the net using the TV as a monitor as well. My son likes to watch some stuff that is easily accessible on Youtube. This way, I don't have to worry about him spilling his drink on my laptop.

It was a fun project for me. If you like tinkering, you will get something out of the experience. If you are a masochist, download and install Mythbuntu.

Buying dogs kills.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Lifer

Well if your ripping blu ray's, recording tv, and all that good stuff, whats the bare minimum for a processor and memory? And what softwares do you use? I would be building a windows pc, since I have no experience with linux.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 10:14 AM
is chilaxing

Quote:
Well if your ripping blu ray's, recording tv, and all that good stuff, whats the bare minimum for a processor and memory? And what softwares do you use? I would be building a windows pc, since I have no experience with linux.

https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=397771

You will need a decent processor if you plan to rip on same pc. I have a AMD dual core 2.9ghz, 4 gigs, and it takes me at least minimum of 25 min to rip movie/audio only depending on size of bluray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement