anyone have the Samsung Memoir? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
que?
 
grove rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,662
anyone have the Samsung Memoir?

i don't/won't carry a digital camera since most phones now a days have them. figure this would be a decent camera plus touch screen phone, any opinions?

i have seen one in person but did not get to play with it. it's shorter and a little less wide than the ipone but it is a tiny bit thicker, but it does weigh less. here are some pics if you haven't seen it



Last edited by grove rat; 06-25-2009 at 08:38 AM.
grove rat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 468
I got it almost a month ago, no major complaints yet. I had the Wing before btw... One thing that is annoying at times is unintentionally opening the widgets while scrolling, but I didn't expect an iphone experience as far as the touch interface goes.
The camera is badass I must say with the blink detection thing, GPS is also integrated with taking photos, not exactly sure what it does tho... Oh and Turn by turn GPS kicks ass. One more complaint is no WiFi but I never use my phone for the web so for me it wasn't a big deal. Also, I haven't used the Internet browser as I don't have the data plan. hope that helps.


fast and cheap is not reliable...
reliable and fast is not cheap...
cheap and reliable is not fast...
06S197GT is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
que?
 
grove rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06S197GT View Post
I got it almost a month ago, no major complaints yet. I had the Wing before btw... One thing that is annoying at times is unintentionally opening the widgets while scrolling, but I didn't expect an iphone experience as far as the touch interface goes.
The camera is badass I must say with the blink detection thing, GPS is also integrated with taking photos, not exactly sure what it does tho... Oh and Turn by turn GPS kicks ass. One more complaint is no WiFi but I never use my phone for the web so for me it wasn't a big deal. Also, I haven't used the Internet browser as I don't have the data plan. hope that helps.
do you do alot of txting? i do and wondering how that is on a touchscreen only phone. i read about the no wifi but i heard the tmobile internet is pretty fast. i don't really search the web but i do use the shit out of google maps, does it come with that already installed?

if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours?

i see them on craigslist new in box from 250-300...if it's gonna cost me 200 or 225 at tmobile(by signing a 2 year contract) i'll just buy my own and go month to month

got any pics you wanna show off that you took with it? just curious as to how clear the pics are
grove rat is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by grove rat View Post
do you do alot of txting? i do and wondering how that is on a touchscreen only phone. i read about the no wifi but i heard the tmobile internet is pretty fast. i don't really search the web but i do use the shit out of google maps, does it come with that already installed?

if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours?

i see them on craigslist new in box from 250-300...if it's gonna cost me 200 or 225 at tmobile(by signing a 2 year contract) i'll just buy my own and go month to month

got any pics you wanna show off that you took with it? just curious as to how clear the pics are
here is a pic I took of my dog Taken about 10 mins ago


texting is not bad actually (on occasion it does lag behind your fingers if you are a fast texter) no google maps but the app for turn by turn is pretty good IMO and there are some hacks for the phone on the behold website where you can add GPS apps and such.

the phone itself came out to around $275 and that was with two year extension but W/O the mail in rebate.


fast and cheap is not reliable...
reliable and fast is not cheap...
cheap and reliable is not fast...

Last edited by 06S197GT; 06-26-2009 at 08:36 PM.
06S197GT is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
que?
 
grove rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06S197GT View Post
here is a pic I took of my dog Taken about 10 mins ago

texting is not bad actually (on occasion it does lag behind your fingers if you are a fast texter) no google maps but the app for turn by turn is pretty good IMO and there are some hacks for the phone on the behold website where you can add GPS apps and such.

the phone itself came out to around $275 and that was with two year extension but W/O the mail in rebate.
damn, nice pic

yea i txt alot but not too fast, shouldn't be a problem

have you tried downloading google maps? it didn't come on my treo or centro(forgot which one) but all i had to do was go to google and download the maps app. if there is no way i can get the google maps app i might have to look around at another phone...i have grown so attached to it

i have a gps in my car so the turn by turn is cool but not necessary(sp?)

thanks for all the info man
grove rat is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 468
I cannot DL google maps as I do not have the data plan otherwise it is possible


fast and cheap is not reliable...
reliable and fast is not cheap...
cheap and reliable is not fast...
06S197GT is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
que?
 
grove rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06S197GT View Post
I cannot DL google maps as I do not have the data plan otherwise it is possible
oh ok, i'll look around on the internet and see if it's possible. should be
grove rat is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,776
I have one and I love it. its my first cool phone lol. I took me a day to get used to, really simple to use. I don't do any internet stuff on my phones, I just call and text. Now I can take bad ass pictues. So for me its perfect to not have to carry a camera (stolen!) and a phone around. You will get used to the widgets...

BAD RELIGION is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome