VIOS Everything. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

FIOS Everything.

So peeps, I am ditching Direct Tv and switching to Fios. I will have all the channels and HD package and that will bump my internet up to 20/5. From 10/2. The good so far is that Verizon is giving me a $100 visa card and 2 months free of the movie channels. The only downfall is that my Direct Tv receiver has 250 hours recording and the Fios has 80 max. They do have this cool feature called the multi media room function, where you can watch whatever is recorded in one room( lets just say the master bedroom) in any other room(livingroom) in the house that has a receiver of course (vice versa). I have been with Direct Tv for over 6 years and kinda nervous about switching. I will save $50 a month switching and still getting all the channels.

Since when does ISP offer virus protection? What could they offer? Just weird they asked me if I wanted it. So far, unlike the other ISP's I have used the Fios by far is the best IMHO.

I thought about posting this in the media but really wanted to share with the yall what Verizon has to offer.

If you have this already let me know what you think about it so far. It is being installed tomorrow morning. I ordered it Monday. Pretty good turn around. Also they provided the best customer service I have ever had over the phone. These people will call you back. So you don't have to deal with the phone system. Sweet.

Don made me remove my sig

Last edited by 06GTFanatic; 05-20-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Lifer

You should give fios a try.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhatch View Post
You should give fios a try.
VIOS is the vato version

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 08:20 PM
11-05-09

Is VIOS the Chinese bootleg of Fios?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Lifer

What the hell is a VIOS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Damn it did i spell it wrong?

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:20 PM
duh...duh....duh

I always find out what is going on via dslreports.com for FIOS, could not find any new VIOS service though. Cutting edge shit I guess.

My '03 Sold.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Okay....... Okay..............I fixed it.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:30 PM
duh...duh....duh

1. I dig the service.
2. Why ya asking if you already ordered it? It's like asking about the steak as it is on its way out to your table.

My '03 Sold.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Just wanted to here any pros and cons. Trying to cut down on any disappointments.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
I could be wrong, but I swear I heard somewhere that you could x-fer stuff from your DVR to a PC via 1394 cable(firewire).

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:41 PM
duh...duh....duh

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber - If there is any good info to be had, it'll be in that forum and their FIOS TV forum.

My '03 Sold.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:44 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
I could be wrong, but I swear I heard somewhere that you could x-fer stuff from your DVR to a PC via 1394 cable(firewire).
Last I checked (about 6 months ago before I bought a tivo) is that you COULD do things such as external drives, but they'd have to enable that port. Past that I've never heard of anything.

The FIOS DVR sucked balls anyway, but that was the only problem I had with the FIOS service.

My '03 Sold.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Full tilt boogie !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06GTFanatic View Post
So peeps, I am ditching Direct Tv and switching to Fios. I will have all the channels and HD package and that will bump my internet up to 20/5. From 10/2. The good so far is that Verizon is giving me a $100 visa card and 2 months free of the movie channels. The only downfall is that my Direct Tv receiver has 250 hours recording and the Fios has 80 max. They do have this cool feature called the multi media room function, where you can watch whatever is recorded in one room( lets just say the master bedroom) in any other room(livingroom) in the house that has a receiver of course (vice versa). I have been with Direct Tv for over 6 years and kinda nervous about switching. I will save $50 a month switching and still getting all the channels.

Since when does ISP offer virus protection? What could they offer? Just weird they asked me if I wanted it. So far, unlike the other ISP's I have used the Fios by far is the best IMHO.

I thought about posting this in the media but really wanted to share with the yall what Verizon has to offer.

If you have this already let me know what you think about it so far. It is being installed tomorrow morning. I ordered it Monday. Pretty good turn around. Also they provided the best customer service I have ever had over the phone. These people will call you back. So you don't have to deal with the phone system. Sweet.
You can also view pics and listen to music from your PC through your Home media DVR .

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
FIOS DVR boxes are junk in terms of capacity and reliability. One of the primary reasons I canceled my FIOS TV service and went with DISH. My DISH DVR holds 300 hours of SD programming and has multi-room DVR. I'll just say good luck with your FIOS DVR. Mine would delete my DVR content when they pushed through a software and/or firmware update. I also had Verizon VoiceWing VOIP and it was a cluster fuck. They could not get it to work reliably with my router no matter how many ports we forwarded or what IPs we DMZ'd. I canceled their asses as well and ordered Vonage. Pulled the Vonage phone adapter out of the box and plugged it into the router. Boom - dial tone and zero problems. And I won't even bother to talk about how horrible Verizon customer service is.

However, for some odd reason their FIOS Broadband Service is the diametric opposite of their FIOS TV service. It works and is reliable day in and day out.

Quote:
Most ISPs offer a software bundle when you first sign up. Some of the software is free to the customer and some is shareware. It just another means of them generating additional revenue off the sale.

Quote:
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.

Last edited by Mustangman_2000; 05-20-2009 at 09:54 PM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:07 AM
Formerly 5.0Vert

VISS is no bueno, just use a free program like avg. by the way the 20/5 speed is going to increase to 25/25 pretty soon. enjoy

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 05:38 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post

However, for some odd reason their FIOS Broadband Service is the diametric opposite of their FIOS TV service. It works and is reliable day in and day out.
So, I'm not 100% sure you meant to phrase it this way. I personally never have any problems with the TV service itself. Meaning, pic quality is good and there is rarely an outage. My hair puller was that damned DVR they charge you for that sucks so bad in comparison to even TWC's DVR. Anyway, once I started using a TIVO life was grand on the FIOS TV side. Were you have specific FIOS TV issues besides the DVR?

My '03 Sold.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
So, I'm not 100% sure you meant to phrase it this way. I personally never have any problems with the TV service itself. Meaning, pic quality is good and there is rarely an outage. My hair puller was that damned DVR they charge you for that sucks so bad in comparison to even TWC's DVR. Anyway, once I started using a TIVO life was grand on the FIOS TV side. Were you have specific FIOS TV issues besides the DVR?
FIOS TV in terms of HD picture quality was great. However, they pushed through a software patch twice and both times it deleted all my DVR content. First time I blew it off, but the second time I had about 30 hours of programs deleted. Tech support didn't do much to assuage my disappointment either. They just gave me the "can't find anything wrong on their end" run around. I also experienced the all too common glitch of the DVR forgetting scheduled programs. http://text.broadbandreports.com/for...duled-programs Therefore, at that point I decided it was time to move on. However, I retained their FIOS Broadband because it's been trouble free.

I switched to DISH and couldn't be happier. Reliable service, (glitch free) high storage capacity multi-room DVR, lots of HD programming, and customer service has been great for me on those rare times I have to call.

Maybe other folks will have better luck with FIOS TV, but it's not for me.

Quote:
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 08:16 PM
duh...duh....duh

Okay, so we're on the same page. I cannot support ya enough that the DVR sucks. Sad really, since both the TV/Internet service rock - if they just gave you a halfway decent DVR, everyone would be happy as could be.

My '03 Sold.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
FIOS DVR boxes are junk in terms of capacity and reliability. One of the primary reasons I canceled my FIOS TV service and went with DISH. My DISH DVR holds 300 hours of SD programming and has multi-room DVR. I'll just say good luck with your FIOS DVR. Mine would delete my DVR content when they pushed through a software and/or firmware update. I also had Verizon VoiceWing VOIP and it was a cluster fuck. They could not get it to work reliably with my router no matter how many ports we forwarded or what IPs we DMZ'd. I canceled their asses as well and ordered Vonage. Pulled the Vonage phone adapter out of the box and plugged it into the router. Boom - dial tone and zero problems. And I won't even bother to talk about how horrible Verizon customer service is.

Most ISPs offer a software bundle when you first sign up. Some of the software is free to the customer and some is shareware. It just another means of them generating additional revenue off the sale.
Voicewing was crap and has been discontinued, digital voice is totally different btw. as for your tv issues, i've run into a few people that have had your issues with the dvr, but i've run into people who've had that with dish and direct, and charter, and time warner. Some people never have issues with any provider, some get em like the plague. And as far as customer service, won't argue with you on that one, but i will say that the number of people who've told me customer service sucks has dropped and the trend has reversed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement