PS3, Wii or Xbox 360 - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

PS3, Wii or Xbox 360

I have never really been big into video games but have been thinking of getting one of these lately so that I won't get bored when I stay home on the weekends & party. Which one would you guys recommend to have fun with? I don't like games with multiple levels. I like sport type games, something where it won't take weeks to finish a game. Shooting games are cool too.

1990 Mustang GT
306, typhoon intake, E303, stock heads, 1.6 FMS R.R., 70 T.B., 80mm PMAS, 42lb injectors, 255 fuel pump, adj. billet regulator, MSD dist., coil & 6A box, BBK shorties, o/r x-pipe, Spintech Pro Streets dumped, T-5, Center Force Dual Friction, 3.55's, S-Trim... 396hp/398trq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 06:43 AM
duh...duh....duh

Ya know, on this matter there are as many opinions as their are a-holes.

I still standby my belief that for -me- the XB360 was the best choice.

However, the PS3 is a solid platform.

For the games you want to play any of the 3 will suffice. I know the least about the Wii, so take it for what it is worth but I -think- it would fail a little more then the XB360/PS3 on the shooter/sports side.

Either way, I'd search for the current best deals make your pick. Sounnds like you'd probably be happy with any of them.

My '03 Sold.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Time Served

yeah that is true each system has thier own good and bad things,
but right now you can get some good deals on new and used xbox 360 online.

http://noizmkr.mybrute.com
05 Stang
96 GT Sold
97 F-150 Sold
00 GT Work in progress...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Lifer

Buy all three and which ever you don't like sell them.

2010 F-350 6.4L 4X4 CC SRW Longbed

Spartan 250 tune, 5 inch Flo-Pro exhaust w/DPF delete, AFE stage 2 CAI
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Ide fuck her in the ass..

ive had them all, ps3 to me is the best, still have a wii which is lots of fun too, 360 isnt a bad choice just not as good as the ps3...

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:17 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

You sound like a very casual gamer. The Wii was targetted towards that audience. However it doesn't do High Def. If you have a big screen you'll want to consider the 360 or PS3.

Most folks seem to agree that the 360 is the better gaming platform due to the game library and the excellent execution of XBox Live (it really is vastly better than anything else). However that doesn't mean that the PS3 has shit when it comes to games. Quite the opposite. I had a lot of fun with my old PS3 but I went back to gaming with the XBOX 360 because there were specific games that I liked on that platform (like Halo 3).

If you have a high def TV and think you would like to watch BluRay movies, then the PS3 is a no brainer. Not only is it a BluRay player but it is by far the best BluRay player on the market. I'm actually going to go buy another PS3 because of this one fact.

So really, you can't go wrong with any of them from a gaming perspective. You should base your pick on what system will best fit your wants and needs.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 01:19 PM
老师

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
You sound like a very casual gamer. The Wii was targetted towards that audience. However it doesn't do High Def. If you have a big screen you'll want to consider the 360 or PS3.

Most folks seem to agree that the 360 is the better gaming platform due to the game library and the excellent execution of XBox Live (it really is vastly better than anything else). However that doesn't mean that the PS3 has shit when it comes to games. Quite the opposite. I had a lot of fun with my old PS3 but I went back to gaming with the XBOX 360 because there were specific games that I liked on that platform (like Halo 3).

If you have a high def TV and think you would like to watch BluRay movies, then the PS3 is a no brainer. Not only is it a BluRay player but it is by far the best BluRay player on the market. I'm actually going to go buy another PS3 because of this one fact.

So really, you can't go wrong with any of them from a gaming perspective. You should base your pick on what system will best fit your wants and needs.
The Wii does 480 p.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 01:29 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post

Yes, it is a good BluRay player ,but it downgrades audio, and doesn't fully support TRUEHD. I think Momo explained it best in the HT forum.

I'll see if I can find that post.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Packin' up...

I have never had a PS3, so can't really give much input on that. However it does allow blue ray DVDs and also playing online is free.

Being a 360 owner I like it a lot. I have enjoyed the Halo series and also now COD. Halo is the main reason why i'm a 360 owner. The fee for xbox live is 49.99 a year.

I also have a Wii. I wouldn't use this as a main source of sport(football, baseball, etc) or FFS games. It's more of a gaming system when you have a few people over to do some bowling or some darts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Lifer

Simple. If you are a young kid or have young kids get the Wii. If you use it more as a media player get the PS3. If you want it for the games and superior online play get the 360. I have all three and prefer the 360, mostly because of the online play.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 06:50 PM
11-05-09

Dammit, I can't find that post about the PS3 audio playback.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 07:01 PM
11-05-09

Found it! http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...cending&page=1

"What's better?" --- "Does my monitor need to be a certain size to tell the difference?" --- "What should I set my settings to?" --- "1080i or 720p" --- "Should I do Optical or HDMI?" --- "What is DSD?" --- "Where can I buy HDMI cables?" --- "What's the difference between $150. HDMI from $3. HDMI?" --- "What's the difference between HDMI and Component?" --- "What are the sound formats my PS3 can handle?" --- etc... etc... etc... Here is everything answered that is constantly repeated on this forum. These are facts and not opinions of mine.

HD Audio
LPCM from an original recording is at 192khz/24bit. Then the studio master bring it down to 192khz/16bit due to extras or whatever other crap is on the Blu Ray Disc if the disc is using BD25(Meaning 25gb) Now, with the original 192khz/24bit the studio can take this and ask Dolby or dts to do some work. Here is what both companies do...

Dolbytakes the original recording 192khz/24bit and use TrueHD to compress and playback the original recording with the 192khz/24bit playback. How does this work? Just think of a Dolby as a .zip file and the PS3 as the processor that can uncompress it. This is in other words the original recording. Right? Wrong. The only reason that Dolby isn't the original recording is because Dolby has set a standard with TrueHD that for some really crazy odd ball reason subtracts -4db from the Dialog Normalization when playing back TrueHD content. Think of it as flag (Like DD-EX) that you can't turn off. Why did they do this? Because they believe that louder isn't better. And since no receiver can take away the "Flag" placed by Dolby; TrueHD can never be listen to as bit for bit from the original recording. Playback of TrueHD requires that your A/V Receiver decode LPCM 5.1 192khz/24bit

dts-HD-MA-HRA now can take the original recording and compress (.zip) it to the BD25gb dts-HD-HRA (Which is close to the original)/ BD50gb dts-HD-MA (Which is the original) and play it back from the PS3 with "Yes ladies and gentleman" bit for bit identical to the original master 192khz/24bit just as old boy Steven Spielberg intended us to enjoy our film. A flawless perfection. Playback ofdts-HD-MA requires that your A/V Receiver decode LPCM 5.1 or 7.1 192khz/24bit and for dts-HD-HRA requires that your A/V Receiver decode LPCM 5.1 or 7.1 96khz/24bit (Depending on which of the two is used on the Blu ray disc)

So why use dts or Dolby if LPCM can do it?

Because LPCM still takes up a lot of space on any type of disc. Dolby and dts are better at compressing sound and keeping it closer to or at the original recording. So next time you play a Blu Ray movie title which format should you choose? Here's a little chart to show you the order...

dts-HD-MA = LPCM 192khz/24bit > TrueHD > dts-HD-HRA = LPCM 96khz/24bit (THESE FORMATS CAN ONLY BE ACHIEVED THROUGH HDMI. Another important reminder is that the PS3 CANNOT! Bitstream dts-HD-MA-HRA or Dolby TrueHD. So you must set your Audio options to LPCM (NOT BITSTREAM) when listening to dts-HD or TrueHD to enjoy these formats. The PS3 will do all the internal decoding. Your Receiver MUST! be compatible with LPCM 7.1 192khz/24bit to enjoy all of these formats.)

How to setup Playstation 3 to enjoy these formats?

1) Turn on Console
2) Settings
3) Sound Settings
4) Audio Output Settings
5) HDMI
6) Automatic (Will automatically detect what your A/V Receiver can decode but LPCM 5.1 192khz or 7.1 192khz must be selected within it.)
Manual (Which you must select LPCM 5.1 192khz or 7.1 192khz)
7) Ok
8) Finish

Steps 1-8 are only required to do once.

9) While watching a Blu ray movie with either dts-HD-HRA, dts-HD-MA or TrueHD press TRIANGLE
10) Select A/V Settings
11) Audio Output Format
12) Select Linear PCM (Bitstream is only needed for when watching DVD's or a Blu ray disc which already has a Linear PCM soundtrack)

*****How to listen to HD Audio if I only have 5.1/7.1 Analog Inputs?*****

----- http://www.ambery.com/2hddodtsdihd.html ----- This converter will allow HD Audio to output via HDMI from your PS3 to the converter, which will then output the audio Analog using Y-Adapters to your A/V Reciever Multi Channel Inputs. This will allow playback of LPCM / dts-HD-MA-HRA / Dolby TrueHD / DSD / MP3 5.1 / AAC 5.1 (Thanks goes to "un4gvn" for the find of this device which I'm sure will help many of our fellow PS3 users who don't wish to purchase a new A/V Reciever just yet but do have a 5.1 / 7.1 analog inputs on there current A/V Receiver.)
__________________________________________________ _______________

HD Video
i=Interlaced (Lines A show then B are presented to show an image)
p=Progressive (Lines A and B are shown together at one time to produce the image)
Hz, fps, p are all equal to the same terminology. Example: 60Hz is 60fps or 60p

480i for a vertical frame resolution of 480 lines. The digitally transmitted horizontal resolution is usually 720 or 704 pixels with an aspect ratio of 4:3 and therefore a display resolution of (640 x 480)which is Standard Definition TV (SDTV). (Lowest Resolution)

480p denotes 480vertical scanning lines, usually with a horizontal resolution of 640 pixels (640 x 480) and 4:3 aspect ratio or a horizontal resolution of 854 pixels (854 x 480) and 16:9 aspect ratio. The fps is usually 30p or 60p; but are also compatible with 24p. The frames are displayed progressive as opposed to interlaced which is Enhanced Definition TV (EDTV).

1080i is a High-Definition Video mode. The image usually assumes a widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9, implying a horizontal resolution of 1920 pixels and a frame resolution of (1920 × 1080) or about 2,073,600 million pixels displayed as two parts of 1920 x 540 fields. Since the image is an interlaced image only half of the pixels are refreshed per frame. The two frame rates in common use are 25p (in countries that use 50 Hz alternating current 240v) and 30p (in 60 Hz countries 120v). Interlacing can lead to motion artifacts, where very fast motion causes the two fields to have drastically different images for a few frames (Which is also commonly referred to as a bleeding image. This is when colors of one image bleed out onto the nearest image on the screen). Most 1080i CRTs have hardware with the ability to minimize this affect, but it can be particularly bad in lower quality CRTs or progressive scan TVs. For 1080i Native TV's (CRT's), 1080i is generally preferred over 720p as the display cannot display a progressive 720p signal. What it must do is interlace and upscale the 720p to 1080i which with most times can horribly affect the image. By the same means displaying a Native 1080i image to a 720p Native display can lead to the same turn around.

720p is a High-Definition mode and assumes a widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9, a vertical resolution of 720 pixels and a horizontal resolution of 1280 pixels (1280 x 720) displaying on the screen at every given moment for a total of about 1,049,088 million pixels and is considered 2nd on the High Definition Video charts. The frame rate can be either implied by the context or specified in hertz after the letter p. The five 720p frame rates in common use are 24p, 25p, 30p, 50p and 60p. In general Europe, Australia, much of Asia, Africa, and parts of South America are or will be using the 25p and50p, whereas North and Central America, Japan, South Korea, Philippines are using 24p for movies, and 60p for high motion programming. (This setting in commonly used for live broadcasting of sports games, watching of fast motion cinema and for playing video games; in the case to avoid any flicker or dragging of a image which is normally caused by interlaced signals.)

1080p (1920 x 1080) is considered a High-Definition Video mode and is the highest video image that can be achieved. The image usually assumes a widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9, implying a horizontal resolution of 1920 pixels. This creates a frame resolution of (1920×1080), or 2,073,600 pixels in total displaying on the screen and is considered to be "Complete High-Definition". The image can also carry 24p, 25p, 30p, 50p and 60p Because of the file size of this format, most things created using 1080p are movies and an extremely small amount of video games. Due to the size of the video space it takes, no Cable Company has yet to signal this option through any of there receivers. (Commonly upscaling is done using High End Audio Receivers and now several Brands of HDTV's)(While computer monitors can achieve image resolutions of 2560 x 1600 televisions can only achieve up to 1920 x 1080. Computer monitors have always been able to reach High Definition and can only do Progressive Scan but since most computer monitors are small it has always been easier to achieve HD Video on monitors.)

So what's the video display recommend for video setup on your PS3?

Well this all depends on your display. If your display has a Native Resolution of one of these formats without a Hardware upscaler (Most TV's don't have HD upscalers), then these would be the recommended settings for your display. Also remember that Monitors are not the same as HDTV's. While HDTV's can accept/playback Interlaced images, Monitors can only accept/playback Progressive images.

1080p ----- Chances are that your display can accept and playback all SDTV (480i), EDTV (480p), HDTV (720p, 1080i, 1080p) as it's being broadcasted via disc.

1080i ----- 1080i, 720p (ONLY if 720p format is actually supported and played back at 720p) 480p, 480i.

720p ----- 720p, 480p, 480i

480p ----- 480p and 480i

480i ----- You don't have any options. Just 480i and a single PS3 setting (Cross Color Reduction Filter) to enable which will help clean up your image.

1080p > 720p > 1080i > 480p > 480i (These video formats can ONLY be achieved through HDMI & Component video (Except 480i which can be achieved through S-Video and Composite Video); HOWEVER DVD VIDEO UPSCALING FOR COPY PROTECTED DISC'S CAN ONLY BE ACHIEVED THROUGH HDMI THAT IS COMPATIBLE WITH HDCP. If the disc is not Copy Protected Such as a backup DVD or DVD Shrink or a program one might use to strip off the Copy Protection and lastly some DVD's just don't have copy protection then Video Upscaling can be achieved using Component.)

How does video upscaling work and affect my HDTV?

Upconversion is the term used to describe the conversion of a lower image resolution to an apparently higher one. In order to achieve that higher resolution, the player fills in additional image data by assessing existing pixels and intelligently predicting what the surrounding pixels should look like. Placing a video scaler before a limited-capability display device will not remove the limitations of that display device. For example, you can’t make a 720p display take a 1080p signal and expect to see all 1920x1080 pixels on the 1280x720 display surface. A common misconception of consumers is that if you upscale to 1080p from a 720p source you would end up with a better image. THIS IS WRONG!!! Since the final display surface does not contain the necessary pixel amount to display the 720p content in its entirety, there is a loss in the vertical and horizontal picture quality resolution in the final displayed image. It is preferred to send the display the exact resolution that it needs to output a final display image. So for those of you have your HDTV's that can accept all HD Video standards but uncheck them on your Playstation 3 Video Display Settings because you want the games software upscaler to bring your resolution to 1080p because you think it'll look better, you're actually making the image look worse. The Playstation 3 does not have a Hardware Upscaler for Playstation 3 games. Leave your Video Display Settings alone and let the Playstation 3 decide what's the best choice for your HDTV. Another thing to remember is that just because some game titles advertise on the back of the box 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p doesn't mean that it has all these as Native Resolutions. What it's simply implying is that for example: If your HDTV can do only 480p and 1080i then the discs upconverting software will start up and playback at 1080i to compensate for your Television. Another example would be your HDTV can only do 1080p well then the disc upconverting software will start up and upconvert so you can enjoy the game. In "laymans terms", all that little box of resolutions really means is that the game is compatible with all types of HD and non-HD TV's.

What is the difference between Software Upscaling and Hardware Upscaling?

--- Software upscaling takes the same image and fills in the blanks where it is needed. While upconversion is based on software the limit is on how much the software runs in the background and amount of work (resources) the software is capable to use.

--- Hardware upscaling takes the image and re-creates it to playback at 1920 x 1080. This enhances your image. (The quality depends on how well your Hardware upscaler is.) While most Hardware upscalers use Video Chips and HD chips to upscale images the upconversion is really only limited to the hardware capabilites which is normally designed to only enable if selected under video settings to recreate HD content through SD content. In other words if your player has hardware upscaling, the HD upscaler was specifical designed to activate when playing non HD content. This is the dedicated purpose for the hardware upscaling.

In the end while the Playstation 3 does have Hardware upscaling for DVD's and Playstation 1 and 2 titles, it DOES NOT!!! have Hardware Upscaling for Playstation 3 titles only Software upscaling on selected titles. So again; Leave your Video Display Settings alone and let the Playstation 3 decide what's the best choice for your HDTV.

What is the difference in Refresh Rates?

Refresh rates vary from 60hz to 24hz on Hardware playing back an image such as a Blu ray movie title or a Video game. The reason Blu ray movie titles carry both a 60hz version and a 24hz version is simply because some HDTV's just can't display 24hz. It's too low of a fresh rate to display for the HDTV. So what exactly do these numbers mean? Well it is defined as how many times the image is refreshed onto the screen. The lower your fresher rate is the better quality of the video. Now with today's technology and consistent advancements HDTV's do have the capablility to refresh 24hz in a 120hz display. What is done is the refresh rate on the HDTV takes in the image and produces it 5 times into the screens refresh rate or 2 times from the 60hz image which is normally our video games. (24hz multiplied by 5 gives you 120hz or 60hz multiplied by 2 gives you 120hz; hence the 120hz) Now up until recently 120hz had been the best possible refresh rate which could be achieved for HDTV's up until recently. Sony released the worlds first 240hz refresh rate LCD Flat Panel HDTV. At the CES2009 Samsung also displayed there soon to be released 240hz LN52"B750 and LN46"B750 which the image when displayed back was truly better than the Sony competitor. Since the show the price Sony's KDL-52"XBR-7 has taken a price drop of $1500. from it's original $4,500. MSRP. Sony's 240hz can now be found for as low as even $2,899.

Does my monitor need to be a certain size to tell the difference?

No. The difference can be seen from any size display. Some will say that it's difficult to tell the difference. For there eyes, yes it might be. It's about how well your pupil can intake the image. While some may have a difficult time, others may see it instantly.

What is DSD?

DSD stands for Direct Stream Digital. This is an audio format which was developed by Sony & Philips during the Audio format music War which was in competition with DVD-Audio. Unlike DVD-Audio the SACD didn't carry video. Although it could, Sony chose not to. At the end of the Audio format war neither of the two formats defeated the Audio CD. However till today Sony continued to sell these discs in a Hybrid format which will playback Stereo on a normal CD player or 5.1 in a SACD player (Playstation 3). To fully enjoy 5.1 Surround Sound from the SACD your Receiver MUST!!! be cable of accepting HDMI LPCM 5.1 192khz/24bit Since the PS3 cannot bitstream DSD; the LPCM setting must be set. Why at such a high setting to enjoy the sound? Because a direct comparison cannot be made between DSD and LPCM. Why is this? Because DSD actual performance is equaled in Mhz. When broken down DSD will playback at it's own 100khz which would be considered 192khzover LPCM and a 20bit DSD would be considered 24bit over LPCM. So in a sense DSD is greater than LPCM but LPCM can decode DSD. Now you understand why the two cannot be compared to each other. When comparing SACD Audio from a listening position "The sound it creates is that of an amazing live performance at a concert hall in Munich."

*****(DSD is also much higher than HD Audio and is considered the best and puriest Audio that can be achieved. So if you get a chance, please do listen to a 5.1 SACD and enjoy.)

How to setup Playstation 3 to enjoy this format?

1) Turn on Console
2) Settings
3) Sound Settings
4) Audio Output Settings
5) HDMI
6) Automatic (Will automatically detect what your A/V Receiver can decode but LPCM 5.1 192khz must be selected within it.)
Manual (Which you must select LPCM 5.1 192khz)
7) Ok
8) Finish

What are the differences between dts and Dolby Digital?

dts is a sound format which was first introduced with Jurrasic Park and stands for Digital Theatre Sound. When dts was first released for consumer products it had a bit rate of 640kbps and as technology and time have passed has increased to 1.5Mbps. How does this compare to Dolby Digital? Well Dolby Digital has always had there audio bit rates at 448kbps when introduced to DVD's. And later with the help of THX (Lucas Films) introduced a 5.1 EX (Extended Surround) Which carried audio from the Surround Left and Surround Right into the MONO 6th speaker. However, since the speaker was not a dedicated channel and only matrix it could still only be called 5.1 which is why the EX was added. The first movie to introduce 5.1 EX sound into it was Star Wars Episode I. Being in competition with Dolby Digital, dts went about and created there own Matrix Rear Channel (dts-ES Matrix), but shortly after introduced a dedicated 6th channel which introduced us to dts 6.1 ES(Extended Surround). dts is the only digital audio format in our industry that is capable of delivering 6.1 channels of discrete audio on standard definition content. dts also later introduced dts 96khz/24bit 5.1 audio music DVD's which were 5.1 discrete channels of music played back at the 96khz/24bit just as the format is called. Not only did dts introduce this format but later DVD-Audio became a competing format. Both formats later became obsolete as DSD (See Above) was introduced by Sony and Philips. So which of the two formats sounds better? dts wins by a long one in the audio format. dts has always been thriving to achieve the closer or if not identical to the way the audio producers intended for us to hear. Down from DVD's dts 5.1 (Which playback at from 640kbps up to 1.5Mbps), 5.1-ES Matrix (640kbps up to 1.5Mbps), 6.1-ES Discrete (640kbps up to 1.5Mbps), to dts audio CD's (640kbps up to 1.5Mbps), to dts 96khz/24bit DVD's.

Interesting fact about dts:

dts technology is based off of a core. Meaning that dts actually gets upgraded from the core and that is how newer formats are introduced. Now, what does this mean to consumers? Well what this means is that if dts made a Blu ray title with a dts 7.1 HD-MA or a DVD with a dts 6.1-ES Discrete soundtrack, within that track there is a dts 5.1 soundtrack as well. (What that is known as, is the core of dts.) So for those of you who's receiver can't decode dts 7.1 HD-MA or dts 6.1-ES Discrete you can still select it and have the core playback in dts 5.1

What is Dolby Pro Logic anddts NEO:6 and Neural THX Surround ?

Dolby Pro Logic only enables a 1 to 4 Channel Playback from Mono or Stereo sources.
Dolby Pro Logic II enables a discrete 5.1 Channel Playback from 2 Channel sources. 3 formats are available in this format. Movies, Music, Game
Dolby Pro Logic IIx enables a discrete 6.1 or 7.1 Channel Playback from 2 Channel sources. 3 formats are available in this format. Movies, Music, Game
Dolby Pro Logic IIz enables a 9.1 Channel Playback from 2 Channel sources or above. (Inspired by Yamaha's Cinema DSP HD3 HD Cubic)

dts NEO:6 enables a discrete 6 Channel Playback from 2 Channel sources how this technology is different from Dolby Pro Logic is it enables playback with the full-range channels with higher seperation just like digital discrete signal playback. 2 formats are available in this format. Cinema and Music

***Yamaha Cinema DSP***
Yamaha has always been a leader in new audio formats. The first major advance was Tri-Field Cinema DSP, (The DSP standing for Digital Sound Processing and not Digital Signal Processing as this means to other manufactures) which produced three sound fields. The presence sound field was in the front (Center) and the two surround sound fields were in the rear (Surround Left and Surround Right) which created a 3 Dimension listening position. Later this would be known as 5.1 As technology began to advance as did Yamaha with a Quad-Field Cinema DSP which added a speaker directly behind the listening position (Rear Center) This created what is known as today a 6.1 But as audio in Home Theaters became more popular it was decided that adding another rear channel to create 7.1 would be the better choice on a more realistic 3 Dimensional Home Theater setup. Well in 2007 Yamaha created Cinema DSP HD3 (HD Cubic), what this created was the worlds first 9.1 or 9.2 and the worlds first and only 11.1 or 11.2 Surround Sound System by adding 2 Front Presence Channel on top the Left and Right speakers for 9.1 playback and a Subwoofer in the rear for 9.2 playback. And for the 11.1 playback adding 2 Front Presence Channels and 2 Rear Presence Channels for a 11.1 or 11.2 with the Subwoofer in the rear. Again with the Presence Channels above the Front Left and Right speakers as well as the Rear Left Surround and Rear Right Surround speakers. Why did Yamaha choose to place this speakers so high up? They wanted to create a more in depth feeling of your envoirnment from richer, more spacious, more detailed and a extra vertical dimension. To be able to understand that things come from above and not just from infront of you. From rain drops falling to buildings crumbling, planes taking off, shoot outs with explosions and debre, to Mozart playing his Symphony. Yamaha has truly done an amazing job. This technology will take any 2 Channel, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 Channel playback and create a perfectly 9.1/9.2 or 11.1/11.2 Surround Sound Playback field.

**Being an owner of the Yamaha RX-Z11 I must say that it was well worth the $5,500. investment. From watching movies as "The Perfect Storm" (5.1 Dolby Digital) with the rain falling down, it truly enchances the feel of the movie. It makes you believe you are truly sitting in the rain. I enjoy mostly listening to my DSD discs and listening to "Carl Orff: O Fortuna" (2 Channel DSD) with the Concert Hall experiences and the putting in "Miles Davis" (5.1 DSD) to recreate "The Village Vanguard" here in NYC is truly a perfect replica. Being a frequent guest at "The Village Vanguard" I must say, "It's sounds just like it. Minus of course the people speaking, the walking around, and the drinks coming non-stop. Plus I don't have to pay for the table and the hourly drinking charge."

Neural THX Surround (Now dts Neural Audio) enables 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 Channel Playback from any 2 Channel source including a live broadcast feed, a video game .mp3 .acc etc... Literally ANY type of audio feed and produce a much better 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 playback than it's partners. Currently XM Radio provides 1 XM-HD Neural THX Surround stations (XM-HD Pops Channel 77) which fully utilizes multi channel playback over the air along side with many HD FM Radio stations. However the technology is so well advanced it can be used on any audio experiance. (Another great news to add to this is that now 1/6/2009 dts is the owner of Neural Audio so do expect to see more from THX and dts to come from this.) (Me personally: I'm so very excited what these two amazing companies will bring to us in the future. With dts keeping the audio for theatre playback and THX fixing the finer points on audio and video, I'm just growing anxious on waiting. The future of these 2 companies and potential of them working together I imagine will be limitless.)

(These formats must be on your A/V Receiver to utilize!!!)

What is THX ?

THX Certified products undergo intense requirements from THX from the equipment used to test the products to equipment that is used to make the products. All MUST meet THX standards before THXwould begin to work on the project. THX performs many Certifications from Cinemas, Home and Professional Audio/Video Receivers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Computer Hardware, Movie Titles, Music Titles and now Video Games. So what does this all mean and why do I want to THX logo on my next product? When something is brought to THX they go through the Hardware/Software and correct, the Audio and Video bits. From the background noise that needn’t be there to those that should be there; from lighting to textile to darkness. THX goes back and fixes all of these so that we as the consumer can get the best Picture Quality out of titles and an amazingly Detailed Audio experience. The Levels of THX Certification that THX has are THX Certified Multimedia (For Multimedia), THX Certified (Any Product which meet minimum requirements) THX Select (Speakers), THX Select2 (Receivers), THX Select2 Plus (Receivers), THX Ultra (Equalizers, Projection Screens Audio & Video Cables), THX Ultra2 (Speakers, Audio/Video Receivers, Pre-Amplifiers, Power Amplifiers) and lastly THX Ultra2 Plus (For Hi-End Home and Professional Audio/Video Receivers and Hi-End Home and Professional Pre-Amplifiers) While the audio and visual aspects of a title can be somewhat appreciated on a non THX Certified Audio/Video Receiver the true potential is brought out when playing back on a THX Certified Audio/Video Receiver. Another thing to note as to why not all titles are THX Certified is because it’s cost quite a bit more to have this Certification onto any movie/music/game title or theater, home A/V Receiver. No one wants to pay the extra cash to THX . THX also introduced in existance with Dolby Labs THX Surround EX which is where Dolby Digital 5.1-EX was introduced. Another thing to remember is that THX is not a competitor in the Audio format or Video format, but a partner with any and all companies.

THIS CERTIFICATION MUST BE ON YOUR AUDIO/VIDEO RECEIVER TO FULLY UTILIZE!!!

Where to buy HDMI cables?

www.monoprice.com

What's the difference between $150. HDMI cable and $3. HDMI cable?

NOTHING!!! With digital signals it's either hit or miss. You either have a picture/sound or you don't. There is absolutely no difference.

What's the difference between HDMI and Component?

HDMI can offer extra variations such as SUPER WHITE, DEEP COLOR (30/36 bit) transmission, xvYCC Color Space, 240Hz and 24Hz Refresh Rates and Auto Lip-Sync Compensation and bit increments of picture quality (As well as carry HD Audio and Standard Audio). As where Component you can't. So the bonus with HDMI is a better picture transfer through a digital signal with a higher bandwidth producing a cleaner, sharper picture with an amazing audio experience.

How to enjoy dts-audio CD's (Not the same as dts-DVD's)?

For HDMI set your settings as so...

From XMB Menu Settings:
Sound Settings: Audio Output Settings:
Check Dolby Digital 5.1Ch & dts 5.1Ch (LPCM 2Ch 44.1Khz & 48Khz are checked by force)

From XMB Menu Settings:
Music Settings:
Check that Audio Output Frequency: 44.1/88.2/176.4 is your setting along with Bitmapping: TYPE 3 selected.

For Optical this is the way you're going to have to go.

From XMB Menu Settings:
Sound Settings: Audio Output Settings:
Check Dolby Digital 5.1Ch & dts 5.1Ch (LPCM 2Ch 44.1Khz & 48Khz are checked by force)

From XMB Menu Settings:
Music Settings:
Check that Audio Output Frequency: 44.1/88.2/176.4 is your setting along with Bitmapping: OFF selected.

As for Audio formats the PS3 can Bitstream from Optical and HDMI:

dts-Audio CD's
dts-96/24 DVD's
dts-5.1 DVD's
dts-6.1 ES DVD's both Matrix & Discrete
Dolby Pro Logic (1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0)
Dolby Digital 5.1
Dolby Digital 5.1-EX (With or without Flag)

Linear PCM 2.0

HDMI ONLY!!!

Linear PCM 2.0 through 7.1
(As of 2.40 update PS3 can now playback AAC 5.1 and MP3 5.1 through 5.1 LPCM. To achieve this, the following settings must be applied)

MUSIC SETTINGS:
Audio CD Output Frequency - 44.1/88.2/176.4
Bitmapping - Type 3

SOUND SETTINGS: Audio Output Settings:
LPCM 5.1 44.1khz and higher

*****Also while playing back an Audio CD through HDMI, if 5.1 LPCM is selected the PS3 will playback 2.0 channel audio CD's but activate the 5.1 LPCM Flag to the Receiver. While there is a work around, it's almost really not worth the hassle. But if you want to use your Recievers sound fields/DSP whatever you want to call it here's how to go about it... This will have your PS3 send the flag out as 2.0 LPCM

How to get 2.0 LPCM through Audio CD's:
1) Clearly the first thing you can do is connect the Optical cable and when you want to listen to a Audio CD's choose the audio to output through the Optical and NOT THROUGH HDMI. (This is the quicker and easy one. But it's a pain since you have to constantly change your audio output settings while going from CD's to Games/Movies/DSD/etc...)
2) This is the annoying step because you'll have to uncheck everything manually and go into your HDMI settings and select Dolby Digtal / dts / and ONLY LPCM 2.0 SETTINGS EVERYTHING ELSE MUST BE UNSELECTED.

(EVERYTHING ON THIS THREAD HAS BEEN TESTED BY SELF AND IS PROVEN TO WORK!!! If there is something you'd like me to try and figure out just ask. I'll gladly change my settings to get yours working.)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 03:17 AM
PVC Racing

Osiris - thanks for posting that up. That will help me out with my PS3

mike69- its up to you. Go down to the local Best buy and play a game on the PS3 and 360. Figure out which controller feels better and than go from there. You can't go wrong with either one. Now I was a PS guy till I started playing Halo. Then I have change my ways and I stand by xbox for gaming. But I do own a PS3, mainly for movies. I have tried a few games, but the controller felt weird. lol. I will amet the games look better on the PS3

"Less talkie talkie more ping pong"
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I went a head & got me a PS3. I really don't care for games like Halo or any other games like that. They are too complicated for me. Lol... I like the simple games that don't require codes & books to learn how to beat it. I'm not a big gamer at all, just want something to have fun with when I have friends over drinking some beer.

1990 Mustang GT
306, typhoon intake, E303, stock heads, 1.6 FMS R.R., 70 T.B., 80mm PMAS, 42lb injectors, 255 fuel pump, adj. billet regulator, MSD dist., coil & 6A box, BBK shorties, o/r x-pipe, Spintech Pro Streets dumped, T-5, Center Force Dual Friction, 3.55's, S-Trim... 396hp/398trq
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Thats against the law Man

I use my 360 as a media center more often than anything else. Used to run a Windows Media Center server and stream audio/video (movies) to it, but I now use Tversity on the server and stream from it to the 360. A good torrent app. a lot of storage on the server, and frequent visits to btjunkie.org, and I've got a setup that far exceeds anything like Netflix.....hell, if you know where to look you can even sometimes get movies before they actual release to theaters.

69/70ish Mustang
Dedicated To The Hater Purists

70' Chevelle RagTop

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 09:05 AM
How you doin'

i'm a casual gamer, but i have both the ps3 and the wii and i just haven't found many games on the wii that i really like. i like the sports games that came with it and some of the wii fit games are pretty fun, but i mostly like playing the old nes games, strangely enough. i mostly play tiger woods 09 on my ps3, but i do like the motorstorm and racing games...oh yeah, and grand theft auto is pretty cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement