Hard Drive cloning problem - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Professional Driver

Hard Drive cloning problem

I am finally getting around to installing my 500GB drive into my m1710. I am using Acronis Migrate Easy 7. I followed the instructions and proceeded with the automatic mode.
After it cloned the drive I rebooted PC and let it boot up with the 120GB drive, then shut down and swapped the drives. It started booting normally until it got to the XP splash screen - there it stayed for approx 5 seconds before going blue screen on me. It said to reboot(no change), then check the hard drive controller or remove the new hard drive.
I reinstalled the original drive and it boots fine, and at first I could see the 500gb in tree(it was only showing to be 110gb), now I have lost it in the tree. I can see it under as "disk 1" - the volume shows to be 110gb "unallocated".

I think I messed up the formatting somehow, but I cannot see the drive to format it back to 500gb.

How do I eliminate a partition I cannot see? reformat this drive back to it's full capacity

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:56 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

you need to make sure you're using the proper software. It appears to have cloned your partition and not been set to allocate all available space. Basically the partition table has been cloned identically, including the space. I suggest you use Norton Ghost, you will need both drives installed and operating in the computer, set the 500gb as the secondary. Copy the MBR, partition, and all system files, when you boot the 500GB you should see all your data, and the remaining 400gb.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Professional Driver

It is a laptop, so I have to use an external enclosure. I had it hooked up via USB, the firewire port on my M1710 is the small connector and the enclosure has the large connector(didn't have an adapter handy).

The current problem is not being able to see the drive at all, not sure if it is the drive(WD Scorpio Blue) or the enclosure(Macally PHR-S250CC). The enclosure lights up and I can feel that the HDD is spinning but it doesn't show up in the tree - tried it on the Dell, the Acer, and my G5(USB and firewire) at work.

My GF is looking for her 2.5" SATA enclosure so I can narrow down the problem.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Professional Driver

OK, got a chance to install the drive in another enclosure and had the same symptom - will not read. I am sure that the drive is defective and is under warranty from WD. Now my only question is what to do about the data on the drive? After all, in it's original run it did go through the entire process of cloning my drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement