question about google - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

question about google

I have no clue why but google.com won't come up on my laptop. It'll come up on my desktop using the same internet but not on my laptop. I've cleared out my cookies, temp internet files, and all. Any clue as to why it wouldn't come out up on my laptop?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Lifer

Maybe you are having a DNS issue?

try to load http://74.125.67.100

Any luck?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by black90gt View Post
Maybe you have having a DNS issue?

try to load http://74.125.67.100

Any luck?
That worked just fine... not sure what that means. Do you mind explaining further?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
That worked just fine... not sure what that means. Do you mind explaining further?
DNS = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

Then preform this step = http://www.updatexp.com/dns-windows-xp.html

Or use different DNS servers. I like 4.2.2.1-5
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
DNS = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

Then preform this step = http://www.updatexp.com/dns-windows-xp.html

Or use different DNS servers. I like 4.2.2.1-5

Ok I followed the link and flushed the DNS cache but I'm not sure how to add the part to the registry key.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:52 PM
is chilaxing

start/run
then type "regedit"
then drill down to correct path
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Ok I followed the link and flushed the DNS cache but I'm not sure how to add the part to the registry key.
I would skip the registry step.

Did you reboot after the DNS flush. Any luck?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
I would skip the registry step.

Did you reboot after the DNS flush. Any luck?
I just rebooted, never did the the rest, just the DNS flush and still not working.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Lifer

Which browser are you using?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Which browser are you using?
I've tried in both FF & IE.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 08:56 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

that's an ISP issue almost certainly. release and renew your IP, see if that works.

windows key+r, cmd, ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
that's an ISP issue almost certainly. release and renew your IP, see if that works.

windows key+r, cmd, ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew
Just gave that a go CJ, did exactly that and then restarted yet still not working. I'm on my dads laptop using the same wireless internet and his laptop has no problem getting on google.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 09:15 PM
CJ

Quote:
Just gave that a go CJ, did exactly that and then restarted yet still not working. I'm on my dads laptop using the same wireless internet and his laptop has no problem getting on google.

try this

ipconfig /all

scroll up and look for DNS server, should list some IP's, does it list any?
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
try this

ipconfig /all

scroll up and look for DNS server, should list some IP's, does it list any?
It lists 2, not sure why it's two.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Lifer

Do the same with your fathers PC and see what DNS servers he has. It looks like you're using OpenDNS servers which should be fine.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

My dad already took off with his computer so I'm not able to compare anymore.

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 11:10 PM
CJ

have you tried switching browsers?

try this in the cmd window, ping google.com

if that returns a ping, your DNS is working, it might just be your browser.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
have you tried switching browsers?

try this in the cmd window, ping google.com

if that returns a ping, your DNS is working, it might just be your browser.
returned the ping, still wont come up under google.com in IE or FF.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Still having this problem, any other input on a fix?

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 05:13 AM
Lifer

Do you happen to have Kazaa installed on your computer? Or happen to be using Windows XP with SP3 installed? That can manipulate your HOST file and cause problems.

Also, it sounds like your Google DNS entries has very short TTLs for whatever reason. Disable your firewall and try flushing the DNS cache again. Reboot and then see if you can go first to http://www.google.ca then onto google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 06:29 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

I'd put my money on the hosts file redirecting google.com to either 127.0.0.1 or some other ip that may have been shut down.

the hosts file is located at "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\". The filename is simply "hosts", with no extension.

Attached is a clean hosts file. Backup your current hosts file and download this one into the folder above and rename it to remove the .txt extension. See if that works.

Last edited by HOOCBB; 07-14-2010 at 10:18 AM.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 06:31 AM
老师

This happened to me and I just used the internet connection setup wizard to create a new connection a couple years ago on an old computer that I don't use anymore. I still don't know the root cause, but it fixed it and didn't hurt anything, so that may work for you.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
I'd put my money on the hosts file redirecting google.com to either 127.0.0.1 or some other ip that may have been shut down.

the hosts file is located at "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\". The filename is simply "hosts", with no extension.

Attached is a clean hosts file. Backup your current hosts file and download this one into the folder above and rename it to remove the .txt extension. See if that works.
Ok fellas I'm still left in the dark here. I've done everything as instructed but still no go with google working. I just gave your tip a go and still getting no where. I have my brothers laptop right here next to me and google works fine on it. Do I need to empty my temp files or temporary internet files?

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Lifer

Use 4.2.2.1-5 for your DNS servers. Dont use your ISPs.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Use 4.2.2.1-5 for your DNS servers. Dont use your ISPs.
how do i set that as my DNS?

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
how do i set that as my DNS?
?

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Pilgrim

banned by google
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillystang View Post
banned by google
haha, if only that were the case. It's just really weird that google won't work on my laptop at my girls place, but it'll work at my place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement