Excel gurus - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Long Live T.S.

Excel gurus

Ok I want to look at a cell with a number in it and compare it to another cell with a number in it and if the cells are the same numbers I want it to write a text and if it is not correct test the next cell...

example:

If a1 = a2 then write " P.O. " otherwise if a1 = a3 then write "P.O. 2"

and continue this test till it finds the correct argument any help is appreciated!

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Resident Misanthrope

Location: I am sorry, you must have mistaken me for someone that gives a Fuck!
try

=IF (a1=a2, P.O., if (a1=a3, P.O., if (a1=a3, P.0, if (a1=a4, P.O., if (a1=a5, P.O. etc...)))))

it is a long ass function

here is one from a spreadhseet that I use looking for a maximum value

=IF(C28<=0.25,0.9,IF(C28<=0.35,0.8,IF(C28<=0.45,0.7,IF(C28<=0.55,0.6,0.5))))

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly View Post
try

=IF (a1=a2, P.O., if (a1=a3, P.O., if (a1=a3, P.0, if (a1=a4, P.O., if (a1=a5, P.O. etc...)))))

it is a long ass function

here is one from a spreadhseet that I use looking for a maximum value

=IF(C28<=0.25,0.9,IF(C28<=0.35,0.8,IF(C28<=0.45,0.7,IF(C28<=0.55,0.6,0.5))))
this way will work and will probably be easier to understand but takes a lot of time to type out if you are comparing a really large number of rows.

you could try using vlookup or hlookup (vlookup if the data is in columns, hlookup if it's in rows) and it would require a lot less typing, but requires a bit more knowledge. if you are used to using databases then vlookup is kinda like a simple scalar query.

'01 Bullitt #0054

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Long Live T.S.

Thanks for the response seems like this method might work as well

http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/formulas/vlookup.php

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Time Served

i attached an example for vlookup.

the only formula is under the result column. columns A and B are your data columns (where you are going to match and lookup stuff).

change the value under 'match this'

when you change that number, the vlookup formula will find that number in column A and then return the number in column B.

hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip vlookup example.zip (4.4 KB, 26 views)

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Long Live T.S.

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A23,'Account Numbers'!$A$2:$A$500,2,FALSE))," ",VLOOKUP(A23,'Account Numbers'!$A$2:$A$500,2,FALSE))

I have come up with this, but for some reason I am not getting a return of anything

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Long Live T.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt54 View Post
i attached an example for vlookup.

the only formula is under the result column. columns A and B are your data columns (where you are going to match and lookup stuff).

change the value under 'match this'

when you change that number, the vlookup formula will find that number in column A and then return the number in column B.

hope this helps.

Thank ya I will look at this....

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWminis View Post
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A23,'Account Numbers'!$A$2:$A$500,2,FALSE))," ",VLOOKUP(A23,'Account Numbers'!$A$2:$A$500,2,FALSE))

I have come up with this, but for some reason I am not getting a return of anything
try this:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A23,'Account Numbers'!$A$2:$A$500,1,FALSE))," ",VLOOKUP(A23,'Account Numbers'!$A$2:$A$500,1,FALSE))

the 2nd to last argument you had has a "2". that will return the 2nd column in the range of cells you selected A2 - A500. Since that range is only one column you need a "1" in there instead.

usually a vlookup is used when you have at least two columns. the first column in the range acts as your index. that determines what row it is going to look at and try to find a match for. the 2nd to last argument tells it what column on that row to look at for the return value. for instance if you had A2 - B500, and you put a 2 in there it would find the matching value in column A, and then return the value that is in column B.

i can't think of any really good reason to use just one column, if you already know the value you want to look up, A23 in your case, then you would just use that value.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Long Live T.S.

Sent ya a Pm bullit

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Lifer

It almost looks like your trying to find duplicate values and only need it from a visual standpoint. You might be better off using "conditional formatting". If your using 2007 here is a screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	92175  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

vlookup is the way to go for that. Follow the advice given above and you'll be good.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Lifer

Can you post an example of the worksheet you are working on right now to give us a better idea of what you actually need it to do?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Long Live T.S.

I was using the wrong function... bullit helped me out I needed to us HLOOKUP not vlookup

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWminis View Post
I was using the wrong function... bullit helped me out I needed to us HLOOKUP not vlookup
Right on.

<--- Excel Nerd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement