Anyone working with VMware vSphere 4 yet? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Anyone working with VMware vSphere 4 yet?

I was just curious to see if any of my fellow geeks have started working with vSphere 4.0 yet (aka VMware ESX 4). I just got tapped by my company to do a small deployment for a customer. It will be my 21st virtual datacenter deployment but my first with the new product.

I also got lucky and was picked to take the beta exam for the vSphere VCP. So I get to be one of the first people to be certified on the new product.

For those of you that don't know. VMware vSphere (formerly Virtual Infrastructure) is a virtualized datacenter. It allows you to run large numbers of virtual machines based on Windows, Linux, Solaris, and other 32 and 64bit OSes. It allows companies to greatly reduce the amount of hardware they need as well as other operating expenses like power and cooling, datacenter floorspace, etc, etc.. There are a lot of companies out there looking to reduce those costs so I'm in pretty high demand these days. It is a skill set that I recommend if you're a WinTel sys admin and you want to greatly increase your value.

So is there anyone else out there working with this?

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Very Interesting

I've been looking at it, but just haven't had the time or need from customers yet to deploy anything yet.

I've been messing with VMWare, and Virtual Server for a while, but like I said, nothing with high availability

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Time Served

I'm using it to migrate Win Server 2003 to Server 2008. We're using a VM server to test a whole bunch of options. Pretty neat stuff, though honestly...the software has been a pain in the arse. Have had to google information on why things went wrong far too many times.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Free Falling

Went to the launch event here in Atl week or so ago. Cant wait to get it into our environment at work.

Currently running ESX 3.5 on 9 hosts with 354 guests. Bringing 5 more host online within the next month. 2 of which working on now for a dedicated DMZ cluster. VMware is fun....

2004 Red Audi A4 USP
1988 Grey LX 5.0 Conv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement