Question about mobile internet - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Question about mobile internet

So I really don't want to pay $50/month or whatever it is to have mobile internet through AT&T so that my laptop will work everywhere,because i don't feel like I will use it enough to warrant that expense. But, it would be nice to have internet in my truck for road trips and whatnot. I do have an Iphone, but using the internet on it is cumbersome. This is probably a dumb question, but is there any way to hook the Iphone to a laptop so that I can surf using the bigger screen and keypad? And no, I wouldn't do this while driving, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Professional Driver

It's called tethering

post # 28

https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=394258

It was supposed to have been included with 3.0, but AT&T changed their mind.

I am assuming you have at least a 3g - I tried to install it on my boss's 2g and it didn't work.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
post # 28

https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=394258

It was supposed to have been included with 3.0, but AT&T changed their mind.

I am assuming you have at least a 3g - I tried to install it on my boss's 2g and it didn't work.

I have a 3g Iphone. I'll try this from home later and see if i can make it work. Thanks!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Wait, I was reading the rest of that thread. So this is illegal? Not sure I want to go that route.

I was hoping it would be something simple. I suck with computers, so if it is illegal or complicated at all, I'll just pass.

I still can't figure out how to put songs on my Ipod. lol
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
Wait, I was reading the rest of that thread. So this is illegal? Not sure I want to go that route.

I was hoping it would be something simple. I suck with computers, so if it is illegal or complicated at all, I'll just pass.

I still can't figure out how to put songs on my Ipod. lol
it's not illegal. you won't go to jail. it's against the Terms of Service on your contract.

worst case scenario is at&t bitches at you and charges you some extra cash or cancels your contract.

tethering your iphone to your laptop is probably ok is you only do it occasionally and don't transfer huge amounts of data. at&t will probably never notice. If you are using it all the time and downloading movies and a windows updates and shit like that then they are going to figure it out pretty quick.

from what i've read as long as you stay under a 5GB cap they don't really do anything.

it's worth setting your iphone up to tether just in case you need it but i wouldn't use it as my primary internet connection.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Okay, well are there any other options for using my laptop for surfing the internet while on the road, besides using my Iphone, or getting the aircard thing from AT&T? I don't need it for business, and won't use it a ton, so I'd like to avoid paying $50/month. $20/month, or even $30/month would be somethng I'd consider. Or, if I could pay up front for some type of device that woudl always work, that would be cool. I saw a thing out there (can't remember the name) that turns the vehicle into a wifi hot spot essentially, but it was very limited and charged a lot if you go over the data limits. I'd rather not have to worry about that.

I may be asking for too much. If so, I'll just go without.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:42 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Have a phone that doesnt suck, I've been using my tilt for over a year for tethering, and have never been charged a penny for it. It also gets HSDPA, buuuut I won't get into that since iphone guys think 3G is the fastest network.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
Okay, well are there any other options for using my laptop for surfing the internet while on the road, besides using my Iphone, or getting the aircard thing from AT&T? I don't need it for business, and won't use it a ton, so I'd like to avoid paying $50/month. $20/month, or even $30/month would be somethng I'd consider. Or, if I could pay up front for some type of device that woudl always work, that would be cool. I saw a thing out there (can't remember the name) that turns the vehicle into a wifi hot spot essentially, but it was very limited and charged a lot if you go over the data limits. I'd rather not have to worry about that.

I may be asking for too much. If so, I'll just go without.
Verizon makes a thing call a MiFi. It's a basically a cellular wifi router. you just turn it on and your laptop would see it as a wifi hotspot and you could connect to the internet.

i think it's something like $100 up front and then like $50/mo. i think they also have an optional day pass plan that is like $15 a day and wouldn't lock you into a contract. if you only used it once or twice a month that would come to $15 - $30 a month.

if i were you i would just tether with my iphone. i use my iphone to tether my laptop occasionally when i'm on the road but only use it maybe 3 or 4 times in a month and it's mostly just for browsing the web, reading email, etc. as long as you don't go overboard with it you will be fine.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GT50 View Post
Have a phone that doesnt suck, I've been using my tilt for over a year for tethering, and have never been charged a penny for it. It also gets HSDPA, buuuut I won't get into that since iphone guys think 3G is the fastest network.
that's great and all but i think there are only a couple of cities in the US that at&t has hsdpa coverage and dfw isn't one of them.

my iphone 3gs has hsdpa also.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:53 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt54 View Post
that's great and all but i think there are only a couple of cities in the US that at&t has hsdpa coverage and dfw isn't one of them.

my iphone 3gs has hsdpa also.
DFW IS HSDPA area, I get 5 bars in my house. On most of the HTC phones, they will say 3G even if it's in an HSDPA area.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GT50 View Post
DFW IS HSDPA area, I get 5 bars in my house. On most of the HTC phones, they will say 3G even if it's in an HSDPA area.
HSDPA is 3G. (some people refer to it also 3.5G, but it's still the same generation of technology)

HSDPA comes in two speeds. 3.6mbps and 7.2mbps.

The iphone 3g, 3gs, and your tilt all operate on 3.6mbps hsdpa.

The iphone 3gs also supports 7.2mbps.

The problem is that the 7.2mbs HSDPA is only in chicago right now.

so your phone is not any faster than the iphone 3g. sorry.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:39 AM
dead

oh nose, your tilt is no faster than an iphone. DANG!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:46 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
oh nose, your tilt is no faster than an iphone. DANG!
LOL, fuck you, Mo!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt54 View Post
HSDPA is 3G. (some people refer to it also 3.5G, but it's still the same generation of technology)

HSDPA comes in two speeds. 3.6mbps and 7.2mbps.

The iphone 3g, 3gs, and your tilt all operate on 3.6mbps hsdpa.

The iphone 3gs also supports 7.2mbps.

The problem is that the 7.2mbs HSDPA is only in chicago right now.

so your phone is not any faster than the iphone 3g. sorry.
correct..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement