Managed File Solution OpenSource - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Googlist-Wikipedian

Managed File Solution OpenSource

Has anyone used or know of a solution like yousendit? We are a construction company so we send plans back and forth, sometimes up to 600meg. We currently use yousendit but I want a solution where we can install an outlook addon that detects if bigger than 5 meg, send via "yousendit".

The closest piece I've found is...

http://www.velodoc.com/en/

They have a enterprise edition with outlook addon, for 3k

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Time Served

its almost easier to just upload them to your company website via FTP and send the text link out? you can hide the files from anon access of course, or you could randomize the filenames. you could give whoever sends the plans out an icon to double click and then basically drag and drop with ease.

at least you wont be limited to the speed of someone elses website.

and then there is always sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_...ds=file+manage

lol

Last edited by buzntxn; 06-10-2009 at 01:56 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 02:02 PM
duh...duh....duh

Ya so, that's one way to do it.

Are the users that get these files interconnected? We have a lot of customer who do this sort of thing as well. Hospital x-rays..etc. We have great success with Cisco WAAS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6474/index.html

We've seen over 10 times improvement. It does this via..
-TCP optimization for specific applications. Not generalizations. i.e. It'll know SQL like traffic like x/y/z and will setup the streams that way. However, if it knows Oracle or SMTP is better another way - those sessions maintain those settings.

-Header compression.

-Data compression.

-Caching. So lets say a jpeg is sent from site a to site b and c. Well now when that jpeg is sent between c and b and a - it's cached and won't be retransmitted.

Lets say you change a paragraph in a .doc file with 2000 pictures in it that was emailed to you. Well, it was cached and WAAS can determine that only a paragraph was change and only transmit that portion.

Pretty slick product. Let me know if you want more information.

Curious, can you say what construction company? We do work for a few bigger named ones in the area - at least housing ones and a couple of...well, more Engineering/Architect firms beyond the home builders.

My '03 Sold.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzntxn View Post
its almost easier to just upload them to your company website via FTP and send the text link out? you can hide the files from anon access of course, or you could randomize the filenames. you could give whoever sends the plans out an icon to double click and then basically drag and drop with ease.

at least you wont be limited to the speed of someone elses website.

and then there is always sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_...ds=file+manage

lol
Yeah, I work with abunch of rednecks...... that won't happen. I kinda do that now, but I feel that them just going ahead and attaching 900 megs worth of attachments and the addon picks it up and email the person download from: blah.com.

yeah I found that one program via sf.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
Ya so, that's one way to do it.

Are the users that get these files interconnected? We have a lot of customer who do this sort of thing as well. Hospital x-rays..etc. We have great success with Cisco WAAS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6474/index.html

We've seen over 10 times improvement. It does this via..
-TCP optimization for specific applications. Not generalizations. i.e. It'll know SQL like traffic like x/y/z and will setup the streams that way. However, if it knows Oracle or SMTP is better another way - those sessions maintain those settings.

-Header compression.

-Data compression.

-Caching. So lets say a jpeg is sent from site a to site b and c. Well now when that jpeg is sent between c and b and a - it's cached and won't be retransmitted.

Lets say you change a paragraph in a .doc file with 2000 pictures in it that was emailed to you. Well, it was cached and WAAS can determine that only a paragraph was change and only transmit that portion.

Pretty slick product. Let me know if you want more information.

Curious, can you say what construction company? We do work for a few bigger named ones in the area - at least housing ones and a couple of...well, more Engineering/Architect firms beyond the home builders.
I rather not :P I will say we do between 120 to 150 mil in drywall/plastering.

Nothing like that yet. We are actually about to go to a MPLS XO Soultion. We save 700$ a month, and double BW in each office and our corp office goes from 2 t1s to Ethernet (10meg)

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:21 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x View Post
I rather not :P I will say we do between 120 to 150 mil in drywall/plastering.

Nothing like that yet. We are actually about to go to a MPLS XO Soultion. We save 700$ a month, and double BW in each office and our corp office goes from 2 t1s to Ethernet (10meg)
With MPLS, most carriers will allow you do SIP trunking too which typically allows for cost savings. I could go on for days with stuff....

...another thing to remember, for Internet these WAAS type solutions have minimal benefits. However, the ROI on WAN links can be amazing. I'll digress though since I don't want to write long ass posts if your not that interested anyway. I get kind of excited over this stuff and can talk for days about all the options and so forth.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
With MPLS, most carriers will allow you do SIP trunking too which typically allows for cost savings. I could go on for days with stuff....

...another thing to remember, for Internet these WAAS type solutions have minimal benefits. However, the ROI on WAN links can be amazing. I'll digress though since I don't want to write long ass posts if your not that interested anyway. I get kind of excited over this stuff and can talk for days about all the options and so forth.

Take care,
I think in a few years we will move into that type of solution. we about 5 offices here in Texas and one in AZ now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement