How to jailbreak your iPhone 2g, 3g, or 3gS by dville_gt - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

How to jailbreak your iPhone 2g, 3g, or 3gS by dville_gt

3.1 has been released, if running a 3g[s] do not upgrade as no jailbreak exists yet, if running a 3g or 3g[s] do not upgrade if you are unlocked as no unlock exists, this guide is for jailbreaking the 3.0 or 3.0.1 firmware, if you have a 2g or 3g and want to jailbreak on 3.1 go here http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...l-3-1-mac.html

I wrote this out to help some people and figured that it might be of help to those teeter tottering on whether or not to do this and also because I really dislike Apples stance on the subject so I figured I would help others do what Apple is trying to illegalize (Apple claims it is a free-spirited, power-to-the-people type of company yet if you try to develop any application that they do not approve they claim you are breaking the law, oh well, the hardware is good, and with jailbreaking the software is too).

Jailbreaking is basically modifying the iPhone's firmware so that you can get access to the internals of its operating system and install third-party applications on your iPhone that are not otherwise available through official channels (i.e., the App Store). Jailbreaking is a pretty easy process, obtaining the correct files is by far the hardest part. Once you've got that done its pretty much cake walk.

Now, once this is done you'll still be able to sync just like normal, but DO NOT do the updates as they come out, this will unjailbreak your phone and return it to stock. When the update comes out check out the devteams website for directions (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/) (most likely you'll have to hold out on the updates until the team can figure out how to hack it, no worries though, your phone will be far more advanced than any new update Apple is going to offer, jailbroken phones for all intensive purposes are probably more advanced than regular iPhones will be 5 generations from now).

I wouldn't say jailbreaking is without risk, you risk spending way too much time playing with all the new features and bragging to your other iPhone friends about how much better your phone is. Actually damaging your iPhone is very very rare and can almost always be reversed by simply restoring your iPhone through iTunes. 99.99% of problems you hear about is not from jailbreaking, but rather unlocking which is where you edit the baseband of the iPhone to unlock it for use with other carriers other then AT&T, I am not going into that process, although in order to do it you must jailbreak your iPhone first.

CAUTION: If you are jailbreaking your 3GS you will want to redirect iTunes to contact Cydia's server for permission to upgrade firmware. This servers one of two purposes.
1-if you already have an ECID SHSH on file with Cydia the server will send it back and allow you to downgrade to the 3.0 firmware.
2-if you dont have an ECID SHSH on file with Cydia the server will not be able to allow you permission, but will forward the request to Apple, Apple will only sign off for 3.1, Cydia will save this ECID SHSH for future use. Since the 3.1 exploit is coming soon for the 3gS this ECID SHSH will be valueable in the future when Apple will stop signing off for 3.1 (persumably when 3.2 comes out).
To redirect iTunes request to Cydia's server do the following:
For OS X:
1) Open Terminal
2) sudo pico /etc/hosts
3) Paste 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com at the end of the text
4) Ctrl-x to Exit
For Vista:
1) Browse to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories
2) Right click "Notepad" and select "Run as administrator"
3) Click "Continue" on the UAC prompt
4) Click File -> Open
5) Browse to "CWindows\System32\Drivers\etc"
6) Change the file filter drop down box from "Text Documents (*.txt)" to "All Files (*.*)"
7) Select "hosts" and click "Open"
8) Paste 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com at the end of the text
9) Save & Exit

For your 2G or 3G (and 3GS assuming you followed the 3GS direction above).
1: If you have a 3gS and do not have an on-file SHSH with Cydia that was captured before 3.1 came out, do not do a restore, this will upgrade you to the currently un-jailbreakable 3.1 firmware. This guide is only for those running 3.0 or 3.0.1 firmware.

2: Then go to http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750 and pick up the 3.0.0 .ipsw firmware file used for the jailbreak, get the ipsw that corresponds with your phone (i.e. 2G 3.0.0, 3G 3.0.0, or 3GS 3.0.0 (this is a firmware file). Save this file somewhere on your computer.

3: I found a direct link for redsn0w so you do not have to download a bittorrent, just go to this link and click the Windows, Mac, or Linux file based on your O.S. http://www.iphoneworld.ca/news/2009/...k-unlock-tool/ This file will be in a compressed format (.zip).

3 (alt): If for some reason that does not work go download redsn0w from http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/1269...edsn0w-in-june, go down to Official Bittorrent Releases and selected the bit torrent for Mac. You will need a bittorrent downloader; I use a program called Vuze to download my bittorrents which can be had for free at http://www.vuze.com. Once that bittorrent is complete you will have the redsn0w .8 software. A BitTorrent is a peer-to-peer file sharing protocol used for distributing large amounts of data, basically it is a file that links you to other people who have the file you need and downloads it from them, hense peer-to-peer.

4: Unzip (you will need a zip program if you don’t already have one, WinRAR works good and is free, you can find it here http://www.rarlab.com) and launch RedSn0w .8 (which you just downloaded), click “browse” and select the 3.0.0 firmware you downloaded in a folder in step 2. Once the firmware has been successfully identified, click “next”. Select “install Cydia” and click “next”. Make sure your iPhone is plugged into the computer and that it is off. Click “next”. redsn0w will then guide you to put your iPhone into DFU mode. Hold down the power button for 2 seconds. Without releasing the power button, also hold down the home button for 10 seconds. Without releasing the home button, release the power button but keep holding the home button for 30 seconds. If done correctly, your iPhone should reboot and the jailbreak process should start. This step may take up to 15-20 minutes so be patient. Once this process is over, you will get a message saying that it is “done!” Click the “finish” button and reboot your iPhone. The reboot may take up to 10 minutes so again, be patient.

5: You just jailbroke your iPhone w/3.0.1 with RedSn0w. Cydia will now be on your springboard (springboard is what the screens that all of your icons is referred to). Cydia is an application which lets you download unapproved app's for the iPhone. Cydia will need you to setup, set it up as a "Normal User (graphic interface)" or at least I think that is what it says. Then it will want you to download all the essential updates or whatever, go ahead and do that. Now you will need sources to get the applications from, for this you will go to "More Package Sources" on the main Cydia screen, then scroll down to "PwnCenter", then click "Install", and confirm. Once it is done installing go to "Search" and type in "All Sources", click it and hit "install" and confirm. This will install all trusted sources for applications, themes, ringtones, etc. from Cydia. (Note: this doesn’t install any applications, themes, ringtones, etc, but it gives you the sources in which to obtain them so that when you search for them they will show up and be downloadable through Cydia). Secondly you will want to go to "Manage" under Cydia, hit "Sources", then hit "Edit", then hit "Add" and type in http://cydia.hackulo.us and hit add source. This allows you to install "Appsync 3.0" and "Installous" which you'll find descriptions for below.

6: Now is the fun part of adding all the goodies to the phone. I have compiled a starters list of apps to download to get you going, there are many many more however:

Appsync 3.0 by Appulous allows you to sync the applications you get through Installous (or download on your computer through a bittorrent site such as thepiratebay.org and use vuze to download then just drag the file inside the zip file straight into iTunes and it won’t complain) Very cool, this all runs behind the curtain so just install and you'll never know it's there.

Installous by Appulous allows you to download any "real" iTunes Appstore app for free (of course I do not recommend this as it is probably a copyright violation, but if you choose to they are legit, they have pretty much every app. Use the "Search" to find the app, then scroll to the bottom of the apps preview page, click the newest version. What will come up are a list of iPhone friendly sites to download from, most have some type of verification to make sure you are not a "bot", so some make you do some simple math equation or type in a code that is displayed, then it will move on to the download. Hit install and when it is done the app will appear just like you bought it.

GV Mobile (which recently got yanked from the appstore) is only good for JB'd phones. You have to request a GoogleVoice account and it usually takes a week or so for them to grant you an account.

Categories will let you make folders so you don’t have apps all over. You can put a bunch of apps into a fold and then you don’t have to have so many screens full of apps.

FiveRowDock lets you have 5 icons in the dock.

Five-Column SB lets you have 5 columns of apps.

FiveIRows GUI - lets you have 5 rows of apps (this one installs an "app" and you go in and turn it on through the app).

Stack alpha Fr- Allows one of your dock icons to come out and display multiple apps, this is a French program, but it’s the only one that works on the 3.0 firmware, you don’t need to read anything with it anyways, just drag apps into the stack to add them, to remove them have the stack come out and pull them out to the left to remove, to rename the stack just hold the stacks icon and up at the top it will tell you to click there to rename the stack.

MakeItMine - lets you replace the carrier name (AT&T) or the clock with whatever you want.

APTBackup lets you back up your Cydia apps so if you have to restore it will automatically redownload all the stuff you've gotten from Cydia.

MPlayer lets you play unconverted .wmv .avi etc. files. Must use SSH to put the media files onto your phone. Do some research on SSH for macs and iphones to figure out how this works, you'll definitely end up messing with it.

OpenSSH lets you connect to your phone from your computer to have file access to your iPhone to edit/add/remove files.

CyDelete makes it easy to delete Cydia apps, makes it just like deleting a regular app where you get the app shaking and then hit the "-", for theme's and ringtones and anything else that you download from Cydia that you can’t easily remove just open Cydia, find that item, instead of "Install" it will say "Modify" click that and then "Remove" and it will remove whatever it install. CyDelete just simplifies it for those that have icons.

SBSettings - Allows easy access to turn on and off 3g, Edge, Wifi, SSH, Reload Springboard, shut down, etc. When you install this you won’t see an icon. To access it you swipe your finger across from left to right basically starting where the AT&T is across the clock.

iMobileCinema - Allows you to play some (not all) flash within Safari. This is a plug in for Safari and works for about 80% of flash video you will encounter.

MxTube - Allows you to download Youtube videos for later playback.

Notifier- Allows you to see if you have email, voicemail, missed calls, ect. on your locked screen.

dTunes - allows you to download and play music/torrents through your iPhone. It is a bittorrent downloader and allows you to download from the piratebay.org or wherever else, kind of works like Vuze.

Backgrounder - allows you to run applications in the background, for example, if you like to listen to Pandora radio you know that you can’t have anything else open while listening. With this application you can open Pandora, then minimize it while it is still running in the background and then open another application while still listening to Pandora.

Winterboard - allows full customization of the GUI and allows you to download pre-made themes to your iPhone from Cydia (I currently use Glasklart). When you download themes from Cydia they go right into the winterboard and you have to "check" them to activate them. Winterboard works in a "pecking" order so you can move things up and down to have work, so if you install a theme for example but want your background you have to move "User background" above your theme.

Emulators - I have the psx4iphone and they have NES and Gameboy Advance, I am still tweaking mine to get Grand Turismo 2 to work properly, but it loads, just lagging right now.

There are a bunch of others, but this will get you started. A quick search for Cydia applications that are compatible with 3.0 firmware will yield a lot of results. If anything goes wrong you can always restore, worst case boot your phone into DFU mode (Google DFU iPhone if you don’t already know how) and restore from there.

Also, don't bring your iPhone into a Apple store jailbroken or it they can void your warrenty. If you need warranty work, restore your phone and they won't know it was ever jailbroken.

Last edited by dville_gt; 09-25-2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Found direct link for redsn0w. 3.1 came out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 04:18 PM
fuckcanada

thanks for this thread, just got my 3gs and i've been meaning to jailbreak

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

no prob, i put that all together after a few buddies asked for help, then i figured i'd share it with dfwstangs.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Also FYI, for those of you with the 3GS, if you do not obtain the iBEC and iBSS files before 3.1 hits (which will be anyday now), then you might be screwed if you ever decide you want to jailbreak. With that said you might want to go ahead and obtain those files (which requires you do a restore) so that your options are not limited when you figure out that the iPhone sucks without being jailbroken.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Time Served

very useful thanks
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:28 PM
CHAMPION

lotta shit, wanna do mine? Does this work and then still have internet tethering?

2006 GSX-R 1000
2001 Mustang Bullitt
1992 Mustang Coupe
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

ya, you can do the exploit or just run one of the many cydia applications that enable it. i'd say tethering is better on a jailbroken phone then not. it is really easy to do it, especially with my instructions and links.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:27 PM
CHAMPION

Quote:
Originally Posted by dville_gt View Post
ya, you can do the exploit or just run one of the many cydia applications that enable it. i'd say tethering is better on a jailbroken phone then not. it is really easy to do it, especially with my instructions and links.
I mean I have mine tethering now but its not jailbroke

2006 GSX-R 1000
2001 Mustang Bullitt
1992 Mustang Coupe
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Lifer

Nice write up... just jailbroke my 3GS... but im confused. Seems like alot of the apps you still have to pay for. So is jailbreaking only good for changing your background and shit? Still cant find free MMS software... only 1 GPS turn-by-turn and it sucks, (xGPS), fake Caller ID is cool, but u have to pay for the full version... wtf? Am i missing something? Everyone is always talking about how cool jailbroke apps are... where are they at?

-Daniel

Daniel's RV-7:

Empenage - Done
Wings - 98.5% Done
Fuselage - Bulkheads...

http://www.danielhv.com
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Bite Me!!!

If any of you do the tethering hack on a 3gs, not the jail break. make sure and go into the system settings and tell it to reset the network defaults.. tethering will stay..... but your voicemail will not be broken for a month like mine.....
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Stang U View Post
If any of you do the tethering hack on a 3gs, not the jail break. make sure and go into the system settings and tell it to reset the network defaults.. tethering will stay..... but your voicemail will not be broken for a month like mine.....
I thought about doing the tethering thing... but read somewhere that AT&T will see the absurd data useage and will fine the shit out of you. Any truth to this? I d/l and surf all day long on my verizon card... so Im not giving it up until teathering is a for sure thing!

Daniel's RV-7:

Empenage - Done
Wings - 98.5% Done
Fuselage - Bulkheads...

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:51 AM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhv View Post
Nice write up... just jailbroke my 3GS... but im confused. Seems like alot of the apps you still have to pay for. So is jailbreaking only good for changing your background and shit? Still cant find free MMS software... only 1 GPS turn-by-turn and it sucks, (xGPS), fake Caller ID is cool, but u have to pay for the full version... wtf? Am i missing something? Everyone is always talking about how cool jailbroke apps are... where are they at?

-Daniel
read up on hackulo.us, and Installous

add this repo
cydia.hackulo.us

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhv View Post
I thought about doing the tethering thing... but read somewhere that AT&T will see the absurd data useage and will fine the shit out of you. Any truth to this? I d/l and surf all day long on my verizon card... so Im not giving it up until teathering is a for sure thing!
I've been wondering about this too

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

i havent heard of anyone getting charged for tethering, but read the disclaimer a lot, i guess we'll have to wait and see.

and about the apps, there are a bunch of good ones on cydia, but once you have installous you get all the app store apps for free too.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Bite Me!!!

I only use tethering for when i need to get into work remotely on an emergency call. But people have been doing the ICS sharing with other phones for some time now with out any issues. i have yet to hear anything about people getting charged or even caught using tethering.

I mean realistically you can browse just as much on the phone as you can tethered.... It seems like it would be even more transparent now that you have full web browser built into the phone unlike the windows mobile devices....
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Stang U View Post
I only use tethering for when i need to get into work remotely on an emergency call. But people have been doing the ICS sharing with other phones for some time now with out any issues. i have yet to hear anything about people getting charged or even caught using tethering.

I mean realistically you can browse just as much on the phone as you can tethered.... It seems like it would be even more transparent now that you have full web browser built into the phone unlike the windows mobile devices....
yea, but im on torrents and newsgroups alot. Dont think you're going to d/l a gig or two per day browsing on the iphone.

Daniel's RV-7:

Empenage - Done
Wings - 98.5% Done
Fuselage - Bulkheads...

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 07:25 PM
fuckcanada

Just Jailbroke mine, pretty easy process overall.

Few thoughts, sure its cool I can customize the look and icons/themes and yeah I like that and wallpaper behind icons/apps, i like that.

But I don't really see a "utter" need to have jailbroke it, there isn't one app that is making me think man I should have done this sooner ya know?

Basically the only reason I jailbroke it was because I was having an issue with Wifi killing all radios, and my iphone was telling me a restore was needed. So

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
Just Jailbroke mine, pretty easy process overall.

Few thoughts, sure its cool I can customize the look and icons/themes and yeah I like that and wallpaper behind icons/apps, i like that.

But I don't really see a "utter" need to have jailbroke it, there isn't one app that is making me think man I should have done this sooner ya know?

Basically the only reason I jailbroke it was because I was having an issue with Wifi killing all radios, and my iphone was telling me a restore was needed. So
backgrounder (mutiple applications open at once)? installous (free app store)?
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 07:52 PM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dville_gt View Post
backgrounder (mutiple applications open at once)? installous (free app store)?
Yeah I need to check out installous, I don't really run multiple programs at once so backgrounder has no use for me. And if I am running a background program, it'll be my ipod listening to music. That's bout it really.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 09:48 PM
fuckcanada

Is there any good, dashboard for the lock screen?

Calender or some shit?

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
Is there any good, dashboard for the lock screen?

Calender or some shit?
give Intelliscreen a try, i havent used it on OS3.0
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Crackalack!

What's the term to describe making an IPhone work on another network, like Verizon? Is it just "unlocked". How hard is that?
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 09:15 PM
is chilaxing

Just picked up a 3gs, so I might break it tonight or wait till tomorrow.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Will this work on the ipod touch 8gig
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Lifer

I cant find Installous or any Appulous on Cydia. Where do I get them? Thanks!

generic signature
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 11:43 PM
is chilaxing

I just hacked my 3gs. Pretty simple. I was able to find Installous.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 06:19 AM
Lifer

I was able to install the repo and find it that way. Thanks

generic signature
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 07:04 AM
Ide fuck her in the ass..

someone wanna jailbreak and unlock my iPhone so I can use it for t mobile?

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:00 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

bumping for later reference

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 11:23 PM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
thanks dville_gt the phone rocks now

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 12:56 AM
you stinky bitch

When I got to this part...

Quote:
ngtones, etc, but it gives you the sources in which to obtain them so that when you search for them they will show up and be downloadable through Cydia). Secondly you will want to go to "Manage" under Cydia, hit "Sources", then hit "Edit", then hit "Add" and type in http://cydia.hackulo.us and hit add source. This allows you to install "Appsync 3.0" and "Installous" which you'll find descriptions for below.

it is taking forever and on the screen it just says "downloading packages" and it shows it to be working. How long is this part supposed to take? Its been at least 15 minutes....

Best something in Texas.... just don't know what it is yet....
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:37 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline 6 View Post
When I got to this part...

it is taking forever and on the screen it just says "downloading packages" and it shows it to be working. How long is this part supposed to take? Its been at least 15 minutes....
I ran into this when I installed the MMS and Tethering Settings. Actually, it was when I was adding repo.sinfuliphone.com as a source. I ended up rebooting the phone (hold home and power button for 10 sec) to remedy the issue.

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Time Served

i tunes 9 forced me to upgrade to 3.1 and lost my jailbreak. had to re install 8.2, downgrade to 3.0, re jailbreak and then restore through itunes the custom 3.1 jailbreak firmware. iphone is not the same without jailbreak. just having problems with some of the sources in cydia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement